+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best option for PR in the future

markaan

May 18, 2021
Hello everyone,
I need some suggestions for future decision.
Currently my profile is:
Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 2 Years approx

Which of the two options do you think is the best:
  1. I have received a prestigious scholarship from UK for masters (1 year). After that I can get one more year of experience and scoring good on IELTS would put me around 475 CRS 2 years from now.
  2. Second option is to go for masters on my own funding from Canada. I might get an admission in University of Manitoba and complete my masters in two years. One year intl. experience + Canadian masters with good IELTS would put me around 480 points 30 months from now.

Second option would be safer but would cost money.
I am really confused and any suggestion would be appreciated.

dankboi

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2021
London, United Kingdom
Category........
FSW
Nobody knows about the future of Canadian Immigration. It's a better option to come to the UK now, since brexit opportunities are now fair to all folks. The EU students are not considering the UK for studies because of the tuition expenses which the NON-EU students were paying for years. Brexit lol .
The guaranteed fact is if anyone could find a work in the UK, then they're settled with a PR. The UK PR isn't a privilege. It goes to those who deserve it.
Long live the Queen

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,
Currently my profile is:

1. I have received a prestigious scholarship from UK for masters (1 year). After that I can get one more year of experience and scoring good on IELTS would put me around 475 CRS 2 years from now.
  2. Second option is to go for masters on my own funding from Canada. I might get an admission in University of Manitoba and complete my masters in two years. One year intl. experience + Canadian masters with good IELTS would put me around 480 points 30 months from now.

There are fairly strong indications that the Express Entry program is going to change. No one knows what this means. It could mean that the system changes back to a NOC specific list (like it was pre-2015). Or maybe not. What it takes to qualify and be selected now may not be true six months from now. So I would be careful making the assumption that the current rules will stay.

I would personally make the best decision for your education.

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
Hello everyone,
Currently my profile is:

If you are admitted to the University of Manitoba, have you checked whether you might qualify for scholarships or bursaries?
Here is some information from the university website.
https://umanitoba.ca/graduate-studies/funding-awards-and-financial-aid

markaan

May 18, 2021
Nobody knows about the future of Canadian Immigration. It's a better option to come to the UK now, since brexit opportunities are now fair to all folks. The EU students are not considering the UK for studies because of the tuition expenses which the NON-EU students were paying for years. Brexit lol .
The guaranteed fact is if anyone could find a work in the UK, then they're settled with a PR. The UK PR isn't a privilege. It goes to those who deserve it.
Long live the Queen
Thanks for the response. I did not get any notification for it so I am a bit late.
Although, staying in UK would not be possible as the scholarship contract states that I need to leave the country after studies.

markaan

May 18, 2021
If you are admitted to the University of Manitoba, have you checked whether you might qualify for scholarships or bursaries?
Here is some information from the university website.
https://umanitoba.ca/graduate-studies/funding-awards-and-financial-aid
I have not applied yet but I received a recommendation from a faculty member so I believe that securing the admission would be easier. From your response, I suppose you recommend going to Canada?
And I apologize for late response.

markaan

May 18, 2021
There are fairly strong indications that the Express Entry program is going to change. No one knows what this means. It could mean that the system changes back to a NOC specific list (like it was pre-2015). Or maybe not. What it takes to qualify and be selected now may not be true six months from now. So I would be careful making the assumption that the current rules will stay.

I would personally make the best decision for your education.
Hey, Thanks for your response.
I want to continue my studies as quickly as possible but unfortunately I cannot shake the feeling that it would close more days than it would open as the scholarship contract would force me to stay in my country for 2 more years and applying for a masters in the future for immigration would be tough as well as I would have a masters degree already.
Sorry for the late response.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hey, Thanks for your response.
I want to continue my studies as quickly as possible but unfortunately I cannot shake the feeling that it would close more days than it would open as the scholarship contract would force me to stay in my country for 2 more years and applying for a masters in the future for immigration would be tough as well as I would have a masters degree already.
Sorry for the late response.
Really depends what your goal/priority is, but your best window to migrate to Canada would be before the age of 30–ideally with a post-graduate degree AND at least 2 years of full-time work experience. You are still very young, so you have time on your side, if the current immigration rules and criteria stay in place.

Reactions: markaan

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020
I have not applied yet but I received a recommendation from a faculty member so I believe that securing the admission would be easier. From your response, I suppose you recommend going to Canada?
And I apologize for late response.
I don't know your whole situation, so I can't really "recommend" what to do, but if you can afford it, Canada seems the better option in the long run, assuming immigration rules do not change drastically.

markaan

May 18, 2021
Really depends what your goal/priority is, but your best window to migrate to Canada would be before the age of 30–ideally with a post-graduate degree AND at least 2 years of full-time work experience. You are still very young, so you have time on your side, if the current immigration rules and criteria stay in place.
Well, I am fairly inclined to get my masters there as well. Thanks for your input

markaan

May 18, 2021
I don't know your whole situation, so I can't really "recommend" what to do, but if you can afford it, Canada seems the better option in the long run, assuming immigration rules do not change drastically.
Yes, I agree. Consultants are very notorious/and or expensive in my region so I am just trying to make an educated decision.

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
Hey! You are really young now and getting a Master's is a good choice at this time. We can't really predict how the pandemic is going to change in 2022 (assuming if you take UK Master).
The question is, Is your UK master starting this year? - Then a safer bet to take it up.
I am assuming, you have not applied for Canada yet and the possibility that the admission window for this year might be closed including for scholarship. And I am also not aware if Canada provides winter session (Jan intakes). SO if that's the case, UK would be the better fit.

markaan

May 18, 2021
Hey! You are really young now and getting a Master's is a good choice at this time. We can't really predict how the pandemic is going to change in 2022 (assuming if you take UK Master).
The question is, Is your UK master starting this year? - Then a safer bet to take it up.
I am assuming, you have not applied for Canada yet and the possibility that the admission window for this year might be closed including for scholarship. And I am also not aware if Canada provides winter session (Jan intakes). SO if that's the case, UK would be the better fit.
Hey thanks for the response. Although, the main problem with the scholarship is that I can not apply for work or immigration visas for two years. And if I plan on applying for immigration after that, situation might be very different and since I would already have a masters, options would be very limited to immigrate anywhere.

AishB

Sep 29, 2020
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
AOR Received.
13-02-2021
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
Hey thanks for the response. Although, the main problem with the scholarship is that I can not apply for work or immigration visas for two years. And if I plan on applying for immigration after that, situation might be very different and since I would already have a masters, options would be very limited to immigrate anywhere.
The immigration problem is only for the UK right ? You will still be eligible for the Canada PR programs (based on whatever eligibility be required by than)

markaan

May 18, 2021
The immigration problem is only for the UK right ? You will still be eligible for the Canada PR programs (based on whatever eligibility be required by than)
It is quite up in the air. I have asked previous alumni and they are not sure as well. I have to sign a contract with a local body as well. I do not know if that would be a problem with immigration to other countries as well (I doubt it but various people have cautioned me that it might be a problem).
Secondly, as future of express entry is uncertain, don't you think it would be better to study in Canada to open other options such as CEC or PNP?
Studying in canada seems like a cost of opportunityto me.

Reactions: agsi432