+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Born outside Canada with dead Canadian parent

Jachikez

May 2, 2019
Does the death of a Canadian parent, affect citizenship? I was born outside Canada and birth wasn't reported.
I am 25 years of age..
Is it still possible to gain citizenship ?
Please help!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Does the death of a Canadian parent, affect citizenship? I was born outside Canada and birth wasn't reported.
I am 25 years of age..
Is it still possible to gain citizenship ?
Please help!
1. It depends, was your parent a Citizen when you were born?
2. If so, then you need a copy of your birth certificate, showing the deceased parent, proof of the parents citizenship, and you then apply for proof of citizenship.
3. If your parent received their citizenship through descent, i.e. was not born nor naturalized in Canada, then you are not a citizen.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

1. It depends, was your parent a Citizen when you were born?
2. If so, then you need a copy of your birth certificate, showing the deceased parent, proof of the parents citizenship, and you then apply for proof of citizenship.
3. If your parent received their citizenship through descent, i.e. was not born nor naturalized in Canada, then you are not a citizen.
I agree with points 1 and 2, but not necessarily with number 3. If the OP's parent was a Canadian citizen when the OP was born, even if by descent, then he/she would have inherited citizenship from that parent, IF the OP was born before April 17, 2009. The OP reports being 25 years of age, which puts the date of birth before 2009.

Reactions: scorph

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Well, my dad was a citizen, he was granted citizenship. I am 25 and will be 26 in Oct.
Was he granted citizenship BEFORE you were born?

Reactions: Rullence