+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Blood/urinary test is free if having work permit?

colorful

Nov 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I was told that blood/urinary test is free if having work permit in Calgary.
Is it the same in other cities, especially in Edmonton?

unfrgvn

Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
Blood and Urine tests are not Free in Calgary if you have a work permit. However , if you are working and have additional health insurance from your employer , you might get the fees (Blood and Urine) back through your additional health Insurance. In that case you have to make a claim.

colorful

Nov 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unfrgvn said:
Blood and Urine tests are not Free in Calgary if you have a work permit. However , if you are working and have additional health insurance from your employer , you might get the fees (Blood and Urine) back through your additional health Insurance. In that case you have to make a claim.
Thank you for the answer, unfrgvn. A friend of mine had been to Calgary for medical check last Friday, and she said the tests were free if work permit was shown. I'll ask her again.

unfrgvn

Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
I did my blood and Urine couple of weeks ago and I had to pay 37 CAD regardless of having work permit or not. Others who were there fro immigration purposes also had to pay the fee.
This 37 CAD can be claimed from your health insurance provider.
I did my blood and urine in one of the Alberta Health services locations ( Sheldon M. Chumir).
You should check with your friend in detail.

Thank you

unfrgvn

Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
On a second thought , I think your friend was talking about a ""regular health check up"" which is indeed free in any Alberta Health Services Locations, if you have an Alberta Health Card ( You can get an Alberta Health Card if you have a work permit/ status here). However for immigration that is not the case. You have to pay for your own blood work.