+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best resource for Canadian citizenship test

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
Only those who wrote the test can answer, please those who did not write the test, please do not answer this question

Other than knowledge of canada book, what else one can read?, what resources

Wshaduca

Nov 15, 2013
Desert Lion said:
Only those who wrote the test can answer, please those who did not write the test, please do not answer this question

if you want to spend a but of your bucks I would recommend citizenshipsupport.ca. That's where i reviewed. I passed the test 20/20. Good thing with this revieweris you can
listen to it and do the practice test after each chapter.

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Desert Lion said:

That's all you need...make a list of important historical dates, make a diagram of how the federal government is organized and who is who, learn the national symbols, the rights and duties of Canadian citizens, that should do, get a highlighter and go through the booklet...the test is not a doctoral dissertation it's only 20 questions and you must pass 16. I studied three days before the test and got 20/20. There are also several free apps with questions to practice

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Desert Lion said:

1. Go to your local library and ask the librarian to provide you with the resources (they are aware of those resources).
2. Practice as much as you can with the online tests at CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/games/how/index.asp?utm_source=slash-canadian2&utm_medium=short-url&utm_campaign=articles. They have smartphone apps for you to practice in bed as well.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Empirical-Scientist said:
1. Go to your local library and ask the librarian to provide you with the resources (they are aware of those resources).
2. Practice as much as you can with the online tests at CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/games/how/index.asp?utm_source=slash-canadian2&utm_medium=short-url&utm_campaign=articles. They have smartphone apps for you to practice in bed as well.
One of the best tests is the following free one: http://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FL1040 said:
That's all you need...make a list of important historical dates, make a diagram of how the federal government is organized and who is who, learn the national symbols, the rights and duties of Canadian citizens, that should do, get a highlighter and go through the booklet...the test is not a doctoral dissertation it's only 20 questions and you must pass 16. I studied three days before the test and got 20/20. There are also several free apps with questions to practice
As mentioned, there are a number of free quizzes and practice tests available online including those from public libraries. Just search for "canadian citizenship test". I particularly found this following one useful as it has multiple practice tests:
http://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/

As mentioned by FL1040, the booklet sent by CIC is suffice. Everyone has a different way of learning so try different ways to remember things like taking notes, underlining/highlighting, creating diagrams.

It helps to take a few practice test off the bat even prior to reading the whole CIC booklet. I've use this approach to see how much I already knew and identify my weak areas. That way, I can pay particular focus on those areas I've gotten wrong in the test when I study the CIC booklet.

Get the CIC booklet app on your phone or mobile device and do bite size studies on your sparetime. I did minireviews while I'm riding the subway for example.

Then return to the practice tests another time and reidentify weak points.

And when you read the booklet, think of it as not a chore or homework. It should be more of enlightening experience and an opportunity to put your own citizenship into perspective.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Read the book, there are many free online practice test, you don't have to pay for that citizenshipsupport.ca (waste of money for me)
The actual test is super easy ;)

kslade

Aug 6, 2014
I am late to this thread, but I have been following this forum and I had a lot of help so far, so I decided to write our experience. My wife and I went through both free and paid resources for the Citizenship Test.

My wife read the Discover Canada guide 5-6 times and did the practice questions from http://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/. She passed with 17/20. She said the questions were similar to what she saw on that site, but it would be impossible to pass the test without reading and memorizing the Discover Canada.

I actually didn't have time to read the Discover Canada since I received my test notice 1 week ahead of time (and I was on a business trip), so I purchased a summary guide from http://canadiancitizenshipguide.com. They provide a summary of Discover Canada, which is much shorter than the actual book itself. If you guys remember your university/college years, you'd remember studying to finals from the summary guides others have prepared. This was like that. Plus they give you 50-60 test questions, which they claim to be actual citizenship test questions (to be fair, in my case, 12 or 13 questions from their practice test appeared in my citizenship test). In summary, I can recommend this site if you don't have time to study or if you don't want to memorize Discover Canada.

A couple of my friends recommended the resources and practice tests in libraries (as stated above by others). I've looked at them as well but I think the practice tests require too much research (most of them were not multiple choice)

Hope this helps...

kslade

Aug 6, 2014
I'm going to add one more thing for the future candidates.

Some people have commented that the test is easy. Yes, the test is easy, IF you know Discover Canada very well.

Each test has different questions, so your questions will definitely be different from what others have received. Plus, each test contains 5 to 10 trick questions (by trick questions, I mean the type of questions that can only be answered by knowledge, such as "how many electoral districts does Canada have?")

The passing mark is 15 out of 20, and if you miss 6 questions, you need to take the test again. I advise everyone to take this test seriously, as we waited for so long to get to this point.

When my wife got out of the test, she swore that she did 20/20, but during the interview they told her that she got 17/20 (they didn't tell her which questions she got wrong). So even if you study well, you can miss the trick questions.

Good luck to everyone!

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Study Guide provided at no cost, is the BEST resource available. PERIOD. It's a VERY short read and one can read everything in a couple of hours.

The citizenship quiz available for FREE at the Richmond Public Library website, is also another great resource.

Do not spend any more money than you should.

Take the time to learn about the country you are trying to become a citizen of.

kslade

Aug 6, 2014
The study guide is provided for free, and it is a great resource, however I have to disagree that it's a short read. It's about 60 pages, and there are many details to remember, such as places, dates, important names etc. I'll read it once or twice for sure, but don't expect me to memorize the insignificant battles that happened over centuries ago. NO Canadian I asked were able to answer citizenship test questions anyways. Most people wait too long to get their citizenship, and failing the test will only extend their waiting time. The test is more difficult now, compared to the previous years, and again, just because someone got "easy" questions doesn't mean that you'll get them as well.

I guess everyone needs to wait and see, but there are very useful free and paid resources available online, and I suggest everyone to do their own research and pick the resources that they think will be helpful to them.

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. I personally do not consider 60 pages a long read, but that's just me, an avid reader.

Test takers are not tested on dates, or any minor historical facts. Those are mostly there so that the potential citizen learns how this amazing country came to be.

And, yes, if you have money and are willing to pay for extra resources good for you; go ahead and buy them all. :)

cuds

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I did NOT find the test easy ... I read the book twice, and did the (free) online tests multiple times.

Was it hard? No, it is not rocket science but I def expected it to be easier then it was.

kslade

Aug 6, 2014
boasorte said:
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. I personally do not consider 60 pages a long read, but that's just me, an avid reader.

Test takers are not tested on dates, or any minor historical facts. Those are mostly there so that the potential citizen learns how this amazing country came to be.

And, yes, if you have money and are willing to pay for extra resources good for you; go ahead and buy them all. :)
I had 3 questions related to specific dates. One was asking for the year of an important event, the other two were asking about the day/month of important occurrences. Everything in Discover Canada is asked, it's just that everybody receives different set of questions.