Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
spyfy said:
Update: What happened today, April 6th

By now, I went through the journal. No surprises, it echoes exactly what others have reported already this afternoon.

Just to recap things again:
- Currently, an amendment is discussed that will change the rights of minors to apply for citizenship (among other things, this is about when these minors can apply without their parents' consent etc)
- While this is the only amendment that is currently open for discussion and a vote, it seems, based on reports from the chamber, that other amendments are "in the pipeline" and will be moved once the current amendment has been dealt with.
- The Senate is adjourned until next Tuesday, April 11. It can be expected that they will pick up the debate right where they left it off.
- Also note that debate was adjourned on the request of Senator Jaffer who is known to be someone who wants this bill to pass.

What to expect:
- The Senate will have to deal with the amendments one-by-one. Because of how Senate procedure works, it is always one amendment at a time (other parliaments first request all suggested amendments, and then afterwards all of them are discussed one-by-one. Not so in the Canadian Senate, where after every amendment there can be another one suggested, there is no deadline as long as the bill hasn't passed third reading).
- There is therefore no reliable info on how many amendments are still coming. There are only tweets and as we all know they should always be taken with a grain of salt. More like a spoon of salt :)

Some general advice (that you can of course ignore):
- First off, based on what has been reported, do not expect this bill to pass before easter. While it is still theoretically possible, it has been signalled from several sources that it won't be the case due to the number of amendments. The Senate has only three sitting days before easter.
- This forum, particularly the other thread, is full of people who "predict" that this bill will pass, will not pass, will pass by XXX, will not pass the House of Commons, will pass the House of Commons, will be vetoed by the Queen herself :) - you get the point. Whatever guess you read here, keep in mind that it is made by people who mostly follow parliamentary procedure for the first time in their lives and who are also very emotionally involved in the matter. Don't take it too seriously.
- That said: I suggest to everyone, myself included, to have an amazing Friday and then a great weekend without checking the internet for updates non-stop. There will be no substantial development until Tuesday. So taking a break will have a great effect on your sanity, I think. It'll definitely help mine.

That's it, over and out, see you on Tuesday! :)
Thanks for the update

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
March 8, 2017—Resuming debate on the motion of the Honourable Senator Omidvar, seconded by the Honourable Senator Gagné, for the third reading of Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act, as amended.

And on the motion in amendment of the Honourable Senator Oh, seconded by the Honourable Senator Dagenais:

That Bill C-6, as amended, be not now read a third time, but that it be further amended in clause 1,

(a) on page 1, by replacing lines 4 and 5 with the following:

“1 (0.1) Paragraph 5(1)(b) of the Citizenship Act is repealed.

(1) The portion of paragraph 5(1)(c) of the Act before subparagraph (i) is replaced”;

(b)on page 2,

(i)by replacing line 4 with the following:

“(d) if 18 years of age or more but less than 60 years of age at the date of his or her ap-”,

(ii)by replacing line 7 with the following:

“(e) if 18 years of age or more but less than 60 years of age at the date of his or her ap-”, and

(iii)by adding after line 26 the following:

“(7.1) Section 5 of the Act is amended by adding the following after subsection (1.03):

(1.04) When the application referred to in paragraph (1)(a) is in respect of a minor, it must be

(a) made by either parent, by a legal or de facto guardian or by any other person having custody of the minor, whether by virtue of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction, a written agreement or the operation of law; and

(b) countersigned by the minor, if the minor has attained the age of 14 years on or before the day on which the application is made and is not prevented from understanding the significance of the application because of a mental disability.

(1.05) If the Minister waives the requirement set out in paragraph (1.04)(a) under subparagraph (3)(b)(v), the application referred to paragraph (1)(a) may be made by the minor.”;

(c)on page 3, by replacing lines 2 and 3 with the following:

“repealing subparagraphs (i) and (iii), by adding “or” at the end of subparagraph (iv), and by adding the following after subparagraph (iv):

(v) the requirement respecting who may make an application in respect of a minor set out in paragraph (1.04)(a).”; and

(d) on page 6, by adding the following after line 38:

“17.1 Until the day on which subsection 1(6) comes into force, paragraphs 5(1)(d) and (e) of the Citizenship Act are replaced by the following:

(d) if 18 years of age or more but less than 65 years of age at the date of his or her application, has an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada;

(e) if 18 years of age or more but less than 65 years of age at the date of his or her application, demonstrates in one of the official languages of Canada that he or she has an adequate knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship; and”.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Sitting day today!
First: It was so relaxing to stay off this topic for four days. Highly recommended :)

Since I will be busy today I will wait again for the journal that'll be published tonight to see what will/has happened today.

For those who want to tune in, here is the link to the Senate audio:
http://ow.ly/I0L630aJELF

As usual, they will first deal with routine proceedings and question period, so don't expect anything to happen before 3pm/3:30pm. Also note that there is another bill before the Senate C-4 which is also debated for amendments. So when you tune in, before stressing out make sure that they are actually talking about C-6 and not C-4.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Update: They moved question period to after 3:30 since they are waiting for a Minister who is currently in a HoC sitting. This means third readings will happen earlier than anticipated.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
spyfy said:
Update: They moved question period to after 3:30 since they are waiting for a Minister who is currently in a HoC sitting. This means third readings will happen earlier than anticipated.
https://twitter.com/SenatorVictorOh/status/851798921059995648

For you guys to guess whats going on, Do you think there is a deal

smilermail

Star Member
Mar 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spyfy said:
Are we waiting for the proposed amendments or just the third reading?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
monalisa said:
https://twitter.com/SenatorVictorOh/status/851798921059995648

For you guys to guess whats going on, Do you think there is a deal
Again, this thread is for facts only. We won't discuss here if people think or don't think that some Senators think or don't think something. And we will certainly not guess.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
spyfy said:
Again, this thread is for facts only. We won't discuss here if people think or don't think that some Senators think or don't think something. And we will certainly not guess.
Yes the fact is senator oh thanked senator jaffer ;D

C6 will be continued after question period, at 3.18 they will vote on c4 amendments, is it the last amendment on c4?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
monalisa said:
Yes the fact is senator oh thanked senator jaffer ;D

C6 will be continued after question period, at 3.18 they will vote on c4 amendments, is it the last amendment on c4?
There is never more than one amendment per bill before the Senate at any given time. Still, someone can propose a new amendment once this amendment has passed or was defeated. Senators seem to decide on proposing or not proposing amendments over breakfast :) so we can only wait and see.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
There is nothing about C-6 happening. They are exclusively talking about C-4 right now.

And although I feel like giving that advice to you every day: This is not a hockey game. Just wait for some hours and then read up on what happened. Patience! :)

proudian

Mar 17, 2017
Sorry :( I feel frustrated after seeing the progress which makes me to post hear
spyfy said:
There is nothing about C-6 happening. They are exclusively talking about C-4 right now.

And although I feel like giving that advice to you every day: This is not a hockey game. Just wait for some hours and then read up on what happened. Patience! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.