+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP help needed `

irishgirlTO

Feb 9, 2013
My current IEC open work permit expires on April 10th and I have applied for my Permanent Residence which was received in Sydney on March 11th. I still have not heard back regarding an AOR but reading current processing times from other applicants it seems mine should arrive around April 17th...a week after my visa expires. I am now at a loss as to what to do.

I have been told to apply for the BOWP anyways and attach a cover letter stating I am awaiting the AOR. I know that in the rules, it says you must have AOR but basically I am being told to chance it. What really needs to happen is for me not to lose status before applying for the BOWP. I am wondering if I apply for an extension (without LMO because I don't have one) this would give me implied status correct? Therefore, I could still work while a decision is being made and then when I get the AOR while I'm under implied status, then apply for a BOWP? Would this work? I really want to know what people think or if anyone knows of anybody I could contact that would know how to advise me, I'd appreciate that. Also, could I apply for a visitor visa aswell? The last thing I want is to stay in Canada illegally and so I want to cover all my options.

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
Hey irishgirlTO,
Don't panic, you can just apply for a work permit and stay on implied status while you receive your AOR. After that you can apply for a BOWP.
Regarding the PR u applied In March, were u able to apply for it before or March was the only choice you had for applying?
And as far as I know the agents and the case processing officers are very understanding when it comes to these cases. I know cos ive been in worst cases than this and they have calmed me down and asked me to relax and not panic for these issues cos they face these kinda issues almost everytime, so they know where ur coming from.
I suggest you to apply for your BOWP, and write a letter stating that you do not have ur AOR yet and your current WP is about to expire, they will certainly hold the processing for u until u receive your AOR. When you receive it you would need to call CIC immediately and give it to them so they can update your file and then contact the officer processing your application.
This is exactly what happened to me when my LMO was not issued and my previous WP was expiring and I was almost getting into an illegal status. The CIC agents told me about this procedure and it worked.

Good Luck
Winterfox

orko

Star Member
Oct 25, 2012
Technically you will not be able to apply for BOWP while you are in implied status. If you read the Bulletin (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp ), it clearly says:
To be eligible for a bridging open WP, the following parameters must be met:
* They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months;
* They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above;

In case you don't get your AOR by 10th, you won't have valid status on a WP. Also, you don't know for sure every thing was perfect in your application form. A lot of people get their application returned for very silly reason that can easily be fixed. I really hope for you that not to happen.

I agree with winterfox about not to panic and relax, but completely disagree with rest of the reply. You should not waste any more time at this point. I would recommend you to talk to a lawyer ASAP so that you can evaluate all of your options. Before you talk to the lawyer make sure s/he has good reputation as well.
Given that you only have 6 days left, your options are very limited. Also please keep us informed about your situation so that others can be benefited as well. I can wish nothing but good luck in your situation!

irishgirlTO

Feb 9, 2013
Winterfox said:
Hey irishgirlTO,
Don't panic, you can just apply for a work permit and stay on implied status while you receive your AOR. After that you can apply for a BOWP.
Regarding the PR u applied In March, were u able to apply for it before or March was the only choice you had for applying?
And as far as I know the agents and the case processing officers are very understanding when it comes to these cases. I know cos ive been in worst cases than this and they have calmed me down and asked me to relax and not panic for these issues cos they face these kinda issues almost everytime, so they know where ur coming from.
I suggest you to apply for your BOWP, and write a letter stating that you do not have ur AOR yet and your current WP is about to expire, they will certainly hold the processing for u until u receive your AOR. When you receive it you would need to call CIC immediately and give it to them so they can update your file and then contact the officer processing your application.
This is exactly what happened to me when my LMO was not issued and my previous WP was expiring and I was almost getting into an illegal status. The CIC agents told me about this procedure and it worked.

Good Luck
Winterfox
Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, you're saying apply for an open work visa before my BOWP? Or is it the same thing? I'm confused. Basically I need to send in an application tomorrow, to get implied status. Should I fill out the same form "application to change status" and just select open? The problem is my current work visa is an open one issued through an IEC programme. Does this matter?

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
I would recommend you to apply for a BOWP.
Here is the reason why, cos it takes around 2 months to get a decision on your BOWP and around 42 days for an AOR.
Eitherway if you PR docs are good and in place then you do not need to worry about ur app being returned to u.
You AOR will come before your BOWP.
But make sure u write a covering letter explaining your case and tell them that you would receive your AOR soon and that you will inform them.
ALso to be on the safer side attach any doc that proves you have applied for PR.
If all goes well, throw me a pitcher of Guinness 8)

winter_love

Jan 2, 2013
Winterfox said:
Here is the reason why, cos it takes around 2 months to get a decision on your BOWP and around 42 days for an AOR.
Eitherway if you PR docs are good and in place then you do not need to worry about ur app being returned to u.
But make sure u write a covering letter explaining your case and tell them that you would receive your AOR soon and that you will inform them.
ALso to be on the safer side attach any doc that proves you have applied for PR.
Inform them how? Via mail or by phone?

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
Winterlove.
Once u get ur AOR u need to inform CIC by phone and they will update your file

winter_love

Jan 2, 2013
Winterfox said:
Winterlove.
Once u get ur AOR u need to inform CIC by phone and they will update your file
I see. I already mailed them my AOR email though, should I also call or would that create needless confusion?

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
Winter love.
Sorry but can u tell me what's it scenario. R u in the same boat as irishgirl

irishgirlTO

Feb 9, 2013
Winterfox said:
Thank you. I will do that. Have you filled in the application form for the BOWP? I'm slightly confused in how to fill it out and would appreciate some help if you've done so already.

winter_love

Jan 2, 2013
Winterfox said:
Winter love.
Sorry but can u tell me what's it scenario. R u in the same boat as irishgirl
I applied for PR a little while back, and as my PGWP was about to expire I decided to also apply for BOWP. The day I received AOR, I went to post office and mailed a cover letter asking them to add a printout of my AOR email, which I also sent, to my BOWP file.

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
Irishgirl yea I've already sent my bowp a few days ago.
Let me know what I can help u with?

Winter love if uve sent ur AOR mail already with the bowp then there's nothing more u need to do.

winter_love

Jan 2, 2013
Winterfox said:
Irishgirl yea I've already sent my bowp a few days ago.
Let me know what I can help u with?

Winter love if uve sent ur AOR mail already with the bowp then there's nothing more u need to do.
I didn't send my AOR email together with BOWP application, as I didn't have it at the time. They should have everything right now though, but I guess there's no way to know for sure until I get an answer. So you're saying I shouldn't bother calling?

Thanks for your help Winterfox.

Winterfox

Aug 30, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2014
Hey winterlove in that case u have just 2 options..
1. Call CIC and ask the agents if ur Aor is reflecting on ur file. (U might have to call CIC not once but many times cos of the times the agents r themselves not aware of the procedures.) Make sure u ask them what can be done in ur situation. Listen to what the agent says.. call back CIC and ask the same question to another agent.
2. Wait patiently and see what's the decision on ur bowp.

And u do not need to thank me... I've been in the deepest waters so far and it has not been pleasant...hence I'm just lending a hand to those who need it so they don't face the issues I did.
:) cheers man

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
Winterfox said:
1. Call CIC and ask the agents if ur Aor is reflecting on ur file. (U might have to call CIC not once but many times cos of the times the agents r themselves not aware of the procedures.) Make sure u ask them what can be done in ur situation. Listen to what the agent says.. call back CIC and ask the same question to another agent.
I did the exact same thing myself so many times.. Haha! Sometimes I get two completely different answers from agents.. Really make me confused, I will then call a third time and send out an email as well. When you email them, it gives them more time to process it and hopefully give you the accurate answers. :)