22-08-2014
Med's Request
24-03-2015
Med's Done....
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
l.luci said:
Really?? I'm so sorry to hear that!! Did they give you any specific reason for not issuing the WP, or just like that, told you to apply online? That's really frustrating...
Indeed. The man basically sympathized with our situation, but insisted that work permits issued at a port of entry were reserved for those who were new to Canada. He could have done us a favor, but didn't.

What jes_ON states is not absolute. My spouse was issued an open work permit renewal at the border after I had obtained a PGWP. Also, I have a friend who received a BOWP at a port of entry after forgetting to apply online. Her case was special, but it just goes to show how much discretion CIC officers have on a case by case basis.

In any case, my spouse went ahead and applied online this evening. At the rate things are going, a decision on our PR application may be made before the BOWP even comes in the mail!

l.luci

Mar 24, 2015
Yeah, I feel you! It's unsettling to know there are different understandings of the same situation.

I'm still doing research on the whole flagpoling thing, and I was taking a look at the links jes_ON posted. They were really useful, but I couldn't find anything about WP for spouses. My case is not a BOWP, it's just a regular OWP for a spouse of an international student. We have a long way to go before applying for PR.

The frustrating thing is that there's no final answer like "yes, it will work", or "no, definitely not", even though I haven't found one single information that stated that spouses work permits cannot be done by flagpoling. I think I'll try, because I cannot wait anymore. :eek:

Good luck with your PR, please keep us posted about it!!

frozenbc

May 19, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
Med's Request
24-03-2015
Med's Done....
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
l.luci said:
Yeah, I feel you! It's unsettling to know there are different understandings of the same situation.

I'm still doing research on the whole flagpoling thing, and I was taking a look at the links jes_ON posted. They were really useful, but I couldn't find anything about WP for spouses. My case is not a BOWP, it's just a regular OWP for a spouse of an international student. We have a long way to go before applying for PR.

The frustrating thing is that there's no final answer like "yes, it will work", or "no, definitely not", even though I haven't found one single information that stated that spouses work permits cannot be done by flagpoling. I think I'll try, because I cannot wait anymore. :eek:

Good luck with your PR, please keep us posted about it!!
I think you'll be fine. My spouse was also issued an open work permit while I was on a study permit, and she flagpoled to get it. Good luck!

l.luci

Mar 24, 2015
frozenbc said:
I think you'll be fine. My spouse was also issued an open work permit while I was on a study permit, and she flagpoled to get it. Good luck!
Wow, that's great to know! Just a quick question... did you go with your spouse flagpoling? Because my husband is the one with the study permit, and he'll be in class, so I'll have to go alone, with all our documents (his and mine). So I was wondering if maybe they would like to talk to him as well... or if I would be ok going by myself.

Thanks!! :)

frozenbc

May 19, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-07-2014
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
Med's Request
24-03-2015
Med's Done....
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
As long as you have the documents, I don't see why it would be a problem. Having said that, my wife came with me and was issued the spouse open work permit at the same time I was issued my study permit at the border. Is it possible to go on a weekend? A lot of border crossings have 24/7 service, though of course you can double check before you go.

l.luci

Mar 24, 2015
well, it would be easier for me to go during the week. But we'll most probably change the plans and go on a weekend so he can come with me. I think in this situation, the more information, documents and proofs, the better... :)

thanks again!!

xecuter

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
l.luci said:
well, it would be easier for me to go during the week. But we'll most probably change the plans and go on a weekend so he can come with me. I think in this situation, the more information, documents and proofs, the better... :)

thanks again!!
Good luck!! Please let us know when you try it.

Cheers

l.luci

Mar 24, 2015
Re: BOWP flagpole for spouse? PLEASE??

Hello, people!!

So, things happened, and I couldn't manage to go to the border to flagpole. To avoid wasting more time, I applied online on May29. Processing has not started yet.
I tried to check the processing times online, but I couldn't find the processing time for work permit for spouse of international student. Although, the processing times are all around 100 days.
Since my husband is going to graduate in August, he has status until November (my visitor status goes until Oct18). Once he graduates, our plan is to apply for the post-graduate work permit (for him as the graduate and for me as the spouse).
Because of this timeline (and of course, I really want to work again!!!), it would be imperative that I got my WP asap.

So, after all this explanation, the question is: even if already applied online, can I still flagpole?

Thank you all!!

juju211221

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
cpc-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2014
Doc's Request.
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2014
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
02-02-2016
Passport Req..
DM : 07-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
:D 22-03-2016
I have your answer :

The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

foreign nationals in Canada under section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (work permit exempt);
foreign nationals who have let their status expire and must apply for restoration in order to return to temporary resident status;
foreign nationals whose work permits are valid for longer than four months or who already have a new LMIA that can be used as the basis for a new work permit application;

foreign nationals applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry;

spouse and dependants of the principal permanent resident applicant;
provincial nominees who have not submitted a copy of their nomination letter with the application for a bridging work permit, or whose nomination letter specifically indicates employment restrictions.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

l.luci

Mar 24, 2015
juju211221 said:
I have your answer :

The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a bridging work permit:

foreign nationals in Canada under section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (work permit exempt);
foreign nationals who have let their status expire and must apply for restoration in order to return to temporary resident status;
foreign nationals whose work permits are valid for longer than four months or who already have a new LMIA that can be used as the basis for a new work permit application;

foreign nationals applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry;

spouse and dependants of the principal permanent resident applicant;
provincial nominees who have not submitted a copy of their nomination letter with the application for a bridging work permit, or whose nomination letter specifically indicates employment restrictions.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/prov/bridging.asp

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, Juju.

Just another question: a bridging work permit is the one you use when you are "in between" status, correct?
So because of that, I am not sure my work permit application classifies as a bridging work permit. It also didn't say anything during the application. The information I saw was I was applying for an open work permit as a spouse of an international student.
Sorry to bother, but could you clarify this for me?

Thank you again!

juju211221

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
cpc-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2014
Doc's Request.
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2014
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
02-02-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
Hey, so does your spouse is an international student ? If not, I think you may have made a mistake when you sent your application for your work permit.

A bridging work permit in this "cec" topics is a permit you can get as long as :

you're in canada, under a legal working permit who is expiring in less than 4 months, AND you received you're AOR. Your application need to be still in process.

if your statut here in canada is like that, you may want to apply for a bridging work permit.

You can apply for a spouse BOWP in the same time. She / He will get the same work permit as you.

If your actual work permit expire and you didn't receive your BOWP yet, you can still work as you would be in applied statut until you receive your BOWP.

you must apply online or by mail, and you will receive your BOWP by mail, in a little bit more than 3 months.

l.luci

Mar 24, 2015
juju211221 said:
Hey, so does your spouse is an international student ? If not, I think you may have made a mistake when you sent your application for your work permit.

A bridging work permit in this "cec" topics is a permit you can get as long as :

you're in canada, under a legal working permit who is expiring in less than 4 months, AND you received you're AOR. Your application need to be still in process.

if your statut here in canada is like that, you may want to apply for a bridging work permit.

You can apply for a spouse BOWP in the same time. She / He will get the same work permit as you.

If your actual work permit expire and you didn't receive your BOWP yet, you can still work as you would be in applied statut until you receive your BOWP.

you must apply online or by mail, and you will receive your BOWP by mail, in a little bit more than 3 months.
Thank you again, Juju.

My husband is an international student (he is going to graduate by the end of August). I entered as a visitor, and from within Canada applied for an open work permit as spouse of an international student.
Reading your post (the categories eligible for bridging work permit), I think I can conclude that my work permit is not a bridging work permit, since I don't have a work permit right now, and we are not on the process of permanent residence yet.

I just wanted to try flagpoling (but I already have an online application on going) because if the processing times are around 100 days, my work permit would come around September. My husband has status here until November, and by September (upon his graduation) we would both be applying for a new (post graduate) open work permit.

juju211221

Star Member
May 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
cpc-ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2014
Doc's Request.
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
11-12-2014
Med's Request
21-01-2016
Med's Done....
02-02-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2016
LANDED..........
l.luci said:
Thank you again, Juju.

My husband is an international student (he is going to graduate by the end of August). I entered as a visitor, and from within Canada applied for an open work permit as spouse of an international student.
Reading your post (the categories eligible for bridging work permit), I think I can conclude that my work permit is not a bridging work permit, since I don't have a work permit right now, and we are not on the process of permanent residence yet.

I just wanted to try flagpoling (but I already have an online application on going) because if the processing times are around 100 days, my work permit would come around September. My husband has status here until November, and by September (upon his graduation) we would both be applying for a new (post graduate) open work permit.
So definitely, you can go to the border and FLAGPOL :) You need to cancel your application online to avoid any confusion. You can cancel it here :

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=1.254461320.1603397832.1434565414

Keep in mind that each open work permit cost 255 $.

cheers

l.luci

Mar 24, 2015
juju211221 said:
So definitely, you can go to the border and FLAGPOL :) You need to cancel your application online to avoid any confusion. You can cancel it here :

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?_ga=1.254461320.1603397832.1434565414

Keep in mind that each open work permit cost 255 $.

cheers
Thank you very, Juju! ;D

anycec

Sep 23, 2014
frozenbc said:
In any case, my spouse went ahead and applied online this evening. At the rate things are going, a decision on our PR application may be made before the BOWP even comes in the mail!
I'm interested in what form you used to apply for your spouse's permit.
My spouse is the main applicant on our PR application (we came under BC PNP), but he was issued a two year permit, meaning he doesn't need a BWP while our PR application is being processed. I was issued a one year OWP, meaning it will expire before we get a PR outcome.
Not sure how to submit a form as a spouse if my husband isn't applying for bridging permit, any ideas??