+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth Certificate

lily.dmaya

Jan 16, 2019
Hi there!

My husband is sponsoring me inland, im from Mexico and they are asking for my birth certificate with this requirement.
  • Official documents issued by this country must be government-certified true copies (copies certified as authentic by the issuing governmental authority, signed and sealed)
I have here my original birth certificate that I have since my birth and I had used it for everuthing, it is signed but it has a stamp, no specially a sealed. Do you know if this counts?
Because I also saw that you can reprint your own birth certificate through mexican government page but this one seems less authentic, you just need to print it in a regular piece of paper. What do you think?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Certified true copies
To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must (as described below) compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:
  • “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”,
  • the name of the original document,
  • the date of the certification,
  • their name,
  • their official position or title, and
  • their signature.
Official documents issued by this country must be government-certified true copies (copies certified as authentic by the issuing governmental authority, signed and sealed)

Who can certify copies?
Persons authorized by issuing governmental authority to certify copies, signed and sealed

Enrique23

Dec 7, 2019
Hello Lydia,

I am wondering how did you resolve this issue because currently I am facing the same doubt.

Dec 19, 2019
Hi! I'm looking for advice from a Mexican (principal applicant). How do you get a government certified true copy of a birth certificate? I know in other countries they can have a notary do it, but in Mexico it seems like you need the government to do this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Enrique23

Dec 7, 2019
Hello Christiegraham27
First you have to go to Registro Civil to get the copy of your birth certificate, after that, you have to certified (legalizar) this document at Archivo General de la Nacion, Secretaria de Gobernacion and Relaciones Exteriores. The last step of this process, you have to get an appointment at the Canadian embassy to get your birth certificate validated. If I remeber well the cost for this procedure it was 720 pesos. When you have all this ready, you need to contact a certified translator and put all the documents and the translation in a sealed envelop.

Reactions: christiegraham27
Dec 19, 2019
Thank you Enrique. Do you have to go to a Registro Civil where you were born, or can it be in any state in Mexico. Do you bring your birth certificate (original) and they copy it for you?

Hello Christiegraham27
First you have to go to Registro Civil to get the copy of your birth certificate, after that, you have to certified (legalizar) this document at Archivo General de la Nacion, Secretaria de Gobernacion and Relaciones Exteriores. The last step of this process, you have to get an appointment at the Canadian embassy to get your birth certificate validated. If I remeber well the cost for this procedure it was 720 pesos. When you have all this ready, you need to contact a certified translator and put all the documents and the translation in a sealed envelop.
que

Dec 19, 2019
Hello Christiegraham27
Hola Enrique, do you know how the process works for a government certified true copy of a Mexican Passport? Muchas gracias!

Space33

Jun 15, 2019
Hi Lily, were you able to get your birth certificate issue/stamped/validated etc, successfully. If yes please share your experience

neuroCanadian

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ontario
Category........
Other
I have this same question. Really need to figure this out...
I talked to a lawyer who said that the IRCC is "not that picky" when it comes to other countries' legalization seals (apostilles, etc). In the case of spousal sponsorship, the genuineness of the relationship is the biggest focus and whether you have enough evidence to support this determines whether your application receives "approval on first instance" (the officer sees no red flags and believes the relationship is genuine), or whether they ask for more info, possibly creating an "adversarial relationship" with the applicants, which may or may not lead to a formal sit-down interview with the potential sponsor and applicant.

quotations above are from the lawyer's mouth.