+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best mode to carry money that can be deposited in Canadian banks

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
My parents would like to bring in electronic money that can be safely deposit in their new accounts in Canada after landing
What mode is the best for this kind of transfer?
Is there a way that my parents can open an account with Canada bank before landing so that they can start wire transfer?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Yes you can open an account in Canada before landing. Since you have given very few details on where you are from (but based on your DP, I am assuming it is India) you can open Scotiabank account at most of the Kotak Mahindra Banks in India. It takes around 3-4 weeks.
After you open the account with Scotia, you can do one wire transfer to this account.

Post landing, go to the branch where you opened the account and activate it.

Alternatively just carry a Travelers cheque with required funds and open an account post landing. Carry some cash for immediate use as account opening could be delayed based on when you get your SSN etc.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
Yes you can open an account in Canada before landing. Since you have given very few details on where you are from (but based on your DP, I am assuming it is India) you can open Scotiabank account at most of the Kotak Mahindra Banks in India. It takes around 3-4 weeks.
After you open the account with Scotia, you can do one wire transfer to this account.

Post landing, go to the branch where you opened the account and activate it.

Alternatively just carry a Travelers cheque with required funds and open an account post landing. Carry some cash for immediate use as account opening could be delayed based on when you get your SSN etc.
travellers cheques are not commonly accepted these days.

also, OP maybe coming from India, banks there have stopped issuing travellers cheques.

CAD demand draft is expensive but an alternative to electronic transfer.