+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

bishops university

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Pretty gross overestimation of other expenses. Even full board on campus 8 months adds on 10k, living off campus 12 months could be slightly cheaper. You don't need French at Bishop's it's English speaking, the town is a mix of English and French speaking no problem. French speakers however get more choice of student jobs and get to write all assignments in French if they wish, so far my daughter has been kind to her professors and written everything in English.
Never said he needed French but tuition is cheaper if he is a French citizen. It seems his funds are low so trying to find options.

Reactions: wonderbly

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm so sad now because I would have to decline my admission because my thesis supervisor has run out of scholarship offer for me and I don't think bishops would give me more funds.I'm soo confused now,don't know what to do
Can you afford to do your masters without a scholarship?To get approved for a study permit, you need to show $10k minimum for living expenses and have the ability to pay first year tuition. Are there other programs you can apply to or scholarships in your region to. Can your advisor guarantee you a TA position to pay for expenses.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Pretty gross overestimation of other expenses. Even full board on campus 8 months adds on 10k, living off campus 12 months could be slightly cheaper. You don't need French at Bishop's it's English speaking, the town is a mix of English and French speaking no problem. French speakers however get more choice of student jobs and get to write all assignments in French if they wish, so far my daughter has been kind to her professors and written everything in English.
Just curious, why did your daughter choose to go to Bishops given that she does not speak French? Not exactly a destination for non french speaking foreigners especially for undergrad

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Just curious, why did your daughter choose to go to Bishops given that she does not speak French? Not exactly a destination for non french speaking foreigners especially for undergrad
Her daughter speaks French, I believe (or comes from a country thaT has bilateral agreements with Quebec govt) so she gets to pay out-of-province fees instead of Intl fees. I think she just means her daughter chose to submit her assignments in English since BU is technically english medium.

Reactions: Bishops2020

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I'm so sad now because I would have to decline my admission because my thesis supervisor has run out of scholarship offer for me and I don't think bishops would give me more funds.I'm soo confused now,don't know what to do
I'm so sorry about this friend. Truth is, scholarship is never guaranteed. It's a nice thing to get it, but you should be prepared to foot your study bills in the event you don't get funding. Like @Naturgrl said, to get a study permit, you'll need to show that you have enough personal funds to cover tuition and all other expenses.

BU is really a small town school (small in size but still a great DLI) and mainly undergrad-focused so their funding is primarily for undergraduate studies.

What is your GPA? You might be able to get funding at other schools for Fall 2021 if you've got great grades, but you need to hurry.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Why do you claim my daughter does not speak french?

French is not necessary for anglophone universities in Quebec. In fact french mother tongue are a minority at bishop's, so true bilinguals can submit assignments in English or French, several of her professors don't speak french, so assuming if she were to submit in french, the university has to translate the assignments.

My daughter has 2 mother tongues and is b2-c1 fluent in Dutch so could study in Dutch, french or English. She has 2 high school diplomas, one from francophone high and one from Dutch medium high school. She would be very much able to function at bishop's and in lennoxville with just English, as anyone who knows the area will confirm.

Last edited:

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Why do you claim my daughter does not speak french?

French is not necessary for anglophone universities in Quebec. In fact french mother tongue are a minority at bishop's, so true bilinguals can submit assignments in English or French, several of her professors don't speak french, so assuming if she were to submit in french, the university has to translate the assignments.

My daughter has 2 mother tongues and is b2-c1 fluent in Dutch so could study in Dutch, french or English. She has 2 high school diplomas, one from francophone high and one from Dutch medium high school. She would be very much able to function at bishop's and in lennoxville with just English, as anyone who knows the area will confirm.
I assumed because you said she was taking classes in English but obviously that isn't the case

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Not Bishop's specifically but Quebec in general is not very hospitable to Anglophones outside of Montreal
You stated clearly BISHOP's not Quebec.

Therefore, why is Bishop's not exactly a destination for non French speaking foreigners and why especially for undergrad?

I used to live in Quebec, namely Ville de Quebec, I felt at no time that Ville de Quebec was inhospitable to anglophones.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
You stated clearly BISHOP's not Quebec.

Therefore, why is Bishop's not exactly a destination for non French speaking foreigners and why especially for undergrad?

I used to live in Quebec, namely Ville de Quebec, I felt at no time that Ville de Quebec was inhospitable to anglophones.
Why are you getting so combative? It was just a simple question. I just speak from the news I read online

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-s-historic-anglophones-will-be-identified-by-bill-101-legault-1.4670817
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-quebec-anglophones-under-attack-and-fear-worse-is-yet-to-come-from-new/
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/english-government-services-quebec-1.5348007
https://languagefairness.ca/docs/regions/quebec/why-are-english-speaking-quebecers-so-badly-treated.php

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why is bishop's therefore not a good destination for non french speakers? University is anglophone, town is bilingual.
Lennoxville is a primarily English speaking town with a primarily undergrad university, an English private boarding school and a Hell's Angels club. Haven't been in a while so not sure if the Hell's Angel club is still there.

Christ95

Nov 27, 2020
I'm so sorry about this friend. Truth is, scholarship is never guaranteed. It's a nice thing to get it, but you should be prepared to foot your study bills in the event you don't get funding. Like @Naturgrl said, to get a study permit, you'll need to show that you have enough personal funds to cover tuition and all other expenses.

BU is really a small town school (small in size but still a great DLI) and mainly undergrad-focused so their funding is primarily for undergraduate studies.

What is your GPA? You might be able to get funding at other schools for Fall 2021 if you've got great grades, but you need to hurry.
thanks, soo much,I think I would have to decline their offer then and try other schools