+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP 6 months before expiry of current permit

marina2909

May 4, 2015
Hi,

is it possible to apply for BOWP 6 months before expiry of current closed work permit. Current processing times for paper applications are 3 months so when officer process it it will be within required 4 months. Or should I be within 4 months until expiry when I send it. I was laid off and need new work permit as soon as possible.

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
No, the date of the application when sent must be within the 4 month timeframe. So you'd have to wait for two more months until you can get a BOWP. Keep in mind though that if you're currently on a closed permit you may not be eligible for a BOWP (open permit).

marina2909

May 4, 2015
Tnx for the answer Lisa. Why do you think I won't be eligible if I'm on closed work permit? I have LMO based work permit and applied for PR under CEC. So all criteria will be meet then.

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
marina2909 said:
Tnx for the answer Lisa. Why do you think I won't be eligible if I'm on closed work permit? I have LMO based work permit and applied for PR under CEC. So all criteria will be meet then.
Oh. This being the PNP forum I thought you were a provincial nominee. CEC would probably have different rules regarding BOWPs - you should consult the folks at the CEC section.

The 4-month rule would still apply the same way, I believe.

tin ribs

Apr 17, 2015
sorry to hijack this thread but I need to apply to extend my work permit or change to visitor within the next couple of weeks, I am at the passport request stage of the pr application(pnp method) and when I do the online questionnaire to apply online it suggests that I can apply for an open work permit but I have also read that some pnp's don't allow the open work permit, so I am getting conflicting info. I am on a closed work permit so if I applied for the open work permit would that give me implied status, I thought for implied status you had to be applying for the same conditions you have your work permit currently? Sorry to ask again but it's a bit confusing for me.

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
tin ribs said:
sorry to hijack this thread but I need to apply to extend my work permit or change to visitor within the next couple of weeks, I am at the passport request stage of the pr application(pnp method) and when I do the online questionnaire to apply online it suggests that I can apply for an open work permit but I have also read that some pnp's don't allow the open work permit, so I am getting conflicting info. I am on a closed work permit so if I applied for the open work permit would that give me implied status, I thought for implied status you had to be applying for the same conditions you have your work permit currently? Sorry to ask again but it's a bit confusing for me.
It doesn't matter what type of WP you apply - you will get implied status nonetheless. What implied status means is that you can keep on working under the conditions of your expired permit, until the decision regarding the new permit is made. It doesn't make a difference whether you're eligible for the new permit or not, because CIC must process it nonetheless. It's a bit of a funny loophole in the CIC rules that one can benefit so much time-wise by sending a WP application that doesn't necessarily have any chance of being approved.

If you apply for an open permit even though you're not eligible for it, it will still take CIC so much time to process it that you will have received your PR long before the WP rejection comes through. So you should be OK. Just make sure that you still send a complete WP application (i.e. make sure not to forget send anything, which would cause CIC to potentially send the application back faster). Then, once you have your PR, withdraw the WP application as soon as possible, and you will also be refunded for the WP application fee.

tin ribs

Apr 17, 2015
liisa227 said:
It doesn't matter what type of WP you apply - you will get implied status nonetheless. What implied status means is that you can keep on working under the conditions of your expired permit, until the decision regarding the new permit is made. It doesn't make a difference whether you're eligible for the new permit or not, because CIC must process it nonetheless. It's a bit of a funny loophole in the CIC rules that one can benefit so much time-wise by sending a WP application that doesn't necessarily have any chance of being approved.

If you apply for an open permit even though you're not eligible for it, it will still take CIC so much time to process it that you will have received your PR long before the WP rejection comes through. So you should be OK. Just make sure that you still send a complete WP application (i.e. make sure not to forget send anything, which would cause CIC to potentially send the application back faster). Then, once you have your PR, withdraw the WP application as soon as possible, and you will also be refunded for the WP application fee.
Thanks for the response, now I am not trying to be an awkward git but are you 100% sure on this? because I have got so far without making any huge mistakes and I would hope not to bungle it now by doing something stupid :S I am sure you understand it is a rather nervy time.

Thank you for answering ! 8)

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
tin ribs said:
Thanks for the response, now I am not trying to be an awkward git but are you 100% sure on this? because I have got so far without making any huge mistakes and I would hope not to bungle it now by doing something stupid :S I am sure you understand it is a rather nervy time.

Thank you for answering ! 8)
Totally understandable! Obviously I can't give 100% foolproof guarantee, I'm not an immigration professional or anything. I can only say what's happened to me and what I've observed happening to others.

I applied for a BOWP last November, without realizing that I'm not eligible for it (because of my PNP employment restriction). I realized the mistake in January, withdrew that application immediately and applied for the correct one. I only got the withdrawal confirmation at the end of January, which means that it took CIC almost 3 months to even touch my application (and that time has only gone up since because of the increasing processing backlog). So that tells me that one would get at least a couple of months of implied status just by sending the application, because nobody will pick it up to reject until that much later. Implied status only gets "cancelled" from the date of the negative decision, so the time you spent on implied status before the decision would still be considered as time you spent in Canada on a legal and valid status.

I know for a fact that implied status is commonly recommended by immigration lawyers and consultants, in situations where the applicant needs to gain more time to stay in Canada for whatever reason. Sometimes it's even worth it to send a paper application, because those get processed even slower (which might be wise in your case anyway, since you're wanting to apply for a closed extension but the online system only offers you the option to apply for an open one). There was someone else here recently who had the same trouble with the online site - ragluf wrote a good response to that but I don't have time to look for it right now, you can search for his profile and look through his latest posts to find it.

Being on implied status can be nerve-wrecking, because it makes you feel like you're standing on thin air without any safety net. But from everything I've gathered so far, it's a completely legal and accepted way of extending your stay in Canada, and the purpose is literally to allow foreigners to keep working legally with a valid status beyond the expiry of the WP, as long a new application is submitted. Makes no difference whether or not the application is eventually approved or rejected.

Because CIC has already sent you the PPR, then chances are that you might be able to land as PR even before your WP expires. They've been decently quick this spring with the passport turnaround time. But I would still absolutely send the WP application, because you cannot be out of status at the time of your PR landing (and again, implied status is considered valid status).

If you want to be as sure as possible about this, then you do need to find a reputable lawyer/consultant. I know a good one in Vancouver, if you're on the west coast I can share his information if you'd like.

tin ribs

Apr 17, 2015
liisa227 said:
Totally understandable! Obviously I can't give 100% foolproof guarantee, I'm not an immigration professional or anything. I can only say what's happened to me and what I've observed happening to others.
Yes I understand you can't say with a foolproof guarantee, my mistake for asking that ! What is worrying me is wheter or not I would be under implied status by applying for the visa online because it is under different conditions, it is hard to find out from cic website. I am worrying I will apply for the open visa online and think I am on implied status then go to the border to finalize the pr and they will tell me I wasnt on implied status this whole time :S, although I worry a lot. I think I will leave work early one day next week and phone the information line to ask them.

Thanks a lot for you help !