+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics / Eligibility Interview

feltaye

Dec 28, 2016
Hello everyone

I applied in Quebec in the 28th of January 2021 and have done medicals a few days after. on the 23th of March I received two letters titled:
1- RE: NOTICE TO RETURN FOR INTERVIEW (file name: Biometric Notice Letter)
2- INFORMATION FOR ATTENDING AN IRCC OFFICE
FOR REFUGEE CLAIM PROCESSING (file name: Biometrics Instruction Letter)

The interview is scheduled for the 31st of March. My questions are:

1- Is it just biometrics or also eligibility interview?
2- In case it was just biometrics, am I gonna receive my work permit soon after or there must be eligibility interview before and how long does it take to process work permit?

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanThomas@S4M

AlanThomas@S4M

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Hello everyone

I applied in Quebec in the 28th of January 2021 and have done medicals a few days after. on the 23th of March I received two letters titled:
1- RE: NOTICE TO RETURN FOR INTERVIEW (file name: Biometric Notice Letter)
2- INFORMATION FOR ATTENDING AN IRCC OFFICE
FOR REFUGEE CLAIM PROCESSING (file name: Biometrics Instruction Letter)

The interview is scheduled for the 31st of March. My questions are:

1- Is it just biometrics or also eligibility interview?
2- In case it was just biometrics, am I gonna receive my work permit soon after or there must be eligibility interview before and how long does it take to process work permit?
Hi, I believe it's going to be just your biometrics. I also received the email stating biometrics but on the letter of how to attend an IRCC office, it said eligibility interview. When I went for the appointment, they took my passport, photos, and biometrics. and told me that they will contact me for the eligibility interview at a later date. My eligibility interview invitation letter was very specific and it stated that they are calling me for conducting the eligibility interview. I hope this helps. But anyways always be prepared. I wish you the best of luck. :)

feltaye

Dec 28, 2016
Hi, I believe it's going to be just your biometrics. I also received the email stating biometrics but on the letter of how to attend an IRCC office, it said eligibility interview. When I went for the appointment, they took my passport, photos, and biometrics. and told me that they will contact me for the eligibility interview at a later date. My eligibility interview invitation letter was very specific and it stated that they are calling me for conducting the eligibility interview. I hope this helps. But anyways always be prepared. I wish you the best of luck. :)
Thank a lot and best of luck for you.

Do you know if they would start processing work permit after the biometrics or it must be after the eligibility interview?

AlanThomas@S4M

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Thank a lot and best of luck for you.

Do you know if they would start processing work permit after the biometrics or it must be after the eligibility interview?
I made a separate online application for work permit after completing my medical. They will approve work permits before the eligibility interview. I got my approval letter within two weeks. I'm waiting to receive it through the mail now.

hba152

Feb 12, 2021
I made a separate online application for work permit after completing my medical. They will approve work permits before the eligibility interview. I got my approval letter within two weeks. I'm waiting to receive it through the mail now.
Hi. Is it paid work permit or still free? As you applied separately.

AlanThomas@S4M

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Hi. Is it paid work permit or still free? As you applied separately.
It is free. You don't have to pay anything. The rules don't change. I guess when you apply a separate application other than just ticking on the schedule 12 additional information form, it makes the application faster and lowers the delay in getting the permit.

FABBYwhite

Apr 4, 2021
It is free. You don't have to pay anything. The rules don't change. I guess when you apply a separate application other than just ticking on the schedule 12 additional information form, it makes the application faster and lowers the delay in getting the permit.
Can i apply for a work permit without a claimant ID? I applied for my claim on February 26th 2021, i only got an AOC form and was asked to go do my medical and wad told i will be contacted for eligibility interview. I have done my medical last month, but i am tired of sitting at home doing nothing, i can't work, i dnt even have friends to hang out with, i'm tired and i'm dying of the depression already. If i get a work permit at least i can keep myself busy with something. Please i need help and advice. Thanks!

feltaye

Dec 28, 2016
Can i apply for a work permit without a claimant ID? I applied for my claim on February 26th 2021, i only got an AOC form and was asked to go do my medical and wad told i will be contacted for eligibility interview. I have done my medical last month, but i am tired of sitting at home doing nothing, i can't work, i dnt even have friends to hang out with, i'm tired and i'm dying of the depression already. If i get a work permit at least i can keep myself busy with something. Please i need help and advice. Thanks!
I applied late January and done my biometrics last week (your next step after medicals) and I think the work permit does not take long after that. So you should up and running soon just some patience everybody's life is different with the lockdown.

Where did you apply if I may ask?

AlanThomas@S4M

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
Yes, you can apply for a work permit before your eligibility interview. The online application makes it faster. Try to find a refugee welcome center near you. They will explain everything to you and also help with the paperwork if you need help. I can understand the feeling man, but keep calm and keep your mind busy with something. Hope this helps. Take care and stay safe. :)

FABBYwhite

Apr 4, 2021
I applied late January and done my biometrics last week (your next step after medicals) and I think the work permit does not take long after that. So you should up and running soon just some patience everybody's life is different with the lockdown.

Where did you apply if I may ask?
My lawyer helped me the application process online here in Toronto

FABBYwhite

Apr 4, 2021
Yes, you can apply for a work permit before your eligibility interview. The online application makes it faster. Try to find a refugee welcome center near you. They will explain everything to you and also help with the paperwork if you need help. I can understand the feeling man, but keep calm and keep your mind busy with something. Hope this helps. Take care and stay safe. :)
My OW case worker gave me an agency number to contact for them to help me apply for the work permit, but the lady told me i need my claimant ID which i don't have yet. She said i need to get my ID before i can apply. So i'm actually confused at this point.

FABBYwhite

Apr 4, 2021
So i actually wanted to know if it's possible to apply without the claimant ID or if i have to wait to get it after my eligibility interview. I was only given an Acknowledgement of claim form which carries just my UCI number.

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
I have been waiting since July, so I think your timeline is reasonable.

AlanThomas@S4M

Star Member
Feb 23, 2021
My OW case worker gave me an agency number to contact for them to help me apply for the work permit, but the lady told me i need my claimant ID which i don't have yet. She said i need to get my ID before i can apply. So i'm actually confused at this point.
For Ontario works, yes you need your claimant ID to be eligible for social assistance. But for a work permit, you can apply before your eligibility interview. As I mentioned earlier, try to get in touch with a refugee welcome center and they will help and guide you with all that stuff.