Yes
App. Filed.......
12-06-2019
AOR Received.
12-06-2019
LANDED..........
18-09-2021
Update
Applied on Dec 8, 2020 for myself and my spouse.
My BWOP approved on Feb 16, 2021
My Spouse approved on March 9, 2021
We are both in Canada.

I was super worried because I thought both application would approve together.

Thank you Lord, for giving us a little hope, or something to hold on to . We have been waiting on our PR approval for 21 months on the 12th .

Reactions: Babamo

Rishita

Star Member
May 12, 2018
They initially refused it saying that I did not send my PR's AOR with the application. I did send it with the application, so I asked them to reconsider the decision – which they did, and later approved it.
Then why do you have to apply for open work permit?

abeythomas1997

Star Member
Apr 26, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-06-2020
AOR Received.
09-06-2020
Then why do you have to apply for open work permit?
The Bridging work permit is only valid for an year, and is only valid if your PR application is in progress (i.e. will get invalidated if your PR is rejected). The Open Work Permit based on the the public policy is valid for 1.5 years and it isn't conditional to a PR application. So, having the Public Policy Open Work Permit is better than having BOWP.

manjax23

Oct 25, 2018
I had applied for BOWP on 20-Sept 2020, and had given my biometrics in 16-Dec 2020. I haven't had any updates since my biometric.

I have raised 3-4 webform requests and no response.
I had called IRCC and the agents had asked me to wait.
I also mailed local MP, and haven't heard back from him either.
I know it's been longer than normal processing time (84 days) since my biometric.

Is there anything that can expedite the process? I'm super worried as I have 3 dependents. I believe PR will take its own time.

@legalfalcon Need your expert advice.

Last edited:

Rishita

Star Member
May 12, 2018
I had applied for BOWP on 20-Sept 2020, and had given my biometrics in 16-Dec 2020. I haven't had any updates since my biometric.

I know it's been longer than normal processing time (84 days) since my biometric.

Is there anything that can expedite the process? I'm super worried as I have 3 dependents. I believe PR will take its own time.

Raise GCMS

WaterMountain

Feb 4, 2021
I got my AOR on 13th Jan. I was on Closed work permit and it expires by first week of May. Can i work with my emploter to again apply for Closed work permit? I am aware that BOWP is a choice.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

There is no way to expedite the process as such. If you have tried calling, sending webforms etc. then you can request your GCMS notes and see where it is stuck, However, the GCMS notes will take at least 30 days, if they are not delayed. So instead of requesting the GCMS notes from IRCC, you can consider requesting them CBSA. To read on this see, https://bit.ly/3cg6ZQx

Many applications are currently delayed and this is just because no one worked on the application.

Reactions: manjax23

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY

The MP's office should be able to get you the status fairly quickly, otherwise being inland you can request your GCMS for free from IRCC and/or CBSA

Reactions: manjax23

Bruno1808

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
I have PGWP and have applied for BOWP. After application, I received the message called "WP-Ext except PGWP" authorizing to continue work for some weeks after my current WP expires

Does "WP ext except PGWP" mean that the authorized auto extended work period is applicable to all new WP applications except those for a PGWP or does it mean that the authorized auto extension applies to all existing work permits except PGWP ?

@legalfalcon

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I have PGWP and have applied for BOWP. After application, I received the message called "WP-Ext except PGWP" authorizing to continue work for some weeks after my current WP expires

Does "WP ext except PGWP" mean that the authorized auto extended work period is applicable to all new WP applications except those for a PGWP or does it mean that the authorized auto extension applies to all existing work permits except PGWP ?

@legalfalcon
as per IRCC:

A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period.

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

If you were on a PGWP, then in mots cases you cannot extend it unless you meet the PGWP policy and get a 1 year of OWP. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

There is no auto extension, based on your circumstances, and what you applied for, you may be covered under the public policy.

Reactions: Bruno1808

Bruno1808

Star Member
Feb 22, 2020
Thank you! @legalfalcon

"If you were on a PGWP, then in mots cases you cannot extend it unless you meet the PGWP policy and get a 1 year of OWP. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html "

1. "unless you meet pgwp policy and get 1 year of OWP"
Did you mean 1 year or 18 months ?

2. "unless you meet pgwp policy and get 1 year of OWP"
Does this mean that with my current PGWP, only if I submit application for OWP under new PGWP public policy would I have implied status ? I.e my ongoing BOWP application submitted in December alone would not have granted me implied status because I have PGWP? I do meet all the eligibility for the PGWP under public policy and I have applied for this too while my PGWP is valid for a few more days.

3. "There is no auto extension, based on your circumstances, and what you applied for, you may be covered under the public policy."

Does this mean that the letter "WP-Ext except PGWP" authorizing me to work under same existing conditions is merely a written proof of implied status ? Is the deadline date in the letter irrelevant considering "If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]."