WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Hi all,

I'm a new immigrant and since I arrived, got a few emails from "recruitment agencies" inviting me for interviews. But when researching them on the Internet, it appears that they were scamming people who only want to get easy money. So I started this thread in order to alert others. Please share your experiences as well.

Here's an example of a scam: they send you an email saying that your resume was found in Workopolis or Monster, it got selected from hundreds of applicants but at the end didn't go through the final selection stage. But since "you seem to be a candidate with lots of potential" you are invited to come for an interview. They're very polite but they tell you that in order to continue the job search process for you, you should pay them $5000 or something like that. Sometimes they ask you to bring your spouse because of the necessary "investment".

Please beware of these scams! You should never pay money for a promise to get a job!!! Do your research!

Examples of companies that are a SCAM: Job Success, William Baxter, Robertson, RDG Careers, Toronto Pathways, Bernier Promotions.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/toronto-pathways-toronto-ontario-c477611.html

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011

ezfix

Oct 15, 2012
Anyone knows about Canada Tourist Hotel in Telus Plaza North Tower,
0025, Jasper Avenue Edmonton, Alberta T5J 1S6.Hotel officer sent me an email for the job application,also they sent me requirements for the processing of visa and temporary resident in canada.after that they tell me to sent a money for the processing of my Canada Legal Entry Acceptability Resolve but i did not sent them the money,i want to make it clear is it true that there is an Canada Tourist Hotel in Edmonton Alberta?

meldxb

Jan 22, 2012
Hi
Just be careful when applying for jobs on kijiji and craigslist, there are several scams going on there. I received two calls from unknown numbers (I believe they make VOIP calls through Skype). When something looks to good to be true then do not fall for it. Watch out for calls from unknown numbers, hotmail, yahoo, gmail or any non-corporate email IDs. I had applied for many positions but when I asked Tyler Riggins what the job was he had no answer as he must have been emailing and calling numerous folks. Here is the email I received following the call from Tyler Riggins (fake name).

To:
Sent: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/CUSTOMER SERVICE EXECUTIVE (TORONTO)

Thanks for sending in your resume,

This is an administrative job but the position might seem different because its a work from home. I really need someone urgently to take up the position as my personal assistant and also help me with shipping, mailing and general errands. My name is Tyler Riggins and Mr Chang Wu use to be my personal assistant and he just traveled back to his country (China) on an emergency. I would have loved to meet up with you to talk about this job, but I am currently away on business trip. I am currently in California so there will be no interview, till I get back to Canada in December, then we can meet and talk more about the future of the job as i would be setting up an art gallery and I can have you manage it. All you need to do is follow instructions daily. I am an Artist. I just started my own art gallery here in California, I buy ideas, Artifacts, antics and materials from ancient cities and I have got so many clients as companies, individuals and governmental institutions and private museums.

I am looking for someone who can handle my personal and business errands at his/her spare time. Someone who can offer the services listed on the advert on craigslist such as receiving calls and reporting back to me what information you got from clients, replying emails and printing invitation for exhibitions, shopping for gifts and materials, paying bills as well as receiving payments from clients when am not around, handle local cash and transfers on my behalf such as Western Union. This position is a very trusting one and a high level of trust worthiness is required. So if you know you fit into this category/personality then i would be expecting your prompt response back.

You will work on the average of about 20-30hrs per week and I will start by paying you $550 per week which will rise to $950 depending on how effective you are, the job will start from the moment you start running errands. This job is temporary and could possibly be a permanent one for you based on how you deliver your duties, we will talk more when am back and you can take part more in my successfully growing business.

I will email you the list and samples of pictures of what to shop for when I need you to shop for me and will be precise on what and where, funds will be giving upfront and the shopping must be reported in detailed manner. No heavy packages is involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them.

Please provide the following information of you, (no mistakes in name as it will appear on payments):

Full Name:
Full Address:
Apartment number:
City:
State:
Zipcode:
(NO P.O.BOX)
Phone Number:
Current Occupation:

Once you send all this information, i will make a back ground check on your details and will get back to you within 24hrs to let you know if you get the job and you start immediately.

Thank you!

Tyler Riggins

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ezfix said:
Anyone knows about Canada Tourist Hotel in Telus Plaza North Tower,
0025, Jasper Avenue Edmonton, Alberta T5J 1S6.Hotel officer sent me an email for the job application,also they sent me requirements for the processing of visa and temporary resident in canada.after that they tell me to sent a money for the processing of my Canada Legal Entry Acceptability Resolve but i did not sent them the money,i want to make it clear is it true that there is an Canada Tourist Hotel in Edmonton Alberta?
I've never heard of the item they're wanting money for... So I searched for the business on Edmonton's Better Business Bureau webpage and it came back with no results. I'd say it was a scam.

Furthermore, employers are NOT allow to ask you for any money. Part of the TFW requirements include this and in many jobs, they are even required to pay for your flight to Canada.

http://www.edmonton.bbb.org/

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Hi all,
Thank you for posting your experiences! Wow it seems there are many scams out there!

Remember that if they ask you to pay for a job, it's not a real job!

Here's another fishy message :

Dear ...,

Your resume was recently evaluated by us. The qualifications and experience you offer are worthwile. However after careful consideration we have decided that we can provide assistance to you through our contacts.

In our network of contacts are colleagues who work only with qualified management and executive level professional candidates to target numerous positions they see weekly.

We’ll need your permission to forward your resume for them to contact you. To accept please reply with your resume attached.

Sincerely,

Carl Rainier, Manager
Rainier Agencies
At first it seems legitimate, but if you read carefully...

- first it says "your resume was evaluated by us"
- then at the end, "reply with your resume attached" (why send it again? It's not enough to let them know that I'm still looking for a job?)
- there are no specifics about this person's position (Manager of what?)
- there's no information or website for me to contact them
- they don't exist on the web (any reputable company should have a website. Even if it's a one person company, they'll be on LinkedIn/ MySpace/ Twitter, etc. with a picture -of course these can be fake too, but the fact that their domain "rainieragencies.com" doesn't exist, sends a red flag to me)

A friend replied to the message, someone else (different fake name) called her for an interview, and at the interview they asked her to pay $2000... :eek:

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Please BEWARE of TORONTO PATHWAYS too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0qilenGVi4&feature=related

http://www.ripoffreport.com/employment-services/toronto-pathways/toronto-pathways-rdg-group-rd-81e8d.htm

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Any business in Canada or the USA can be researched at the Better Business Bureau. (BBB) Reputable businesses are proud of their good standing with the BBB. Research potential employers there! You can google businesses too and see what current and former employees have to say.

The BBB helps you with complaints against businesses too if you've gotten poor service or product.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be very careful if you get an email offering you a job. It is true that employers can not ask you for money in order to hire you. The cost of the work permit should be paid by the employer. I have heard of similar scams where you are offered a job in a hotel or similar and asked to pay different visa fees and even health care fees. As long as you pay, they will continue to think of new fees to charge you with and of course there is no job.

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Amikety and Leon,

Thank you for your input!

Here's a ranking of Scams in 2011 in BBB's website:

http://www.bbb.org/blog/top-scams-of-2011.html

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Concordia student loses thousands to cheque scam

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/10/20/montreal-concordia-student-fleeced-by-cheque-scam.html

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
Thanks for the info shakira.
This surely gives a lot of information to new comers.
Now I am worried about the job search after landing in Canada !!!

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Hi, yesterday and today I received the same message below.

The senders' names were Theresa Watson and Connie Wallace and the email address was the same, 000me2@163.com

Subject: Vacancy Account Manager

Hi!
We have found you resume on Canada board.
Our Company presents one of the most well-established and successful businesses. It takes pride in providing
highly efficient and effective end-to-end solutions for clients. And now we are looking for a
Part-Time Account Clerk to be part of a dynamic business and work for a leader:

The Position:

Reporting directly to the General Manager, your main objective will be to manage all operational functions.

The vacancy will include responsibilities such as:

1. Supervise and develop.
2. Requesting payoff demands and beneficiary statements
3. Facilitating the receipt and approval of reports
4. Making prorations and adjustments
5. Plan, direct, coordinate the operations with customers
6. Keeping accurate records of operations

The Requirements:

1. Analytically focused.
2. Ability to drive results.
3. Excellent communication.
4. Expert in identifying and resolving issues.

If you see this opportunity as a benefit for your self, please contact our HR urgently at email box: manager_First_Trust@gmx.com

eagle89

Dec 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shakira2009 said:
Hi, yesterday and today I received the same message below.

The senders' names were Theresa Watson and Connie Wallace and the email address was the same, 000me2 @ 163.com
Hi,
same emails are coming in my mailbox since last 3 days.

sender of email is 'Emily Diaz'.......email address of the sender is '007lansehaiyang @ 163.com'......subject line is 'vacancy'....

content of the email is.....

"Hello!
We have found you resume on Canada source.
Our Company presents one of the most well-established and successful businesses. It takes pride in providing
highly efficient and effective end-to-end solutions for clients. And now we are looking for a
Part-Time Account Clerk to be part of a dynamic business and work for a leader:

The Position:

Reporting directly to the General Manager, your main objective will be to manage all operational functions.

The vacancy will include responsibilities such as:

1. Supervise and develop.
2. Requesting payoff demands and beneficiary statements
3. Facilitating the receipt and approval of reports
4. Making prorations and adjustments
5. Plan, direct, coordinate the operations with customers
6. Keeping accurate records of operations

The Requirements:

1. Analytically focused.
2. Ability to drive results.
3. Excellent communication.
4. Expert in identifying and resolving issues.

If you see this opportunity as a benefit for your self, please contact our HR urgently at email: manager_First_Trust @ gmx.com"

Interesting things are......

How come sender of the email knows that we are heading to canada? as i m going for study purpose not to work.....still he/she wrote about canada only not other country?

From where they people find our email ids?

I am fresh university graduate not posted my resume anywhere (i mean not even on internet sites)..i m wondering how come they can write we have found your resume on internet?

everyone please beware of such cheap people...they want to reap innocent people....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eagle89 said:
How come sender of the email knows that we are heading to canada? as i m going for study purpose not to work.....still he/she wrote about canada only not other country?

From where they people find our email ids?
They probably found your email address or bought the list through something you have registered for at some point or something you have ordered at some point.

They probably do not know you are going to Canada. They probably just send to everybody on their list, hoping that some of them may fall for it. I have gotten spam telling me that there is a problem with my Capital One credit card or my MBNA credit card or my BMO credit card and to please give them my password. Now you might ask how do they know I have all those credit cards? I don't. They are just fishing. They are hoping maybe I have one of them and I am stupid enough to go on their site and give them my card number and pin or online banking password. Same with the job scam, they send out 1 million emails and maybe 100 people fall for it.