+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border guards - access to residency files

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
Do the immigration officers at the border have access to info as to how long one h as been in Canada or not?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Devaa,

I am confused. When you applied for "URGENT" PR renewal you applied after having accumulated atleast 730 days in the last 5 years - correct ? Because if you dont, then that is a red flag.

Then why did the officer say you are very close etc etc and why are you concerned.
By the way, congrats !!!

Also, did you apply for the card after atleast 730 days in last 5 years living here or mostly coming in for some periods but living somewhere else ?

Thanks in advance ! and looking out for your useful response.

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
I Received my pr status 3 years ago...and I have been out for most part of three years. I applied because I can meet the requirements going forward.

How to know if there is a red flag?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
not sure about red flag.

So if you recd PR 3 years ago should you not be having your original / first PR card which is valid for a 5 year expiry. I may be missing something.

Unless this card you picked up is the very first card - hmm cant be... ok... pls do explain as I am still confused.

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
The immigration officer at the Port of entry was very tough in 2009. She asked me if I was moving to Canada then. I said no..I will do it at a later date. So she said a she will not apply for the pr card then. I consented. Further she told me that my time counts after I receive the pr card. I believed her.

So, this is what I explained to the officer today. She smiled and told me it is not the case and hat my time counts since day of landing. I told her I have just followed instructions. Now that she has informed me, I will keep it in mind.

She asked for my drivers license , health card etc. I said I didn't apply because I was not in the country. Showed her all the interview letteres and told her that I am trying hard to settle down. Told her that I am being honest.

So..this is my initial pr card. Never had a pr card before this one. Hope this is clear.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
So is this the very first time you are coming back after landing and leaving? How did you get in now ? With a visa or they recognized u are a PR in the system but didnt ask for PR card.

Thanks for your earlier explanation too. Good Luck !

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just be aware that you have gotten your PR card based on planning to meet the residency requirements in the next 2 years and not because you actually have. If you continue to live outside Canada and if something happens to the PR card, lost, stolen, destroyed etc., if you have to apply for a travel document again to return, it will not be so easy to get.

As for now, you still have to meet the residency requirements in your first 5 years as a PR and after that, any rolling 5 year period.

Nourpam

Apr 9, 2012
hello
I have a question and I wish that someone enlighten me.

My wife is a canadian citizen, we married last December 2011, our file is in process now in the canadian embassy in Paris.
My wife is not in canada since last september 2011, she lives with me since then in my home country. My question is:

Should my wife go back to Canada soon, she, being with me while the application for sponsorship is in the process, is it a positive or negative thing, in other words; does it work for us better if she stays here with me till i get the permanent visa or it will be better if she goes back home.

Thank you,
Waiting for an answer senior,

Devaa

Apr 2, 2012
Lean : Thanks for your reply. QUestion I have is..will I have a problem in coming to Canada on the PR card. I m not planning to stay out for extended periods of time. Just a couple of weeks to complete unfinished business in US. Can the Immigration Officer at the port of entry, access my file and deny entry.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can not deny you entry but if you get a very strict one, they could report you for not meeting the residency requirements if they believe you do not meet them. They would let you in for 30 days and you would have to appeal to keep your PR. If you were already outside Canada for almost 1095 days, you can not even afford to leave for 2 weeks, only the balance of 1095 days until you have your first 5 years filled. After that, your stays and absences in Canada start to move outside the 5 year window in which case you must always meet your 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years from whichever date.

Nourpam

Apr 9, 2012

My wife is a canadian citizen, we married last December 2011, our file is in process now in the canadian embassy in Paris.
My wife is not in canada since last september 2011, she lives with me since then in my home country. My question is:

Should my wife go back to Canada soon, she, being with me while the application for sponsorship is in the process, is it a positive or negative thing, in other words; does it work for us better if she stays here with me till i get the permanent visa or it will be better if she goes back home.

Thank you,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nourpam said:

Thank you,
As a Canadian citizen, she doesn't have to be in Canada to sponsor so it is fine for her to be visiting you.