waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
hi to all,

when would be the best time to apply for a new LMO? my current WP is valid until October 2010. thanks!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
reddeerrebel said:
hi to all,

when would be the best time to apply for a new LMO? my current WP is valid until October 2010. thanks!
Your employer has to advertise for the position at the national job bank and another website or major daily for 14 days to show proof of efforts to recruit Canadian citizens or permanent residents. If no CC or PR applied or qualified for the position, then your employer can apply for LMO in your favor. LMO app takes about 6 weeks. WP application for same employer takes 47 days. So that is roughly 4 months.

Anil_Toronto

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009 (Nova Scotia - Centralised Intake Office)
AOR Received.
14-01-2010 (at Buffalo)
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Request
11-08-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Done....
12-08-2010 (Toronto)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
reddeerrebel said:
hi to all,

I am a foreign worker too and on a work permit; it expires aug 2010. This was after my employer got a positive LMO 2 years ago. Apparently this time the LMO got cancelled...the current response time is around 3 weeks provided your employer has posted the ad about the position already - the job posting should be up on websites for atleast 14 days. So after the 14 days of posting a job, your employer can apply for a LMO for you and that would take about 3 weeks; they might call your employer asking to send a copy of your current work permit and so on but that's a normal process.

You should consider applying a few months in advance; just incase the application gets rejected. Applying early would give you/ your employer another chance to re-apply if the case maybe. I am waiting for a few weeks and would ask my employer to re-apply after making a few changes in the job offer.

Good luck in your application!!

reddeerrebel

Feb 10, 2010
AB, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
waiting
Med's Done....
waiting
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
thank you so much

i will be talking to him soon.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Two years ago.....Canada was short of workers and to obtain an LMO, especially in certain Provinces, was reasonably easy.

Unfortunately, the World recession became a reality and Canada, along with most Western Countries, found that the unemployment of Canadian Citizens and PR's increased dramatically. Thus, although LMO's are still being issued, it is by far harder to obtain a positive one at this moment.

You may well have been doing the job for two years, but as PMM stated on another thread about LMO's, your employer should have, in the two years you were working, employed and trained a citizen or PR for the job.

Unless the skill level of your job is high and there is a National shortage of workers in your job expertise, there is a very good chance that a new LMO will not be issued. Make sure your employer advertises both locally and Nationally. Make sure the adverts are paid adverts to prove the Employer is serious about finding a Canadian for the job. Make sure your employer also gives a deatailed explanation about why they havn't employed a Canadian and trained them to do the job during the two years you have been working temporary for them.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but your employer really has to prove conclusively that there is no alternative but to hire you.

Good luck.

reddeerrebel

Feb 10, 2010
AB, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
waiting
Med's Done....
waiting
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
thank you so much for the insight. i have heard a lot of sad stories told, but im still hoping for the best and is expecting for the worst.

quick question though, if you apply for a work permit inside canada, do you get 1 year only? many thanks again!

Anil_Toronto

Star Member
May 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2009 (Nova Scotia - Centralised Intake Office)
AOR Received.
14-01-2010 (at Buffalo)
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Request
11-08-2010 (NY Visa office)
Med's Done....
12-08-2010 (Toronto)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2011
LANDED..........
11-03-2011
For a foreign worker - Work permit depends on the LMO application. There is a section where the employer states how long it wishes to hire the foreign worker for. For example if the employer puts 2 years and its a positive LMO, CIC will issue a 2 years work permit.

For students its based on the length of the study. 1 year post grad students qualify for 1 year open work permit (same length as of the course). Students pursuing 2 years or more get a 3 year open work permit.

reddeerrebel

Feb 10, 2010
AB, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
waiting
Med's Done....
waiting
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
thank you for your reply!

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
Anil_Toronto said:
For a foreign worker - Work permit depends on the LMO application. There is a section where the employer states how long it wishes to hire the foreign worker for. For example if the employer puts 2 years and its a positive LMO, CIC will issue a 2 years work permit.

For students its based on the length of the study. 1 year post grad students qualify for 1 year open work permit (same length as of the course). Students pursuing 2 years or more get a 3 year open work permit.
Not any more I am afraid, most LMO's are only issued for a period of 6 months, especially if the job is semi or low skilled. What ever contract the employer gives, it is up to Service Canada first, to issue the time line, then immigration.

So, for example, an employer gives a 2 year contract, Service Canada gives a 1 year LMO, the IO dealing with the case gives a 6 months WP visa.

Unfortunately, right no, at this time, it is all if's and but's......just keep your fingers crossed everyone dealing with the WP visa application is having a good day....ha ha ha