+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best neighborhoods in GTA

Nc31

May 10, 2017
Please give your opinion if you have.
Yes, I have be researching :) but still need feedback from those who have leaved, leaving there or have family and friends who are there or have been there:)

We will be landing this summer with our 3 kids. Hubby will go back after landing and I will be staying back with our kids, he will be visiting from time to time. We are looking at GTA Oakville, burlington and Richmond hills but cannot conclude on which one.

I really want somewhere relaxing, good community, family friendly and good schools.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Yes, I have be researching :) but still need feedback from those who have leaved, leaving there or have family and friends who are there or have been there:)

We will be landing this summer with our 3 kids. Hubby will go back after landing and I will be staying back with our kids, he will be visiting from time to time. We are looking at GTA Oakville, burlington and Richmond hills but cannot conclude on which one.

I really want somewhere relaxing, good community, family friendly and good schools.
Asking for the "best" neighborhood without providing any indication of your affordability level is not going to be very helpful. The best neighborhoods are the Bridle Path, Forest Hill, Rosedale, etc. but prices are well into the tens of millions for houses there.

With regard to the three suburbs you mentioned, Burlington is the furthest from Toronto and Oakville is the second furthest. If you will be working in the city, that is definitely something to consider. All have good public schools (as well as some that you will want to avoid), and all three are "family friendly".

You would need to provide some additional criteria (e.g., where will you work, do you need access to transit, do you have any friends or relatives you wish to be close to, are you looking for exposure to any specific ethnic community, etc.) to get more information.

Nc31

May 10, 2017
Asking for the "best" neighborhood without providing any indication of your affordability level is not going to be very helpful. The best neighborhoods are the Bridle Path, Forest Hill, Rosedale, etc. but prices are well into the tens of millions for houses there.

With regard to the three suburbs you mentioned, Burlington is the furthest from Toronto and Oakville is the second furthest. If you will be working in the city, that is definitely something to consider. All have good public schools (as well as some that you will want to avoid), and all three are "family friendly".

You would need to provide some additional criteria (e.g., where will you work, do you need access to transit, do you have any friends or relatives you wish to be close to, are you looking for exposure to any specific ethnic community, etc.) to get more information.
Thanks @torontosm
I was looking at toronto before but we have decided to leave in GTA. I will be studying for the main time and just need somewhere very family friendly and low crime. I have friend in Richmond hill but their kids are grown and mine are still young, So my decision will not Base on that if Richmond hill is not family friendly.

lkaur765

May 27, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
19-08-2017

Even I am planning to land by July end or 1st week of August with spouse and 2 kids. My very close friend is based out of Oakville. She too advised that after lot of research they finalised Oakville.
Her Husband's job is in Toronto. Best points bout Oakville are:
1) Direct express train to Toronto that operates at late hours as well. ( Incase one gets late from work).
2) Good schools for kids
3) Friendly and calm neighbourhood

We too are in the deciding phase..so lets c.

Nc31

May 10, 2017
And we are going be in ontario for 1 to 2 years then we move Alberta.
Our budget is bw 2500 to 3000 including utility. Am open to any ethnic community as long as they are friendly, am black if that will help. I live in UAE and my kids are use to it, am just looking at somewhere close to that.
And also kids activities whether outdoor or indoor will be good to keep them busy

Nc31

May 10, 2017
Even I am planning to land by July end or 1st week of August with spouse and 2 kids. My very close friend is based out of Oakville. She too advised that after lot of research they finalised Oakville.
Her Husband's job is in Toronto. Best points bout Oakville are:
1) Direct express train to Toronto that operates at late hours as well. ( Incase one gets late from work).
2) Good schools for kids
3) Friendly and calm neighbourhood

We too are in the deciding phase..so lets c.
Oh that is good. Am not alone:D, I think oakville is leading. We are also landing in August with our 3 kids.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Asking this question without some idea of your budget, commute tolerance, etc. is rather pointless. Do people understand how expensive it is to live in the GTA today? At least its not Vancouver, I guess.

Nc31

May 10, 2017
Asking this question without some idea of your budget, commute tolerance, etc. is rather pointless. Do people understand how expensive it is to live in the GTA today? At least its not Vancouver, I guess.
If go through the comments you can see the budget for rent

Nc31

May 10, 2017
Like I said, I have researched about it. Just looking for feedback about best place to raise kids, community friendly and low crime

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Mentioned this before but Oakville may not be in the budget. If you are saying your budget is 3k max including utilities. Not sure if you are also including things like cable/internet but that means your budget is probably 2500-2700 max. Perhaps a townhouse if available. Affordable family housing is not easy to find in the most popular neighbourhoods. Burlington will likely be more affordable. Always recommend people pad their budget when coming to Canada since many things are move expensive than you may be used to like food, gas, insurance, childcare, children's activities, etc. Also in the case of families like @Nc31 you will also have to adjust to paying for 2 separate households while having your family income taxed at the Canadian tax rate.

Reactions: Nc31

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would recommend you keep all these areas on your list then visit properties when you arrive and then make a decision. I'm sure you also want a home that you also feel comfortable in and is in good condition.

Reactions: Nc31

Nc31

May 10, 2017
Would recommend you keep all these areas on your list then visit properties when you arrive and then make a decision. I'm sure you also want a home that you also feel comfortable in and is in good condition.
Ok.
Thanks @canuck78
Comfortable and good condition is first thing to consider when looking for a house. I will keep that in mind.
Thanks once again

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok.
Thanks @canuck78
Comfortable and good condition is first thing to consider when looking for a house. I will keep that in mind.
Thanks once again
You can decide what is important to you but I assume you not only want to live in a good area but a property that meets your needs and is in good condition. You have to remain a bit flexible if you are looking for a certain sized property within a certain budget in a tight rental market. Wouldn't narrow down your preferred location too much.