+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP Extension

na71

Mar 27, 2018
Hi all, my PR application under CEC is still processing in background check. My PGWP expired on August, 2020 so I applied for BOWP and got it approved until Feb, 2021 because thats when my passport expires. I renewed my passport now and applied for an extension to my BOWP. Today I got a letter called "WP-EXT only except PGWP" and it stated following: "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number <#> as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until March 09, 2021 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first."

Does this mean if my extension decision is not made by March 09, 2021, do I have to stop working or I can still work under implied status?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
They will make a decision before March 9, 2021 on your PR application based on what they sent. And you won't need to apply for a further extension.

na71

Mar 27, 2018
They will make a decision before March 9, 2021 on your PR application based on what they sent. And you won't need to apply for a further extension.
Thanks for your reply but how are you so sure of that? Do you know of any similar case? My PR application is processing since September 2018 now. Background check is taking too long apparently. I doubt they will make a decision before March 9, 2021. Actually, I already applied for the extension since the current BOWP will expire in less than 4 months which is the minimum time before you can apply for BWOP.

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Thanks for your reply but how are you so sure of that? Do you know of any similar case? My PR application is processing since September 2018 now. Background check is taking too long apparently. I doubt they will make a decision before March 9, 2021. Actually, I already applied for the extension since the current BOWP will expire in less than 4 months which is the minimum time before you can apply for BWOP.
I guess your case is special and you may need to extend it again.

anantha27

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hi all, my PR application under CEC is still processing in background check. My PGWP expired on August, 2020 so I applied for BOWP and got it approved until Feb, 2021 because thats when my passport expires. I renewed my passport now and applied for an extension to my BOWP. Today I got a letter called "WP-EXT only except PGWP" and it stated following: "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number <#> as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until March 09, 2021 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first."

Does this mean if my extension decision is not made by March 09, 2021, do I have to stop working or I can still work under implied status?
What's ur AOR, inland application is going on with in reasonable time frame. Most likely you will get PR b4 ur expiry of current BOWP

na71

Mar 27, 2018
What's ur AOR, inland application is going on with in reasonable time frame. Most likely you will get PR b4 ur expiry of current BOWP
My AOR was August 28, 2018. First medical passed on September 18, 2018. No updates for two years. I have called multiple times, and they just say application is in background check by third party and they dont have any timeline. Ordered GCMS notes too, nothing unusual there. Recently,my medical was reviewed again on August, 2020 and marked as passed and on September, 2020 my file moved from Winnipeg office to Vancouver. Thats all I know so far.

vamish14

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
I guess your case is special and you may need to extend it again.
I also have received the exact same notification from IRCC, also they have written "You are expected to provide a COPY of your passport with your electronic application" can anyone suggest here whether i need to provide these copies to IRCC as a web form, but question is during online submission of BOWP i have submitted my Passport to them, please help on my query.

na71

Mar 27, 2018
I also have received the exact same notification from IRCC, also they have written "You are expected to provide a COPY of your passport with your electronic application" can anyone suggest here whether i need to provide these copies to IRCC as a web form, but question is during online submission of BOWP i have submitted my Passport to them, please help on my query.
I was not asked to provide any such document. I guess webform should be enough but you can call them to confirm. By the way, I got my work permit recently. It was approved in two months. So don’t worry much about this letter.

Reactions: vamish14

vamish14

Star Member
Dec 30, 2020
I was not asked to provide any such document. I guess webform should be enough but you can call them to confirm. By the way, I got my work permit recently. It was approved in two months. So don’t worry much about this letter.
Many thanks for your reply :)
1 more question, do I need to inform my employer about this letter as my current Close Permit is being expired on 7th May 2021.

na71

Mar 27, 2018
Many thanks for your reply :)
1 more question, do I need to inform my employer about this letter as my current Close Permit is being expired on 7th May 2021.
I don’t think its needed. I did not inform. You should get it way before May 7th. It’s still upto you if you want to mention that.

Reactions: vamish14

RAMAAA91

Mar 8, 2020
Hi buddy im also ready to.apply for my BOWP extension next month as my PR is still processimg stuck in crimnality for months...may 14th 2020 AOR and bOWP expires may 21,2021...I read your posts so did you got any decision about ur application on or before march 9 or your BOWP extension approved amd your PR still processing?

Jass98

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018
Can we do 2 jobs or changed employer if we had closed work permit ( LMIA based) after getting BOWP ?

Please reply i really need help

Thanks a lot please please please reply dears

RAMAAA91

Mar 8, 2020
Can we do 2 jobs or changed employer if we had closed work permit ( LMIA based) after getting BOWP ?

Please reply i really need help

Thanks a lot please please please reply dears
You are allowed to do job only for tge employer mentioned on your BOWP if its a closed work permit based on LMIA... but if your BOWP says open (work permit type) you can work anywhere you want but you have to update IRCC for your PR application process about the change...

indianguy11

Dec 7, 2019
You are allowed to do job only for tge employer mentioned on your BOWP if its a closed work permit based on LMIA... but if your BOWP says open (work permit type) you can work anywhere you want but you have to update IRCC for your PR application process about the change...
Can the BOWP also be employer specific? I thought it was an open work permit.
Do we have to inform IRCC about change in employer even if we didn't count points for job offer?