+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best city to find ESL/TEFL jobs

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can anybody here advise me on where the best places are in Canada for TEFL/ESL/EFL work? What is the job market like in the big cities? in small cities? A native speaker, I have ten years of experience in this field, a good degree, MA and a CELTA. Ideally I'd love to work in Montreal but am open to anywhere I can get work. I am happy to go to Vancouver/Victoria/Calgary/Edmonton/Toronto/Ottawa/Winipeg.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
bobbysocks888 said:
Can anybody here advise me on where the best places are in Canada for TEFL/ESL/EFL work? What is the job market like in the big cities? in small cities? A native speaker, I have ten years of experience in this field, a good degree, MA and a CELTA. Ideally I'd love to work in Montreal but am open to anywhere I can get work. I am happy to go to Vancouver/Victoria/Calgary/Edmonton/Toronto/Ottawa/Winipeg.
LOL. You've been a ESL teacher for ten yrs and ask this question? Go to either Vancouver or Toronto. The ESL market is so saturated here. Don't be surprised if you manage to get a job but are offered the minimum wage.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why dont you go to Asia and teach ESL? The scope and opportunities are much better

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to be white to teach English. There is no point being Asian-Canadian and teaching English in Asia. My friend already experienced it first hand and was dissapointed. His students looked at him funny because they couldnt get over the fact that one of their kind was teaching them English

yuvs

Jun 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2013 , CC Charged 13-07-2013
AOR Received.
PER 23-07-2013
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
Med's Request
05-12-2013
Med's Done....
07-12-2013, ECAS updated [with 3rd line] : 24-12-2013
Passport Req..
05-12-2013 , (Received by NDVO 10-12-2013), RPRF DD en-cashed : 27-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
30-04-2014 (Vancouver)
I agree with you..
newtone said:
Why dont you go to Asia and teach ESL? The scope and opportunities are much better

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
I realise that but that is not an option for me.

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
corazon3 said:
LOL. You've been a ESL teacher for ten yrs and ask this question? Go to either Vancouver or Toronto. The ESL market is so saturated here. Don't be surprised if you manage to get a job but are offered the minimum wage.
Yes, I've been an English teacher for 10 years OUTSIDE of Canada and I therefore do not know the Canadian market as well as those countries in which I've had experience teaching, hence my original question. However, thanks for your heads up on Montreal.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Hi,

As someone else has said with your qualifications a job in International school like Thailand would give you a lifestyle which you could only dream about in Canada. Even if you have children, housing, allowance is all taken care of in Asia. I am not sure why are you so insistent about teaching ELS in Canada, but it is an epic waste of time. If you could perhaps elaborate why is Canada an only option for you.

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in Thailand, BTW.

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I appreciate your time in writing to me. I am a Tefl teacher and wish to remain in my position. I don't wish to move to another profession or country. There are personal reasons too why I cannot move outside of Canada which I do not wish to reveal on a public forum. So can you trust me when I say that Canada is the only choice for me? Can you accept that I am in a position to know what is best for me in terms of location?

My original question was:

You said it was a waste of time, why do you say that? Is that the case everywhere?

mrbeachman said:
Hi,

As someone else has said with your qualifications a job in International school like Thailand would give you a lifestyle which you could only dream about in Canada. Even if you have children, housing, allowance is all taken care of in Asia. I am not sure why are you so insistent about teaching ELS in Canada, but it is an epic waste of time. If you could perhaps elaborate why is Canada an only option for you.

I am a Canadian citizen currently living in Thailand, BTW.

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
You can try with New comer centers all over the countries, here I found some Asian and South American are teaching ESL, they might adjust you. The other idea is you can explore to set up a business of our own if you think you can run such a business, but possibility of success is low if your ethic background is not white.

Another idea could be start teaching free initially just for few months, as people do volunteer work. Once Canadian experience you can cash that by selling to ESL center that you have been teaching this course in Canada.

Above are just suggestions if your mind set to ESL. Otherwise if you have good English speaking, reading and writing ability you can think of many other options starting from some volunteer work for sales and marketing jobs.

Good Luck

bobbysocks888

Oct 9, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Hasher. I've got a few interviews since my last post. I'm a native English speaker from Britain. I've been told to convert my CELTA to TESL. However, I do take your point that I should perhaps widen my choices within Canada to include other jobs.

[Hg How's your dad? Did you meet him before rather than after work? quote author=Hasher link=topic=167676.msg2671410#msg2671410 date=1382981732]
You can try with New comer centers all over the countries, here I found some Asian and South American are teaching ESL, they might adjust you. The other idea is you can explore to set up a business of our own if you think you can run such a business, but possibility of success is low if your ethic background is not white.

Another idea could be start teaching free initially just for few months, as people do volunteer work. Once Canadian experience you can cash that by selling to ESL center that you have been teaching this course in Canada.

Above are just suggestions if your mind set to ESL. Otherwise if you have good English speaking, reading and writing ability you can think of many other options starting from some volunteer work for sales and marketing jobs.

Good Luck
[/quote]

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Yeah... they want you to "convert" superior Celta to TESL, so you can probably meet the Canadian requirements for Teaching English as a Second Language. As to your original question, the best place to work in Canada would be any big city with a lot of immigrants. My first choice would be Toronto or Calgary.

However, as you probably know the real money in teaching English is with private lessons. Many do it over Skype and make really good money in which case you could be living anywhere in Canada.