+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best way to apply for Work Permit?

movetocanada5634

Mar 3, 2015
My partner is an essential worker (Doctor) and has a job offer from a hospital in Canada along with and LMIA and is preparing to apply for a work permit. I have an offer from my current employer for a job in Canada so I need to apply for a Intra Company Transfer Work Permit. Do we need to apply together on the same application (if this is possible)? Or do we apply separately and name each other as a spouse on our application? Really confused about the best way to do this. Will they process our applications at the same time? Or will they be treated completely separately?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My partner is an essential worker (Doctor) and has a job offer from a hospital in Canada along with and LMIA and is preparing to apply for a work permit. I have an offer from my current employer for a job in Canada so I need to apply for a Intra Company Transfer Work Permit. Do we need to apply together on the same application (if this is possible)? Or do we apply separately and name each other as a spouse on our application? Really confused about the best way to do this. Will they process our applications at the same time? Or will they be treated completely separately?
You can apply for an OWP with your spouse. Is your employer located in the same place as where your spouse will be working as a physician?

movetocanada5634

Mar 3, 2015
You can apply for an OWP with your spouse. Is your employer located in the same place as where your spouse will be working as a physician?
I thought about the OWP but I thought the ICT would be faster? Do you know if they would process the OWP at the same time as they process her work permit? My employer is in the same City.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought about the OWP but I thought the ICT would be faster? Do you know if they would process the OWP at the same time as they process her work permit? My employer is in the same City.
Hard to know which one will be faster. The OWP is dependent on the closed work approval so one is dependent on the other one getting approved. Does your job qualify for ICT?

movetocanada5634

Mar 3, 2015
Hard to know which one will be faster. The OWP is dependent on the closed work approval so one is dependent on the other one getting approved. Does your job qualify for ICT?
Yes it should do. I'm a Software Development Manager so I'm pretty sure that should be covered. There didn't seem to be an option to apply together with her as the primary applicant with the LMIA and me as a spouse with an ICT. The only way to do that seemed to be the other way round with me as the primary applicant so not sure if that would just slow it down as I'm not an essential worker.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes it should do. I'm a Software Development Manager so I'm pretty sure that should be covered. There didn't seem to be an option to apply together with her as the primary applicant with the LMIA and me as a spouse with an ICT. The only way to do that seemed to be the other way round with me as the primary applicant so not sure if that would just slow it down as I'm not an essential worker.
Think ICT is probably a better option if your employer is willing to go through the process. Your job is likely to be considered GSS.

movetocanada5634

Mar 3, 2015
Think ICT is probably a better option if your employer is willing to go through the process. Your job is likely to be considered GSS.
Yeah that was my thinking. I filled out all the application forms but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to apply specifically for GSS. How do you apply under GSS? Or is this done automatically based on your job NOC category?