+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

bill c-6 - when is going to be approved?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
The Conservatives had the majority in all the chambers and Bill C-24 was approved without any amendments in 2014.

The situation now at the Senate will be tricky because they might push back the Bill for more amendments in the Commons, if they start to do that (which is pretty possible) this Bill might face significant delays. I am pretty sure that Harper and Kenney have already instructed the Senate to hold that Bill as much as possible. The Senate is the only problematic stage.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Harper and Kenney can influence the Senate which has Conservative majority.
The Minister also expressed his concerns about the Senate at the first meeting of the Committee.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
The Conservatives are trying to amend Bill C-24 to be effective minimum 5 years before any revisions, that didn't pass at the Committee because the Liberals has full control there, but at the Senate is the exact opposite. The Liberals don't have full control in the Senate.

It is likely the Conservative Senate to push the same 5 years amendment once again.

"While it is highly unlikely the Senate’s Conservative majority would defeat C-6 – the Senate has defeated only six government bills since 1945 — Conservative Sen. Vern White said the bill could be sent back to the House of Commons with amendments, such as delaying its coming into force for five years or prohibiting retroactivity. (If the Senate and the House of Commons do not agree on the contents of a bill, they may propose amendments until they reach agreement.)"

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/a-terrorist-is-a-terrorist-is-a-terrorist-tory-senators-vow-to-fight-changes-to-citizenship-laws-for-dual-nationals

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
What seems funny to me is that Conservatives introduced a law that does not make much sense (I don't talk from my own prospective - I don't care about it except for intent to reside clause) and made it a very quick a swift move. When Liberals turn it back they must prove to Conservatives why they do that. Why? It had to be Conservatives proving that meaningless law is good for Canada and not opposite. Is it because Liberals are more polite than Conservatives? or it is because Liberals with their majority still weaker than Conservatives?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
I fully support Bill C-6 because it will remove the Intend to reside clause when the Royal Ascent is given. About the rest of the provisions I am relaxed , because they will come into force later on, hence the big flood is not expected any time soon.

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
Jee786 said:
I am not sure about the senate, but you seems like praying everyday against bill C-6. At least your past comments in last 6 months suggested that.
Exactly! he also seems to give false information about Conservatives proposing a 5 year set back for C-6 which apparently was not the case in last committee meeting.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
skidmarkz said:
Hi, when will the third reading vote take place?
Thanks
Hi There!
if you mean in the house of commons,nobody knows the exact date. I guess personally it should be within 15 days maximum, I just speculate.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
ahmadimo said:
Exactly! he also seems to give false information about Conservatives proposing a 5 year set back for C-6 which apparently was not the case in last committee meeting.
The Conservatives proposed amendments to hold Bill C-6 for 5 years on the last Committee meeting, But it didn't pass because the Liberals have majority there.

The problem have always been what will happen at the Senate, because the Liberals don't have full control there. And once again the same 5 years hold is likely to be raised at the Senate due to the Conservative majority there. Read the article above regarding this.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Jee786 said:
Keep dreaming. Selfish dream often considered as karma. Who knows, something might come which gonna make your citizenship harder, may be some RQ, other delays. God knows everything.
My biggest concern is to apply before the big flood. Which is guaranteed that will happen. And I am pretty aware that minimum 20% from all applications will face delays. CIC just works that way. No mandatory deadlines for CIC to follow.

I mean that the CIC is not working efficiently so no surprise if I also end up in the unlucky 20%. People are still waiting from 2011 and still no clue when it will over.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
ahmadimo said:
The suggested amendment was not to postpone Bill C-6 for five years, but rather, to have a review provision five years after Bill C-6 was passed. It was voted down by the government obviously, and it's got nothing to do with delaying the Bill for five years.

The Conservatives noted their objections to the reduced residency requirements, the repeal of the intent to reside provision, the reduction in knowledge and language testing to 18 to 54 from 14 to 64, and revocation in cases of terror or treason. They also tabled an amendment having a five-year review provision (not part of the Conservatives’ C-24) which the Government-side voted down.

https://multiculturalmeanderings.wordpress.com/page/2/

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Politren said:
My biggest concern is to apply before the big flood. Which is guaranteed that will happen. And I am pretty aware that minimum 20% from all applications will face delays. CIC just works that way. No mandatory deadlines for CIC to follow.

I mean that the CIC is not working efficiently so no surprise if I also end up in the unlucky 20%. People are still waiting from 2011 and still no clue when it will over.
Politern looks like that you are very near to stainless steel trap.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
Conservative will try all they can to block bill c6 or delay it, this is their political ego, they will never accept they are wrong and will go all the say to argue that their hastily introduced bill c24 is right. For political reasons snd ego they will fight tooth and nail including voting bill c6 down in senate. This is so ugly!

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
heeradeepak said:
Applying citizenship with Intend to reside clause.
The good thing is that Intend to reside clause will be removed on Royal Ascent, which I have pretty realistic expectations that will happen before the summer recess of the Parliament. If there is no Royal Ascent before the summer recess then I have to apply with effective Intend to reside clause. There are only couple of weeks left before the summer recess. The Liberals need to hurry up because there are still a lot of steps to be completed and there is not much time left.