+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP and spouse OWP eligibility

tomdadom

Nov 5, 2014
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding BOWP and spouse OWP eligibility.

My partner and I are in Canada on IEC work permits which expire 26 Feb 2015. We submitted PR application under FSW in September 2014. At current processing times we anticipate receipt of AOR by the end of January. Once AOR is received we intend to apply for BOWP for my partner (as PR principal applicant) and a spouse open work permit for me.

My concern is regarding what I understand to be the most current guidance:
‘For spouses of FSWP applicants, the bridging work permit holder must be performing work which is at a level that falls within National Occupational Classification (NOC) Skill Levels 0, A or B.'

My partner works remotely as an engineer for a consultancy based in the UK (work which clearly meets the above skill levels), while she looks for work in Canada. Am I eligible for the OWP based on my partners BOWP or does she need a job in Canada?

Thanks for your help. I have used this forum a lot and think it is really great.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The job must be in Canada.

tomdadom

Nov 5, 2014
Thanks scylla. To be eligible for BOWP you do not however need a job offer? Can I assume that if I were to apply for an OWP as a spouse they would then check my partner (the BOWP holder) is in employment in Canada?

I currently have a permanent professional job with a major BC company. What are my options for being able to continue working while we await PR decision?

tomdadom

Nov 5, 2014
Hi. Turns out my partner is actually classed as self-employed! Does this make a difference? I really need help with this... If it isn't going to work she may have to find a job. Would a temporary job part-time contract suffice provided it is at the level specified? Please help! thanks