+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics barcode did not scan

daisy2019

Star Member
Mar 28, 2019
I had my biometrics appointment at an immigration field office (USA) and somehow they were unable to scan the barcode that was on my BIOMETRICS Letter so the lady manually entered my information. There were these two fields
"CITIZENSHIP " AND "COUNTRY OF BIRTH"
and surprisingly it did not allow LETTERS OR ALPHABETS. The system only allowed 3 DIGITS NUMBER so she just entered the last three digits of my citizenship number and it worked. IDK! it was weird.

They took my fingerprints anyway, but I am a little skeptical about this whole thing. Hope it works.

Have you guys experienced anything this like?

Thank you in advance

Reactions: canadaguy238

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
The same thing happened to me today at a USA immigration field office. The barcode would not scan. Well it did scan, but the information was not coming up like it should. They said they could transmit it manually, but they needed a country code and could not find the country code, so they turned us away and told us to contact Canada immigration to get a new barcode or something.

daisy2019

Star Member
Mar 28, 2019
I am sitting on hold now with Canada immigration....hopefully they can help to fix it.

Can you please keep me posted on this? I am in the US and there's no number to call Canadian immigration from here. I did fill out an inquiry form though.

Do you mind sharing me the contact info, please?

Thanks

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
Here is the number if you are OUTSIDE of Canada and need to call the Canada Immigration phone number: 613-944-4000. I called around 1pm PST and got through! (I tried calling Friday just before 5 PST and it told me it could not transfer the call because I was outside of Canada).

Expect long wait times. I waited about 40-45 minutes to speak to someone.

He told me that he would put in a request to reissue a new biometric letter which could take up to 30 days. He told me they had no country codes and so he could not give me any country code. He said its possible a country code does exist, but he had no knowledge of a country code and could not give me any country code.

My common law partner and I went to the USCIS at 3pm PST (on a Friday) and they close at 4pm. They told us at 3:55pm that if we could get someone on the phone within 5 minutes, they could help us. Otherwise, we were told to come back another day (very frustrating!!).

They tried to call Canada immigration, but it was all closed because it was after 5pm on the east coast. Im going to go back with my common law partner earlier in the day, and tell them to use literally anything for the "country code" or they can call Canada immigration and ill give them the phone number above. If that doesn't work, maybe the new biometric letter will. We will see.

Reactions: daisy2019

daisy2019

Star Member
Mar 28, 2019
Thank you so much for taking out your time to write back a response for me. I truly appreciate it and I am really sorry you and partner had to go through the trouble. I know its frustrating

So, that day when I went for my biometrics, the lady at the counter took my fingerprints anyway, despite not having the "country code". She just entered the last three no of my citizenship card (back home citizenship card) and the system allowed her to proceed with the rest of the biometrics work.

Now, I just wanted to confirm that they have my biometrics because it was submitted last Thursday and still no update on my account.

I will keep you updated if I get any info from CIC.

Good luck!

Thanks again. :)

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
Thank you too for updating here! You are so lucky they entered that code for you. I would guess that it will work. Please update here if you hear back about your biometrics. Thanks so much!

Reactions: daisy2019

daisy2019

Star Member
Mar 28, 2019
Thank you too for updating here! You are so lucky they entered that code for you. I would guess that it will work. Please update here if you hear back about your biometrics. Thanks so much!
Hi there, I got an update saying they haven't received my biometrics yet. I had filled out the "webform". I think the agent would just be able to provide you info based on what they see online. My online status does not have any update yet and it almost one week that my fingerprints were taken and still no update.

Even if they send us another biometrics letter, we might run into the same "3 digits" country code issue.

Did you get any update from them?

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
I have not gotten any update from them. Please update me if you hear anything back from them. I will update you if I hear anything. They have not re-issued a new biometric form yet. :(

Reactions: Kemoosha

canadaguy238

Star Member
Nov 23, 2015
I think I am going to call the US immigration office on Monday and ask them if I can email or fax our biometric letter and see if they can get it to scan or something. Then we can go in if/when they get it to work. Ill call on Monday and see if they will help us that way. I am mentioning this just in case you want to do the same.

daisy2019

Star Member
Mar 28, 2019
hey, thanks for the update. My husband (who is in Canada) got a hold of Canadian immigration and the agent on the phone that they don't have a record of receiving my biometrics. I have filled out the 'webform" where I have attached the screenshot of my biometrics appointment here in the USA immigration field office.

And thank you, I might try calling USCIS also and see what they say. Let's stay in touch. PLEASE!

thanks

daisy2019

Star Member
Mar 28, 2019
FYI :

It looks like you won't always get a 3 DIGITS country code on your biometrics appointment letter if that's the case, ask the person at the counter they will have a list of country code that they can manually enter but it may vary from country to country

i live in the states and i recently found out that USCIS field offices have that list.