+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

bill c-6 - when is going to be approved?

tarikMontreal

Mar 22, 2015
the bill is in the 2nd reading. I think there are 3 readings in total.

https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-6/?tab=mentions

mptocanada

Star Member
Sep 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cappuccino said:
It also depends how much opposition from the conservatives the bill receives.

Although they probably can't ultimately stop it going through, they can make it difficult and can delay things.

I'd say in effect within 12 months is a realistic timeframe if the conservatives don't make life too difficult. If they do, could be longer.
Hi,

I saw on the senate website that conservatives are 42, Independent 13 and Liberals only 26. Do you think if the law will be stopped and rejected when it reaches the Senate?

cec4111

Star Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visa Office......
Calgary
David_2015 said:
it might get stopped

and there will be lot of controversy this bill might not pass in time give it 1.5 years
I wish and hope this is not true

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
This bill already passed second reading during 15 days so it s mean will be approve less then 3 months for sure. I believe Canada day is good that to approval this bill. Canadian is Canadian is Canadian .

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
i think it didnt pass second reading yet ! today they are supposed to disucss it

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
While the timeline for Bill C-6 cannot be reliably predicted, it is likely it will be adopted and become law.

To the extent the Senate might obstruct adoption of Bill C-6, while technically it could totally scuttle the Bill, the likelihood of that is small. Possible, but not at all likely.

The more salient possibility is that the Senate proposes amendments which require the Bill to be revisited in the House of Commons, and if those amendments are not acceptable to the majority in Parliament, the process could take a long while to reconcile the differences and pass a Bill which gets adopted. The usual suspect would be section 3 in Bill C-6, which repeals subsection 10.(2) in the current Citizenship Act (provision giving Minister authority to revoke citizenship for those convicted of certain crimes), and section 4 in Bill C-6 which amends other provisions of the Citizenship Act related to the implementation of subsection 10.(2).

Whether this particular part of Bill C-6 (sections 3 & 4 of the Bill) becomes problematic may depend in part on the extent to which Canadian opinion swings one way or the other. Currently, as noted before and often, the Liberal motto a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian appears to have wide-based and strong appeal, and unless this is dramatically eroded (such as in reaction to a major terrorist event in Canada or directly affecting Canada), it is hard to see how the Senate could successfully oppose these changes to the Citizenship Act.

In any event: While it is difficult to say when, the odds are high that Bill C-6 will be adopted and become law, with no major revisions. However, politics are always prone to dramatic and unpredictable shifts in the wind, so there are no guarantees, none at all. Unless and until Bill C-6 is passed by the Senate and finally adopted in Parliament, there is no relying on its provisions becoming law, let alone on any predictions about when its provisions will take actual effect.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
artin2015 said:
This bill already passed second reading during 15 days so it s mean will be approve less then 3 months for sure. I believe Canada day is good that to approval this bill. Canadian is Canadian is Canadian .
June-2016 is reliably predicted sure it will be adopted and become law.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
The Conservatives were also determinant to get effective the current Law ASAP and they also had the majority. It took them 16 months to get everything effective. (timeline of C-24, First reading FEB, 2014, Fully effective June, 2015)

Here we can expect pretty much the same unfolding scenario as the best case optimistic scenario.

After the Royal Assent which indeed most probably will come in June this year, the Minister has to start thinking about how to change the whole internal process, which will most likely take similar grace period, before the effective date of the 3/5 rule as the previous ~12months.

The Liberals know that a lot of back office work needs to be done before the cut off date for the 3/5 rule, otherwise we will see a disaster in the processing times. The Minister admitted last week that overhaul of the whole internal process is needed. So all that will take again significant amount of time, because he also said that as of now they don't have any idea how to reduce the processing times.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Politren said:
The Conservatives were also determinant to get effective the current Law ASAP and they also had the majority. It took them 16 months to get everything effective. (timeline of C-24, First reading FEB, 2014, Fully effective June, 2015)

Here we can expect pretty much the same unfolding scenario as the best case optimistic scenario.

After the Royal Assent which indeed most probably will come in June this year, the Minister has to start thinking about how to change the whole internal process, which will most likely take similar grace period, before the effective date of the 3/5 rule as the previous ~12months.

The Liberals know that a lot of back office work needs to be done before the cut off date for the 3/5 rule, otherwise we will see a disaster in the processing times. The Minister admitted last week that overhaul of the whole internal process is needed. So all that will take again significant amount of time, because he also said that as of now they don't have any idea how to reduce the processing times.
If I remember correctly, the last rule change ( to 4/6) was kept in dark completely after the bill was passed, for over a year people were constantly guessing when it would take effect, the only thing people knew was that Chris Alexander's wife applied, then shortly after that, the new rule took effect with only a couple of weeks of notice, and no explanation of why it took this long

galant

Dec 28, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
As per my discussion with my friends, and experienced members, I predict, Bill C6 will get approved.
I guess it will be done by June/July 2016.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
Politren said:

u are wrong effected on 19 jun 2014
This is refrance http://www.parl.gc.ca/legisinfo/BillDetails.aspx?billId=6401990&Mode=1&Language=E

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
artin2015 said:
u are wrong effected on 19 jun 2014
This is refrance http://www.parl.gc.ca/legisinfo/BillDetails.aspx?billId=6401990&Mode=1&Language=E
There is a big difference between a Royal Assent and effective cut off date. The effective cut off date will most likely come again long after the Royal Assent.

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
Politren said:
There is a big difference between a Royal Assent and effective cut off date. The effective cut off date will most likely come again long after the Royal Assent.
No i remember end of 2014 i suppose to applied for my citizenship but effective was exactly on 19 jun 2014 so I couldn't applied for my citizenship i never forget this day