+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Birth Certificate is not there, can i provide affidavit ?

May 3, 2017
Hi, I am in usa with indian citizenship status and working in usa, and i am getting married to a canadian pr, when we are filing for my pr, document checklist says that a birth certi is needed for my whole family.
I and my brother have a berth certi but my mom dad doesn't have a birth certi. Is it fine, if i provide a affidavit of it ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi, I am in usa with indian citizenship status and working in usa, and i am getting married to a canadian pr, when we are filing for my pr, document checklist says that a birth certi is needed for my whole family.
I and my brother have a berth certi but my mom dad doesn't have a birth certi. Is it fine, if i provide a affidavit of it ?
Your "family" in this case is just any of your dependent children also being sponsored. You don't need birth certificates for parents, siblings, etc since none of them are being sponsored.

May 3, 2017
Your "family" in this case is just any of your dependent children also being sponsored. You don't need birth certificates for parents, siblings, etc since none of them are being sponsored.
In the checklist, it doesnt say about sponsored child or anything, it says :
"Birth certificates or baptismal certificates for yourself and all family members, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not."

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
In the checklist, it doesnt say about sponsored child or anything, it says :
"Birth certificates or baptismal certificates for yourself and all family members, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not."
Read the title of that section: SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR SPONSORED PERSONS (PRINCIPAL APPLICANT AND ALL FAMILY MEMBERS).

Siblings and parents are not sponsored persons, so they are not included here as family members.

Parents/siblings only appear in form 5406E - Additional Family Information. And it's just their basic info, no documents required.

Also it states right in the guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp
Appendix A: Key definitions
Family members
An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

May 3, 2017
Read the title of that section: SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS FOR SPONSORED PERSONS (PRINCIPAL APPLICANT AND ALL FAMILY MEMBERS).

Siblings and parents are not sponsored persons, so they are not included here as family members.

Parents/siblings only appear in form 5406E - Additional Family Information. And it's just their basic info, no documents required.

Also it states right in the guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp
Appendix A: Key definitions
Family members
An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

ohh..this even apply to new rules for sponsoring spouse ?
you sure right ?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
you sure right ?
Did you not actually read the direct quote from CIC site???
Family members

I'm not sure what else you need.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
you sure right ?
It's not a new rule. It's been like this for many years. You don't need to provide your parents or siblings birth certificates.