+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Biometrics appointment for family member

hazepas

Feb 5, 2020
We just received the biometrics letter for me and my husband. My husband is the primary applicant. Do we need to create a separate account on VFS to be able to schedule the biometrics appointment? Or we can use one VFS account for scheduling both our biometrics appointment? TIA.

vijuureddy

Jun 25, 2023
Hello everyone,

I recently submitted visitor visa applications for my wife and myself to Canada a few days ago. During the application process, I answered "NO" to the question asking if we had previously given biometrics. A family biometric fee of $170 was collected. Strangely, only I received the biometric request form to schedule an appointment. Upon checking my wife's application, it states that biometrics are not required for her.

Here's what is displayed in our application portal:

For me:
"We need your fingerprints to process your application. Please check your messages below for further details."
For my spouse:
"We do not need your fingerprints at this time. We will notify you if this changes."

My question is: If we apply for a family visitor visa, is it sufficient for only the principal applicant to provide biometrics?

If the answer is yes, then why was the fee collected for both of us?

Could someone please help me understand this situation? Thank you in advance.

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hello everyone,

I recently submitted visitor visa applications for my wife and myself to Canada a few days ago. During the application process, I answered "NO" to the question asking if we had previously given biometrics. A family biometric fee of $170 was collected. Strangely, only I received the biometric request form to schedule an appointment. Upon checking my wife's application, it states that biometrics are not required for her.

Here's what is displayed in our application portal:

For me:
"We need your fingerprints to process your application. Please check your messages below for further details."
For my spouse:
"We do not need your fingerprints at this time. We will notify you if this changes."

My question is: If we apply for a family visitor visa, is it sufficient for only the principal applicant to provide biometrics?

If the answer is yes, then why was the fee collected for both of us?

Could someone please help me understand this situation? Thank you in advance.
In your case , both should give biometrics
Assuming you are from India, check the forum. Lately many people have been facing the issue of not receiving BIL

Wait for a few days and raise a webform if nothing.

Good Luck.

vijuureddy

Jun 25, 2023
Thank you for your prompt response!

We currently reside in the United States of America and submitted our applications from Texas, even though we hold Indian passports. Just to provide some context, we had obtained Canada Visitor Visas previously, but back then, Indian passport holders were not required to provide biometrics. However, it seems that the biometric requirement has now been included.