+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to move to Canada

mrsheri

Nov 15, 2017
Hi Guys...I'm a newbie here, and sorry if this was asked/answered before, and appreciate if you can share those posts if any.

I'm on H1 in USA for few years, and want to move to Canada for few reasons. I ran CRS to see my score and its below 400, so I guess I'm not going to eligible under Express Entry. I dont mind studying in Canada. I'm happy to start a business but no lavish investment. So, here I'm with questions.

1. Whats the best way to move to Canada in this situation
2. What are reasonable universities/collecges, I should take a look at, and what times of the year
3. If I'm on a student visa there, can I quit it and change status to work permit? Is it common?
4. If not study, express entry, huge investment, what other ways can I explore?
5. when will I get PR if I'm coming there on student visa?
6. On student visa, how many hours can I work, a week? whats average pay rate?
7. On student visa, can my spouse work? if so, are there any time, employment restrictions?
8. How different is the schooling between US and Canada? Elementary and Middle schools

I'm very sorry for many questions, but I'm a kind of in need to understand and decide quickly. Greatly appreciate any responses.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Research the Provincial Nomination Programs if you don't have enough points for Express Entry. Immigrating through starting a business is only feasible if you have several hundred thousand dollars to invest in a business in Canada (and in some cases you need over a million).
2. You'll need to spend time researching schools and programs (or hire a consultant to do this work for you). Whatever you take in Canada must make sense in light of your previous education and work experience or you can expect the study permit to be refused. Expect to pay at least $15K annually in tuition for college - more for university. Living expenses will be extra on top of tuition.
3. Extremely difficult to secure a job offer and LMIA. Assume it won't be possible.
4. See #1
5. Depends if and when you qualify. Typically several years after you finish your program. Some are never successful.
6. 20 hours off campus. Minimum wage. Expect it to cover some of your living expenses (but certainly not all). It won't cover tuition.
7. Your spouse can apply for an open work permit but approval isn't guaranteed (some are approved and some are refused). If approved, no limit on hours worked.

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

mrsheri

Nov 15, 2017
@scylla Just a perfect response. Thank you so much. I think I'm not for study anymore and would avoid it if there is an alternative. I like the idea of provincial nomination but I hardly had positive experience with my research. If you know provinces that have open/general category PN offerings, I would be happy to know.

oh on #3 above, did you mean we cannot change status from student to work? Appreciate if you can elaborate.

thanks a lot again.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can change your status from student visa to work permit if you are able to secure a full time job offer and your employer is able to obtain an approved LMIA. However it's next to impossible to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process. It's long (4-6 months), expensive, has no guarantee of approval and requires them to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. So you should assume it won't be possible.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Hi Guys...I'm a newbie here, and sorry if this was asked/answered before, and appreciate if you can share those posts if any.

I'm on H1 in USA for few years, and want to move to Canada for few reasons. I ran CRS to see my score and its below 400, so I guess I'm not going to eligible under Express Entry. I dont mind studying in Canada. I'm happy to start a business but no lavish investment. So, here I'm with questions.

1. Whats the best way to move to Canada in this situation
2. What are reasonable universities/collecges, I should take a look at, and what times of the year
3. If I'm on a student visa there, can I quit it and change status to work permit? Is it common?
4. If not study, express entry, huge investment, what other ways can I explore?
5. when will I get PR if I'm coming there on student visa?
6. On student visa, how many hours can I work, a week? whats average pay rate?
7. On student visa, can my spouse work? if so, are there any time, employment restrictions?
8. How different is the schooling between US and Canada? Elementary and Middle schools

I'm very sorry for many questions, but I'm a kind of in need to understand and decide quickly. Greatly appreciate any responses.

Just curious, whats your education level, work ex and IELTS score? Many people underestimate their CRS score by forgetting the multiplier points.

Reactions: scylla

mrsheri

Nov 15, 2017
You can change your status from student visa to work permit if you are able to secure a full time job offer and your employer is able to obtain an approved LMIA. However it's next to impossible to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process. It's long (4-6 months), expensive, has no guarantee of approval and requires them to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. So you should assume it won't be possible.
Thank you, that clarifies.

mrsheri

Nov 15, 2017
Just curious, whats your education level, work ex and IELTS score? Many people underestimate their CRS score by forgetting the multiplier points.
I have Masters, 10+ yrs of experience, 7.5 ielts. Listening IELTS seems to be crucial, band 8 bumps the CRS score to 400+ for my situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just tried but no luck. Any idea how I can get provincial nominations? the province thats immigrant friendly? I have small business plans with a very minimal investment. Appreciate your help!
There's really no short cut to spending time researching the Provincial Nominee programs. You can find links to detailed program information here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/index.asp

If you don't have time to complete this research yourself, the best option would be to hire an immigration consultant or lawyer.