+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to enter Canada when not meeting residency obligation

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tom94063 said:
1. Has he reported me? He did not ask me sign anything, or didn't give me a paper or ask for my passport. I am a bit worried since he said he was going to do something about me like "make a note on the file or put my name on the file" and said I'd lose PR.

2. As soon as I got a place to live I applied for health care card, driver's license and opened bank accounts. But I am still waiting in the mail. I already got SIN since my first landing. What are the other things that should be done before PR card expiration? Of course I need to get a job, but either before or after should be ok right?

3. I know I should stay 2 years straight without leaving and apply for new PR card. But still curious, what would happen if I leave and come back again? Would they report me for sure, (if they haven't done it last time)?
1. If they didn't give you any paperwork, then they did not report you. You can however be sure that they put a note on your file.

2. You could go to Service Canada and ask if your SIN is still active. However, it is usually 5 years of non-use before they become dormant so I suppose it is still active. If not, you would have to apply to re-activate it.

3. You want to play with fire, do you? If they put a note on your file, it is almost certain that you would be reported if you re-enter again in the next 2 years. The note on your file will pop up on their screen and they will know that although they gave you a chance by not reporting you, you blew that chance by leaving again so if you thought they were strict now, try them after that.

tom94063

May 1, 2013
Thanks for that Leon :D
For no.2, I will go to Service Canada to find out if it is still active. But if it is active, how do I use SIN to keep it active and not going to become dormant after my PR card expires? One thing is to get a job and employer will ask for SIN for tax purposes, right? Apply for credit card will help?, or any other ways?
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tom94063 said:
For no.2, I will go to Service Canada to find out if it is still active. But if it is active, how do I use SIN to keep it active and not going to become dormant after my PR card expires? One thing is to get a job and employer will ask for SIN for tax purposes, right? Apply for credit card will help?, or any other ways?
Thanks
You keep it active if you file your taxes every year, even if you don't have an income.

Reactions: sharedknowledge

mono_co

Nov 3, 2014
tom94063 said:
Thanks
What is the current status of yours? How the things did go?

jssandhu

Oct 22, 2014
you not received any mail from july 2014 till date so are lucky.be happy .do work freely.you explained very well about your situation at airport.It means persons which are under breach of RO and using kiosk at entry airport ,we can not say that such peoples(under RO breach) are safe.Which air port you enterted.Live 2 years straight and then apply for pr renewal after 2 years and 1 month.

moonlight86

Oct 17, 2017
Hi
Now I am in Canada. I came back to report what I experienced at the airport. I also have some questions as well since I am not sure if I will lose PR.

After more than 4 years away from Canada, I arrived by plane last month. I used self-serve machine to swipe my PR card and passport. All seemed ok until I got my luggage from the belt and ready to go to custom. The officer came straight to me and called my name. Now I knew I have triggered them and that I was in trouble. Without me saying a word, he told me I was in Canada for xxx days and asked me what happened. (He was very tough). I explained my situation but it wasn't accepted. He said I am going to lose PR because I have less than 1 year left till PR card expiration and I won't be able to meet 2 years obligation by the time PR card expires. And he wrote something, probably my name on his piece of paper and said he was going to "put my name on the file", or something. I don't remember exact words. Then he went to another person. My questions:

1. Has he reported me? He did not ask me sign anything, or didn't give me a paper or ask for my passport. I am a bit worried since he said he was going to do something about me like "make a note on the file or put my name on the file" and said I'd lose PR.

2. As soon as I got a place to live I applied for health care card, driver's license and opened bank accounts. But I am still waiting in the mail. I already got SIN since my first landing. What are the other things that should be done before PR card expiration? Of course I need to get a job, but either before or after should be ok right?

3. I know I should stay 2 years straight without leaving and apply for new PR card. But still curious, what would happen if I leave and come back again? Would they report me for sure, (if they haven't done it last time)?

Thanks
Hi, I have a very similar situation like you. I was wondering if you could explain more what happened in the airport when you landed. When you used the self-service machine and you scanned your PR and declaration card, does that mean there is no human check by any officers after that? Or do you still have to give your documents to an officer to double check? Also if someone has a US passport and scan that using a self-service check machine, does that flag the fact you have a PR too? I'd appreciate if someone can elaborate more...Thanks!

rajsri

Aug 25, 2013
Hi
Now I am in Canada. I came back to report what I experienced at the airport. I also have some questions as well since I am not sure if I will lose PR.

After more than 4 years away from Canada, I arrived by plane last month. I used self-serve machine to swipe my PR card and passport. All seemed ok until I got my luggage from the belt and ready to go to custom. The officer came straight to me and called my name. Now I knew I have triggered them and that I was in trouble. Without me saying a word, he told me I was in Canada for xxx days and asked me what happened. (He was very tough). I explained my situation but it wasn't accepted. He said I am going to lose PR because I have less than 1 year left till PR card expiration and I won't be able to meet 2 years obligation by the time PR card expires. And he wrote something, probably my name on his piece of paper and said he was going to "put my name on the file", or something. I don't remember exact words. Then he went to another person. My questions:

Thanks
Hi.. Can you please let me know the current status?. Did you manage to get your 2nd Kid to Canada?