+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to renew your PR card

EXPRESS000

Aug 25, 2016
I have learnt a lot from this forum,so its time to pay back and share my experience to renew you PR really quick

1-in order to back up your case for renewal or urgent renewal,just put your self in the immigration officer shoes,make a case that is backed up with zero doubt.
My case was literally approved within one days,it took 7 calendar days from date of sending the application to the date of approval.

2-why to wait for RQ questionnaire or more questions from the officer?I have really sent all the available documents that can help the officer make the decision quickly
3-documents that i have sent are the following :
-Passport copies(two passport since i had an expired one)full colored pages
-translation of all the stamps,it costs me 1004 but it totally worth it to assist the officer in understanding your case
-copy of the lease (car,condo...)
-credit card statement( you use your card right?its the most powerful way to show that you were living in canada)
-copy of your T4,copy of the notice of assessment
-utility bills
-any kind of membership hat you have(copy of statement,like gym,club or any membership)

i believe these documents are so powerful to ensure a quick approval to your pr renewal

here is the timeline of my case

We received your application for a permanent resident card on August 16, 2016.
We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 16, 2016.
We started processing your application on August 16, 2016.
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on August 17, 2016. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on August 22, 2016.

Reactions: PHCA

bubulici

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
wow.

was ECAS updating real-time for you? I mean, could you see new line(s) in ECAS on the same date appearing on that line? or did it take days/weeks?

EXPRESS000

Aug 25, 2016
Hi bubulici
No it wasn't in real time,they kept the ECAS( in process ) for the whole time .
I got the PR card in Mail before the ECAS was even changed to decision made.
I should point that my application was an urgent one.
I have written a cover letter,i believe that the cover letter is really crucial its the only way you can communicate with the officer.
so i have explained them exactly what i have done during the last couple of years,where did i work and what i was doing while not working.
I have made a sheet showing all the exit and entry to the states(i went to the states more then 31 times the last 4years).

nhosany

Apr 8, 2015
Hi EXPRESS000
For how long are you actually travelling? I need to travel for 3 days in november to NYC to attend a wedding and thinking of sending for urgent processing. Do you think it is worth it, for 3 days. I have been in the states also some 20 times. So, do you actually attach an a sheet of entry and exits to the US, this would mean that you didnt fill in that part of the form, but you indicate to refer to that sheet?

EXPRESS000

Aug 25, 2016
Hi nhosany
The Pr renewal page has 7 entries i believe for the absence from Canada,in my case i had many more just like you.
So i entered all my absences wth details in the residency calculator ,i have use the calcultor the cic website , google this : Physical Presence Calculator filled the form and printed it
because on this calculator you can write as much as you want ,and i have attached it to my application.
I have clearly explained the situation to the officer through my cover letter.
I'm traveling for few days as well back home,get your urgent renewal,nothing to lose,make sure you attach your tickets and credit card statement showing that you really paid for your tickets.

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
EXPRESS000 said:
I have learnt a lot from this forum,so its time to pay back and share my experience to renew you PR really quick

1-in order to back up your case for renewal or urgent renewal,just put your self in the immigration officer shoes,make a case that is backed up with zero doubt.
My case was literally approved within one days,it took 7 calendar days from date of sending the application to the date of approval.

2-why to wait for RQ questionnaire or more questions from the officer?I have really sent all the available documents that can help the officer make the decision quickly
-translation of all the stamps,it costs me 1004 but it totally worth it to assist the officer in understanding your case
-credit card statement( you use your card right?its the most powerful way to show that you were living in canada)
-utility bills
-any kind of membership hat you have(copy of statement,like gym,club or any membership)

Need your advice. Unfortunately not everyones case is so easy to explain. I've been PR since 2005. My last PR was renewed in 2011 as it expired in 2010 and I was in India. My mother has been suffering from liver cirrhosis and i end up spending lot of time india. now i have an indian wife and a daughter who live with my family there. Neither my wife nor my family want to Move to Canada.
Anyway due to the above factors I got my PR Renewed in 2011. Came to india in 2013 for a month to get married and than again came back to Canada. I again Left in july 2014 and have been here since. Now my PR card is valid till end of November and I'm planing to travel there by end of this month or first week october about 2 months before the expiry. I have few questions if you can advice me.

Will i be stopped at border for my absence or will i be able to enter considering my PR Card is still valid.
Whats best way to enter with least hassles Airport or Road via US?
Once in how to get my PR Renewed urgently. I have no canadian Credit Card. I do have a bank account which would show transactions till july 2014. but since i'm earning in Cash transactions are far n few but they should be there till july. My Taxes too are paid till 2014 and NOA does show i was out of canada post 10th july my accountant put it there.

please advice

EXPRESS000

Aug 25, 2016
HI SayaDil
Will i be stopped at border for my absence or will i be able to enter considering my PR Card is still valid.
NO you will not be stopped,since you can enter with your valid PR till the last day of its validity(personal experience)

I have tried the border from windsor and sarnia,very helpful and freindly,they shouldnt have any issues since you have your PR and nothing is wrong
Once in how to get my PR Renewed urgently. I have no Canadian Credit Card. I do have a bank account which would show transactions till July 2014. but since i'm earning in Cash transactions are far n few but they should be there till july. My Taxes too are paid till 2014 and NOA does show i was out of canada post 10th july my accountant put it there.

File your taxes asap,pay your dues and make sure you disclose all those cash earning,they will benefit you.
why do you need urgent PR card?any valid reason?

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
EXPRESS000 said:
HI SayaDil
NO you will not be stopped,since you can enter with your valid PR till the last day of its validity(personal experience)

I have tried the border from windsor and sarnia,very helpful and freindly,they shouldnt have any issues since you have your PR and nothing is wrong
Once in how to get my PR Renewed urgently. I have no Canadian Credit Card. I do have a bank account which would show transactions till July 2014. but since i'm earning in Cash transactions are far n few but they should be there till july. My Taxes too are paid till 2014 and NOA does show i was out of canada post 10th july my accountant put it there.

File your taxes asap,pay your dues and make sure you disclose all those cash earning,they will benefit you.
why do you need urgent PR card?any valid reason?

I have filed taxes till july 2014 when i left canada. I can file again once I'm back this year i will only be working two months before the year ends. but will file this year taxes as well. Need PR urgently as i again have to travel to US for a month and by time i come back PR would technically expire and troubles will start.

Someone wrote somewhere else on this Site. that CIC will stop u anytime u enter canada after long absence.

so you suggest entering via car? through windsor... rather than airport...

also wanted to know if they do stop you for questioning of your absence and for some strange reasons and lack of proof of stay by me as I'm not carrying many documents will they revoke the card right away or are you still allowed in???

jaraMiguel

Feb 2, 2011
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
CANADIAN EMBASSY-MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My PR Card expired last March 17th, submitted my application for renewal last March 13th. I wasn't planning to leave Canada any time soon, until a few days after submitting my application my 17yr old son came to me telling me about his dance competition in China this May 5th.

Should I book the flight, pay the tickets, and re-submit my application as URGENT? I'm scared we won't get the cards on time. PRTD in China takes about a month to process, and we're only staying there for the duration of the competition which is a week.

We were only out of Canada for 37 days (vacation) for the last 5 years.

What do you think are my chances??? :-[

I don't want my son to miss this opportunity to compete internationally. :(

This is giving me major anxiety!!!! :-X :'( :eek:

...oh, and I still have to apply for Chinese visa! :'(

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unfortunately, I doubt they will process your renewal for urgent processing. They have recently changed what they will consider the conditions for urgent renewal and I doubt a dance competition will meet the requirements.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-urgent-processing.asp

jaraMiguel

Feb 2, 2011
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
CANADIAN EMBASSY-MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Buletruck said:
Unfortunately, I doubt they will process your renewal for urgent processing. They have recently changed what they will consider the conditions for urgent renewal and I doubt a dance competition will meet the requirements.
That sucks... he's group was invited to perform and compete. :'(

RW

Jul 20, 2013
EXPRESS000 said:

-utility bills

i believe these documents are so powerful to ensure a quick approval to your pr renewal

We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on August 16, 2016.
Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on August 17, 2016. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.
Hi
Your post was very helpful.I will be leaving Canada a month after completing the mandatory 730 day period for PR renewal.My card expires in oct 2018.If I come back to Canada three months before the expiration date what documents will I need to submit along with the PR application .Will I be asked to give the travel history as well.Also should I take records from the family doctor as well as I dont intend to come back to the same province.
Thank you

jaraMiguel

Feb 2, 2011
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
CANADIAN EMBASSY-MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi again! So, yeah, I risked and tried sending an URGENT application for our PR Card renewal. It took the Case Processing Center exactly 5 days (from receipt of our application to mailing the PR cards back to me). I received them in the mail today.

I thought I'd share my story:

My PR card and my son's expired last March 17th. I applied for renewal last March 13. I didn't apply right away since I didn't have any plans to leave Canada and we might apply for citizenship this year. But a few days after mailing my application, my 17 year old son came to me with the news that his dance team was invited to perform and compete in China on May 5th. It worried me because PR card renewal may take months to process. My last resort is to buy plane tickets, and risk applying for urgent renewal. I tried to look online as to how long urgent processing would take, but I couldn't find any direct answers. Somehow this thread topic/post gave me hope. And I also talked to my travel agent about their experiences with clients needing urgent renewal of PR card. They said most of their clients get it in a month's time... so I have time!

Here's what I included in my urgent application (for both me and my son):

1. completely signed pr card renewal application
2. two passport size photos
3. photocopy of passport (colored pages)
4. photocopy of old passport (colored pages and the page with single entry Canadian Visa)
5. photocopy of landing paper
6. photocopy of expired pr card
7. photocopy of birth certificate of my son (since he is still under 18)
8. photocopy of school report cards of my son
9. copy of invitation from China
10. letter from my son's dance team director explaining my son's need to renew his pr card urgently
11. copy of my son's competition schedule in the city (to show that he needs to be back in Canada at a certain date)
12. copy of plane ticket and itinerary
13. cover letter (from me) explaining our situation

I mailed the application via courier (UPS), so I can track it. I put large label on the front and back of the envelop that says "URGENT! PROOF OF TRAVEL INCLUDED!"

I mailed it last MARCH 23, and here's what my online status says:

1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on March 27, 2017.
2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on March 28, 2017. (<-----They will email you, so don't forget to include your email in your application)
3. We started processing your application on March 28, 2017.
4. We sent you correspondence on March 28, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
5. Your Permanent Resident card was sent by mail on March 31, 2017.

I received the renewed PR cards today (APRIL 6) in the mail.

We were only out of Canada for 37 days, since we came here... I don't know if that helps in the processing.

And I think it also depends on the reason of urgency and the proof that you will provide. I have friends who applied for urgent processing, although they included travel docs but their reason is "family vacation", their pr card were processed for 3 months.

Reactions: PHCA

taco123

Apr 9, 2017
Hello Express000,

Could you please express what was your urgent situation?

-utility bills

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........

-utility bills

Hi @EXPRESS000 awesome post and congrats on an amazing timeline for PR renewal! And I totally agree - My immigration consultant said the same thing. Don't wait for immigration officers' request for additional documents. Provide all supporting documents and evidences that can help them see that you have been residing in Canada for at least 2yrs.

I just have a couple of questions regarding your application.
1. What was your reason for urgent application and what did you put in your cover letter and proof of urgency?
2. Translation of all stamps - stamps from the past 5 years only or literally ALL stamps in your passport? I only travelled to US and Japan for the past 5 years. Do I only need translation for my Japan stamps in case they are not in English (cos I think it is in English)

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon!

Reactions: xmahmood