+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best Option-Apply visitor extension or Implied status PGWP

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
I will be graduating by Aug 31 and within few days my grades will be released. My study permit expired on March 31st 2020 and I applied for an extension on February but there has been no update yet.
My dilemma is what I need to do after I graduate and to find the best option that will allow me to do authorized work as soon as possible. I studied 2 programs and will be eligible for 3 year PGWP. Also, my part-time employer will give me 1-2 months of leave of absence till I get papers/work permit ready.

Options:
1) Don't apply for any permit or restoration and just wait for the extension to arrive so that I can apply for PGWP right away (Don't know how long that is gonna take)
2) Apply for visitor extension and wait for the SP extension to arrive and apply for PGWP (similar to above option but I don't know whether international students are supposed to wait without applying for any kind of permit)
3) Apply for PGWP under implied status (along with restoration fee and with a detailed letter explaining everything- I have been hearing that I don't need to do restoration however to be safe I am going for all possible steps)

Whatever I step I take, if I don't my SP extension before my grades are out, I won't be able to do any work and I just want to find out the best way to create the shortest gap between finishing my studies and begin full-time work. Also, is there any truth to that people who apply twice for the same permit, they somehow can get their permit issued faster or something?

Thank you

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You can apply for a PGWP while on implied status on your SP extension, but you will have to wait to get the PGWP before you start working again. Keep in mind you cannot work on student status after graduation in any case, so there's no benefit if you "wait for the extension to arrive so that I can apply for PGWP right away."

You don't need to apply to change your status to visitor or to restore your status as neither of these situations apply to you. Nor should you submit more than one application; that's a ridiculous idea.

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
You can apply for a PGWP while on implied status on your SP extension, but you will have to wait to get the PGWP before you start working again. Keep in mind you cannot work on student status after graduation in any case, so there's no benefit if you "wait for the extension to arrive so that I can apply for PGWP right away."

You don't need to apply to change your status to visitor or to restore your status as neither of these situations apply to you. Nor should you submit more than one application; that's a ridiculous idea.
I was going through some posts and read that people who applied for PGWP under implied status, few days later they got the SP extension. However, IRCC agent confirmed that they can't work because they applied for PGWP under implied status. If they just wait for few more days, they would have gotten their SP extension and applied for PGWP and could start working right away instead of waiting for months for PGWP to be issued and allowed to work.

Also, I read some posts (in the November applicants thread) that since they were waiting for so long, they applied for the permit again and the 2nd one got processed much faster (they might have withdrawn the first application)

The only thing is if I get extension before my graduation, I can work right away after applying for PGWP but everything indicates I may not get the SP extension document before that.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
I was going through some posts and read that people who applied for PGWP under implied status, few days later they got the SP extension. However, IRCC agent confirmed that they can't work because they applied for PGWP under implied status. If they just wait for few more days, they would have gotten their SP extension and applied for PGWP and could start working right away instead of waiting for months for PGWP to be issued and allowed to work.

Also, I read some posts (in the November applicants thread) that since they were waiting for so long, they applied for the permit again and the 2nd one got processed much faster (they might have withdrawn the first application)

The only thing is if I get extension before my graduation, I can work right away after applying for PGWP but everything indicates I may not get the SP extension document before that.
Do you feel confident in predicting SP processing times these days?

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Do you feel confident in predicting SP processing times these days?
Processing times for people who applied lately are very quick, for majority. The agent once told me that they can keep an app open only for max 8 months by which they have to take an action. Don't know if they are going by the same rule during the covid times but if they are yes, it's worth waiting. Only if I see approval data from forums and responses, I can be more confident.

User1998

Aug 3, 2020
Hi! I am in the same situation as you. I applied for my study permit extension in March and will be graduating in August as well! If my permit does not get approved by the next week, I am going to go ahead and apply for my PGWP under implied status. Can you please let me know if you get any updates on your application?

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
Hi! I am in the same situation as you. I applied for my study permit extension in March and will be graduating in August as well! If my permit does not get approved by the next week, I am going to go ahead and apply for my PGWP under implied status. Can you please let me know if you get any updates on your application?
Sure, there are many students like us but I don't know the best option with least complication to do after graduation

User1998

Aug 3, 2020
Sure, there are many students like us but I don't know the best option with least complication to do after graduation
I would suggest waiting until the 3rd or 4th week of August. If there are no movements in the application, I guess the best thing to do would be to apply for the PGWP under implied. I spoke to an IRCC agent today and she told me that I can try submitting a webform and explaining my situation. Have you tried doing that yet?

rogertoland

Star Member
Apr 16, 2017
Canada
I would suggest waiting until the 3rd or 4th week of August. If there are no movements in the application, I guess the best thing to do would be to apply for the PGWP under implied. I spoke to an IRCC agent today and she told me that I can try submitting a webform and explaining my situation. Have you tried doing that yet?
Only like 6 times I submitted webform during the past 6 months just to receive the generic reply. Mine haven't even starting reviewing eligibility. My grades will be probably out by Aug 31st. May be wait for couple of weeks and apply for SP extension unless I get a better understanding of another possible solution. Life would be so simple if everyone got their permit at least after waiting for half a year.