+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best Way to Proceed?

dnwg

May 10, 2007
My son, a Canadian citizen, lives in Panama with his Panamanian common-law wife. He has been accepted into grad school in Canada for September. (1) What is the best way for her to get a visa to accompany him? If she applies for PR through Guatemala, it will apparently take at least 6 months. (2) If she applies now for PR, can she apply for a temporary visa while the PR application is pending? (3) Would it be possible for her to enter Canada on a temporary visa and then apply for PR once she is there? (4) If she enters on a temporary visa, how hard will it be for her to extend the visa if the PR status is not obtained within the 6 months? (5) If she enters on a temporary visa, will she have to return to Guatemala City for an interview and, if so, might she then have to wait down there for a decision?
Thank you very much for any advice you can provide.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dnwg said:
My son, a Canadian citizen, lives in Panama with his Panamanian common-law wife. He has been accepted into grad school in Canada for September. (1) What is the best way for her to get a visa to accompany him? If she applies for PR through Guatemala, it will apparently take at least 6 months. (2) If she applies now for PR, can she apply for a temporary visa while the PR application is pending? (3) Would it be possible for her to enter Canada on a temporary visa and then apply for PR once she is there? (4) If she enters on a temporary visa, how hard will it be for her to extend the visa if the PR status is not obtained within the 6 months? (5) If she enters on a temporary visa, will she have to return to Guatemala City for an interview and, if so, might she then have to wait down there for a decision?
Thank you very much for any advice you can provide.
1. It is very unlikely that your son will be able to get a TRV for his c/law wife. As TRV (visitors) are for those intention is to leave Canada after their visit, the wife's intention is to remain permanently. She can apply, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
2. Your son should start the process now, as the processing will take 1 month in Mississauga for the sponsorship to be either approved or refused. Then there is the 7-15 months processing in Guatemala City for the application. Don't forget it will take a while to get the proof of the relationship/police certificates/medical exam done prior to submitting the sponsorship to Mississauga.
3. See:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/05-fc-spouses.html#west for the processing times.
4. Your son will have to include a statement with the sponsorship as to his plans as to work/school/residence in Canada once his spouse is issued a visa.

PMM