+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics (Common Law Inland)

Jul 3, 2020
Hey guys I've had some mixed answers on different threads which weren't necessarily to do with this so im making this thread specifically for this so I can get the most accurate answers from you lovely people.

So we submitted our inland common law application beginning of this month and only recently found out thanks to this group that needed to give biometrics again, I didn't pay for biometrics originally because I was misinformed and told that my biometrics last for 10 years and wouldn't need it for permanent residence. Come to find out that that is not true and I do in fact need to give biometrics again.

How do I go about doing this, I know how to pay for them, but my issue is that I had to include the receipts for my common law application (and new work permit) inside of the package that I sent to IRCC. I of course sent this package off. What do I do now? Do I still the $85 now, but then what do I do with the receipt? How do they know I've paid for it. etc etc etc HELP lol

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Huh, the online fee wizard makes it pretty clear that you do need to pay biometrics fees for a PR application.

In any event, you are where you are.

You can try to pay them online and then send a webform (Case Specific Enquiry) with the receipt attached. When you pay, make sure you use the same account (email address or whatever) to pay as you used to pay the other fees. Hopefully by the time someone actually opens your application and then looks at the fee balance, they'll see you paid it.

The challenge with the webform is that you have no application number yet, so they can't immediately track it to your PR application. If you have your UCI, mention that in the webform.

Jul 3, 2020
Trust me, I am kicking myself now - any mention of biometrics I ignored because I was informed that I didn't need them beforehand.

I was thinking about doing that! But as you just said I don't have an app number yet! UCI though, how do I get this?

Jul 3, 2020
interesting.

but, will it be linked? Wont it be my spouse (Canadian citizen) that will receive the AOR first. Will it be confusing. I dont want to have to pay it twice.

And let’s say I don’t pay it now, are they going to reach out and ask me to pay it?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It doesn't matter who receives the AOR first. If you pay for the fee using the same account you used to pay the other fees, and submit a webform, there is a chance that they may associate the payment with your file.

If they do not, your application may be returned for non-payment of fees, OR they'll deduct the fees from the OWP payment (if you applied) making the OWP return without fees OR they'll ask you to pay it. All of the above have happened.

Jul 3, 2020
‘It doesn't matter who receives the AOR first. If you pay for the fee using the same account you used to pay the other fees, and submit a webform, there is a chance that they may associate the payment with your file.’

ok I see and are you saying this based on what’s happened before in this forum, I know in the latter of your reply you mentioned things that have happened before. If so I’m going to do that. I’ll pay the fees using the account we used to pay for the application. And yes,I did apply for OWP.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I googled IRCC webform and got this, I believe it's the correct link: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

As to what might happen - the rules for biometrics changed on December 3 2019. When I paid the fees for my wife, biometrics were not required. By the time the application made it to IRCC, they were. They contacted me and asked me to pay the fees. They may do that with you, but people are rejected for not paying proper fees. Especially since it's now July and the rules changed 8 months ago.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I googled IRCC webform and got this, I believe it's the correct link: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

As to what might happen - the rules for biometrics changed on December 3 2019. When I paid the fees for my wife, biometrics were not required. By the time the application made it to IRCC, they were. They contacted me and asked me to pay the fees. They may do that with you, but people are rejected for not paying proper fees. Especially since it's now July and the rules changed 8 months ago.
On the fee wizard it says “If you need to pay the biometrics fee now, it will take us longer to process your application.” I would assume that means that they will request it later on if it has not been paid.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
On the fee wizard it says “If you need to pay the biometrics fee now, it will take us longer to process your application.” I would assume that means that they will request it later on if it has not been paid.
I assume that means "if your specific application requires you to pay biometrics, biometrics stations are generally not open and we will take longer to process."

If you were required to submit biometrics fees for an application and did not, they may or may not request it later. We haven't had enough experience since December with inland biometrics being required to know if they're returning for unpaid fees - only applications up to February have been completeness checked at the moment, and Jan/Feb people got biometrics reminders. We don't know for anyone later.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
I assume that means "if your specific application requires you to pay biometrics, biometrics stations are generally not open and we will take longer to process."

If you were required to submit biometrics fees for an application and did not, they may or may not request it later. We haven't had enough experience since December with inland biometrics being required to know if they're returning for unpaid fees - only applications up to February have been completeness checked at the moment, and Jan/Feb people got biometrics reminders. We don't know for anyone later.
Ok I see. I’m in the same boat. I thought because I never had to give biometrics in the past as a USA citizen so I thought I was exempt. Come to find out I’m not. Lovely lol. I hope they don’t return the app.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Ok I see. I’m in the same boat. I thought because I never had to give biometrics in the past as a USA citizen so I thought I was exempt. Come to find out I’m not. Lovely lol. I hope they don’t return the app.
No, you have to give them for the PR application. Mandatory for everyone. Fingers crossed for you.

villeray

May 14, 2019
App. Filed.......
17-11-2020
I was under impression that inland applications don't need biometrics. I'm finding conflicting answers all over the forum and government site. I'm sponsoring my wife inland, and she's from the USA.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/biometrics.asp

Says that we don't need to provide biometrics. So we didn't pay the fee. Are we correct in this?

Edit : rereading the thread and noticed the comment that the rule has changed Dec 3, 2019, hence the confusion from posts older than that date.
I guess we will need to send them the receipt by webform once we get the biometrics fee reminder email.

Last edited: