+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Border crossing as a visitor before applying for PR

Latch

Mar 2, 2015
Hello! I have been visiting my common-law spouse in Canada for about 5 and a half months. I'm from the United States. We intend to apply for my Permanent Residence (Inland), and have been gathering evidence for the past couple months. About a month ago, I applied for a visitor visa extension so we could have more time together.

He and I have to drive down to Washington State in the U.S. for a day trip next week. I'm very concerned about being let back into Canada, but my disability benefits in the U.S. depend on this trip, and I cannot afford to lose them.

Does anyone have any advice for how to navigate the border crossing successfully in such a situation?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Note that as soon as you leave Canada, your application in progress for visitor status extension is considered to be cancelled. You will need to re-qualify for new visitor status by CBSA at the border on re-entry.

Since you are still a visitor in Canada, as long as you satisfy CBSA you are indeed a visitor and will not "live" or "move" to Canada, or work here illegally, then you should be let in ok.

Also note that it's usually better for US citizens to apply OUTLAND for PR, and not inland. Outland process through CPC-Ottawa can be finished in around 6-8 months, vs waiting 2+ years for the inland process.

Latch

Mar 2, 2015
Thanks for your response!

I do ultimately want to apply for PR. Does communicating that fact endanger my chances? I consider myself visiting until then, of course, but I'm a little confused.

And is the $100 fee I paid for my visa extension a month ago just collateral damage, then?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As Rob said above, outland is BY FAR the better choice for an American. You can still be in Canada as a visitor while an outland app processes.

If you are leaving on this day trip before your 6 months is up, then yeah, that $100 is collateral damage. You could try to ask for a refund but a month in, it's doubtful that they would give it.

Don't volunteer anything to CBSA. If they ask, then answer. I suggest you pay the PR fees in full and have that receipt for when you re-enter. If they start asking more questions, you can show the receipt to prove you are applying for PR and know the proper procedure and aren't just trying to live in Canada as a visitor.

chadus

Apr 14, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
If they start asking more questions, you can show the receipt to prove you are applying for PR and know the proper procedure and aren't just trying to live in Canada as a visitor.
Im not sure I would say the word "live in canada."

I am an American and have been crossing back and forth for the past 5 years with my now wife. The best thing to do is create proof you are returning to the states at some point. If you have anything to prove you will be returning to the US after your visit to Canada it makes going through the border that much easier.

I keep a binder in my car with documents, including bank statements showing my rent, rental agreement, any meetings i have that i need to return too(usually email correspondence with a phone number they can call to check my meeting), marriage certificate, and any other documents i find might help with the border crossing on that specific occasion.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chadus said:
Im not sure I would say the word "live in canada."

I am an American and have been crossing back and forth for the past 5 years with my now wife. The best thing to do is create proof you are returning to the states at some point. If you have anything to prove you will be returning to the US after your visit to Canada it makes going through the border that much easier.

I keep a binder in my car with documents, including bank statements showing my rent, rental agreement, any meetings i have that i need to return too(usually email correspondence with a phone number they can call to check my meeting), marriage certificate, and any other documents i find might help with the border crossing on that specific occasion.
I didn't advise to say "live in Canada" and never would. I advised that having the PR fees paid would help assure CIC that OP is NOT just trying to live in Canada as a visitor.

Latch

Mar 2, 2015
Thanks for this input! A couple more questions:

If I'm able to rearrange things until I get the visa extension, would leaving the country nullify that even after I get it? I'm getting the impression that every time I leave the country I'll have to get permission to visit afresh. Would the visa extension give me any benefit beyond keeping me in status if I stay put?

I'm very curious about the outland timeframe you mentioned, Rob_TO. The CIC website lists 32 months as the estimated processing times for the Los Angeles, United States visa office (no estimate is given for the New York office)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Latch said:
If I'm able to rearrange things until I get the visa extension, would leaving the country nullify that even after I get it? I'm getting the impression that every time I leave the country I'll have to get permission to visit afresh. Would the visa extension give me any benefit beyond keeping me in status if I stay put?
Yes even if you got the extension, it is voided as soon as you leave Canada, and you need to basically re-apply when you re-enter Canada.

I'm very curious about the outland timeframe you mentioned, Rob_TO. The CIC website lists 32 months as the estimated processing times for the Los Angeles, United States visa office (no estimate is given for the New York office)
If you read the list of visa offices, you'll see that CPC-Ottawa is used for PR apps for US citizens, not LA or NY. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp
You can read the thread here dedicated to CPC-O to see what times people are actually seeing out of Ottawa. The time posted on CIC website is a worst-case, not an average.

Latch

Mar 2, 2015
Okay, that's really good info to have. Thank you!

Also, I'm officially very nervous to leave the country lest my entire life fall apart! Until I have permanent status here, anyway.