+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for a work permit within Canada

Youthberry

May 12, 2016
Hello guys,

I am on a visitor record, which lasts for 6 months and is also in the EE pool. I will receive a job offer when receiving a positive LMIA.

My questions are:
If I get a positive LMIA, can I apply for a work permit within Canada? Do I apply under work permit extension (new employer) category or new work permit category?

I saw that only in certain circumstances a visitor is allowed to apply for a work permit within Canada. For candidates who have passed the first stage of PR application, they are allowed to apply within the country. Does this mean that I have to submit my PR application with a positive LMIA and wait for AOR before I apply for a work permit?

Please help!
Thank you :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys,

I am on a visitor record, which lasts for 6 months and is also in the EE pool. I will receive a job offer when receiving a positive LMIA.

My questions are:
If I get a positive LMIA, can I apply for a work permit within Canada? Do I apply under work permit extension (new employer) category or new work permit category?

I saw that only in certain circumstances a visitor is allowed to apply for a work permit within Canada. For candidates who have passed the first stage of PR application, they are allowed to apply within the country. Does this mean that I have to submit my PR application with a positive LMIA and wait for AOR before I apply for a work permit?

Please help!
Thank you :)
Yes - you can apply for a work permit from within Canada. You would be apply for a new work permit. Extensions are for individuals who currently hold valid work permits.

No - you do not have to wait until you have submitted your PR application to apply. I think you are confusing rules and read the rules regarding bridging open work permits.

Youthberry

May 12, 2016
Yes - you can apply for a work permit from within Canada. You would be apply for a new work permit. Extensions are for individuals who currently hold valid work permits.

No - you do not have to wait until you have submitted your PR application to apply. I think you are confusing rules and read the rules regarding bridging open work permits.

When I tried to use the online system to check my eligibility, it showed:

"We used your answers to see if you may qualify for any of Canada's primary immigration programs. Based on your answers, it appears that you are not eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time under a federal program.

It is possible that a change in your situation could make you eligible (for instance, if you want to study in Canada you may become eligible if you are accepted into a study program). Your specific situation may alter your results.

You can find out more about requirements for studying, working or visiting Canada on this website temporarily......."

I selected work temporarily-more than 6 months. It gave me this message. I am very confused.