+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to sponsor spouse 2018

vishal021

Sep 29, 2015
Hi Guys,

I recently received my PR and planning to get married soon. My fiance is working in India as a software developer and I was wondering what's the best and quickest way for her to get here in Canada. I was thinking below options but any suggestions or comments are very much appreciated.

option 1) I would go to India next year, get married legally and get marriage certificate. She may apply for study visa and study here, The moment she comes here I would file/Sponsor her PR and submit In-Canada application and by the time she gets an approval, she might work here on Open work permit. However, It would require enrolling in a school here which is expensive and if her application gets refused after two years, I can't make an appeal and resubmit and she would have to leave country.

option 2) I would go to India and marry her legally. I would then apply/sponsor her overseas application and she can work in India by the time she receives PR which is like one year. She can apply for visitor's visa while her PR application is still in progress and visit me here for a month or so. However, she can't work here legally while on visitor's visa. We would have to live separate for more than one year

Also, how much processing time it actually takes for In-Canada and Outside-Canada application for India?

Any other options or suggestions are appreciated :)

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Get her to apply for TRV now, before you get married. Ask for 2-3 week visit. Make sure you have strong proof of her ties to India and don't mention getting married.
Go home, get married have her come for a visit. Once she is here you can apply inland (extend her visa) or outland (apply for OWP) while you wait. Processing is 12 months (average)for both inland and outland.

vishal021

Sep 29, 2015
Thanks @Buletruck! Once she is here on TRV and the time of applying outland, can I also apply for her OWP at the same time? I thought OWP can only be applied while doing inland application.

DaviSP

Dec 7, 2017
According to cic.gc.ca, these are the people who can apply for OWP:
  • Permanent residence applicants who have applied to an office in Canada,
  • Dependent family members of some permanent residence applicants,
  • Spouses and common-law partners of some workers and international students,
  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons and their family members,
  • Some temporary resident permit holders, or
  • Some young workers participating in special programs.
I guess your wife will fit point 3.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
According to cic.gc.ca, these are the people who can apply for OWP:
  • Permanent residence applicants who have applied to an office in Canada,
  • Dependent family members of some permanent residence applicants,
  • Spouses and common-law partners of some workers and international students,
  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons and their family members,
  • Some temporary resident permit holders, or
  • Some young workers participating in special programs.
I guess your wife will fit point 3.
That's not true. The OP is correct about OWP for spouse only available via inland spousal sponsorship.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
My Fault....Typed those two backwards (outland (extend visa)/inland (OWP)....It was early when I typed that......and I have fat fingers....

brille_sky

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Hi Guys,

I recently received my PR and planning to get married soon. My fiance is working in India as a software developer and I was wondering what's the best and quickest way for her to get here in Canada. I was thinking below options but any suggestions or comments are very much appreciated.

option 1) I would go to India next year, get married legally and get marriage certificate. She may apply for study visa and study here, The moment she comes here I would file/Sponsor her PR and submit In-Canada application and by the time she gets an approval, she might work here on Open work permit. However, It would require enrolling in a school here which is expensive and if her application gets refused after two years, I can't make an appeal and resubmit and she would have to leave country.

option 2) I would go to India and marry her legally. I would then apply/sponsor her overseas application and she can work in India by the time she receives PR which is like one year. She can apply for visitor's visa while her PR application is still in progress and visit me here for a month or so. However, she can't work here legally while on visitor's visa. We would have to live separate for more than one year

Also, how much processing time it actually takes for In-Canada and Outside-Canada application for India?

if she could apply for a visitors visa to get to canada and you can get married here in canada,then you can apply for Inland spousal sponsorship with open work permit.. that is the easy way...

brille_sky

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
if she could apply for a visitors visa to get to canada and you can get married here in canada,then you can apply for Inland spousal sponsorship with open work permit.. that is the easy way...
inland and outland is in same timeline processing 12 months max

Rajeshpanyam

Dec 4, 2013
Hi Guys,

How did you proceed then? im also in the same situation and want to get your advise on this.