+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics/visa status

swah

May 16, 2020
Hi,
My current visa expires on July 20th 2020. I have all my documents for PR, except biometrics. Does anyone know if there is any way I can get it done before my work permit expires or what I can do?? Should I also apply for a visitor visa as it takes 40 days to process? So as I can stay in Canada? (If biometrics opens and I get it done and submit PR can I keep working under implied status?, Or would this mean if mean if a visitor visa gets aprooved I won’t be able to work?) any advice would be greatly appreciated

arun_canpr

Star Member
Apr 27, 2019
Hi,
My current visa expires on July 20th 2020. I have all my documents for PR, except biometrics. Does anyone know if there is any way I can get it done before my work permit expires or what I can do?? Should I also apply for a visitor visa as it takes 40 days to process? So as I can stay in Canada? (If biometrics opens and I get it done and submit PR can I keep working under implied status?, Or would this mean if mean if a visitor visa gets aprooved I won’t be able to work?) any advice would be greatly appreciated
Hi - I believe Biometrics will be requested post your PR application submission(Express Entry) - Not sure if something has changed in recent times. One approach could be submit your PR application & apply BOWP based on that. But the catch here is that, BoWP is dependent upon PR approval - If you have issues with PR, BoWP will be automatically rejected : Thereby pushing you to 'Out of Status'. If your employer supports documentation, would suggest have an PR-Independent WP extension. With Visitor Visa, you already said this -> You can stay legally in Canada but you cannot work.
However, whether it is normal WP or BoWP, apply for it asap so that you can continue working in 'Implied Status' even after Visa expiry. Good Luck!

swah

May 16, 2020
Hi thank you!

So biometrics is requested after you submit all documents for PR??

I thought in order to apply for a BOWP you had to submit a complete PR application that gets the completeness check? Does this not include biometrics?

Also, in terms of implied status - I was under the impression that if I were to submit a full PR application I could keep working under implied status? I have a IEC working holiday work permit.

I also thought that once my permit expires I have leave Canada, as I will be out of status. So I was going to apply for a visitor visa In case?

arun_canpr

Star Member
Apr 27, 2019
Hi thank you!

So biometrics is requested after you submit all documents for PR??

I thought in order to apply for a BOWP you had to submit a complete PR application that gets the completeness check? Does this not include biometrics?

Also, in terms of implied status - I was under the impression that if I were to submit a full PR application I could keep working under implied status? I have a IEC working holiday work permit.

I also thought that once my permit expires I have leave Canada, as I will be out of status. So I was going to apply for a visitor visa In case?
Hi,

You r welcome! My answers:

So biometrics is requested after you submit all documents for PR?? - Yes, per my observations on the various threads - that seems to be the case.
I thought in order to apply for a BOWP you had to submit a complete PR application that gets the completeness check? Does this not include biometrics? - Your AOR(Acknowledgement of Receipt) document, which you will receive shortly after your application submission, will serve as a proof. for applying to BoWP. As a general trend, biometrics would be requested after completeness check(You can base this upon review of relevant threads).
I was under the impression that if I were to submit a full PR application I could keep working under implied status? - Generally, you need a proper WP extension submitted(WP Application should be in progress) - It can be BoWP or your employer-based WP. But for your case(IEC), please refer the Canada.ca site or relevant thread here for more info. Other experts in this forum can also advise.
So I was going to apply for a visitor visa In case? - If you can support yourself financially till you get your PR, you can apply for Visitor Visa. In the current times, PR has a longer processing times(atleast 6 months) + final outcome of your application is also uncertain(Depends on your documentation).

swah

May 16, 2020
Thank you!! This helps me so much!!

I have one more question in regards to an BOWP.
In order to apply you need to submit and OWP with the PR application.

When I am submitting my PR application how do I also ensure I am applying for an open work permit as well? Or is this two separate application?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I just want to ensure I can submit my PR application and keep working while it’s being processed.

arun_canpr

Star Member
Apr 27, 2019
Thank you!! This helps me so much!!

I have one more question in regards to an BOWP.
In order to apply you need to submit and OWP with the PR application.

When I am submitting my PR application how do I also ensure I am applying for an open work permit as well? Or is this two separate application?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I just want to ensure I can submit my PR application and keep working while it’s being processed.
Process would be:
ITA -> Submit PR Application(E-APR) -> AOR(Sent as a PDF letter on your CIC Account) -> Use this as a supporting letter for BoWP.

swah

May 16, 2020
Okay thank you! I was getting confused because it said you had to submit an open work permit with your Pr application in order to qualify for a BOWP?

arun_canpr

Star Member
Apr 27, 2019
Okay thank you! I was getting confused because it said you had to submit an open work permit with your Pr application in order to qualify for a BOWP?
Technically, in my opinion, its not possible as these are two separate routes - One is a Temporary Residence Permit(where you need to show your intention to leave Canada at the end of your requested stay) & Other is a Permanent Residence(Where u intend to stay permanently in Canada). Its just that you can use the latter for former, when the latter is in process. :)

swah

May 16, 2020
Okay thank you. I think I will apply for an BoWP asap.

Would I then have implied status And be able to keep working while both a BOWP and PR is being processed?

I have an IEC working holiday visa, so it a little hard to find exact correct answers on the internet for this particular visa. I’ve tried calling IRCC as well but the lines are extremely busy.

shortgriaffe

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Okay thank you. I think I will apply for an BoWP asap.

Would I then have implied status And be able to keep working while both a BOWP and PR is being processed?

I have an IEC working holiday visa, so it a little hard to find exact correct answers on the internet for this particular visa. I’ve tried calling IRCC as well but the lines are extremely busy.
doesn't BoWP require you to get new biometrics as well?

swah

May 16, 2020
Oh I didn’t know this! But possibly? If this is the case, I hope I can submit a BOWP and keeping working under implied status? Until biometrics opens in which case they can process both Pr and BOWP?

swah

May 16, 2020
If I just submit my Pr application before my current visa expires would I then just be under implied status but cannot work?