+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - how to apply online?!

mlj1992

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone can help me. I need to apply for my BOWP, but I can’t seem to apply online, even though the website says you can. I am on the BOWP page on the Canada gov site, the page where it tells you the steps to apply. Under Step 5, it says to log in to your IRCC account to apply online. When I do this, it takes me to my usual IRCC homepage where I can see my PR application. I can click on ‘apply to come to Canada’ on this page and fill out the questionnaire, but it just keeps telling me to apply for Express Entry, which I’ve obviously already done! I feel like I’m missing something. Can someone direct me? Is there a different place I should be navigating to? I really don’t want to apply on paper as it takes so much longer.

thank you in advance for any advice!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
When you fill out the Come to Canada tool to create a new online application, make sure you select that you only plan to stay in Canada "temporarily - more than 6 months," not permanently. Although you have a PR application in process, technically a BOWP is still a temporary status.

mlj1992

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
When you fill out the Come to Canada tool to create a new online application, make sure you select that you only plan to stay in Canada "temporarily - more than 6 months," not permanently. Although you have a PR application in process, technically a BOWP is still a temporary status.
Thank you for your reply. I worked out that in order to get the right application, I need to put yes to the question that asks if I have been approved in principle for PR. Is that correct?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Thank you for your reply. I worked out that in order to get the right application, I need to put yes to the question that asks if I have been approved in principle for PR. Is that correct?
Yes, assuming that's true for you, that's the question which checks for BOWP eligibility.

mlj1992

Star Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yes, assuming that's true for you, that's the question which checks for BOWP eligibility.
I’ve had my AOR, but nothing to say I’ve been approved in principle. I think that’s the same thing as far as what it’s asking me though. They don’t make it easy!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I’ve had my AOR, but nothing to say I’ve been approved in principle. I think that’s the same thing as far as what it’s asking me though. They don’t make it easy!
Yeah, it's not worded the best but even without approval in principle all you should need is your AOR.

AK114

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
Yeah, it's not worded the best but even without approval in principle all you should need is your AOR.
I am in the same boat as OP and have a follow-up question. I also have my AOR but it is just am email from IRCC (not a pdf attachment), is that correct?