+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best City in the GTA to Live In for Newcomers with Small Families.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The issue you will continue to run into is that there is a low vacancy rate in Canada and you are on a budget. You'll have to find a balance between finding an available apartment in your budget that will allow you to commute to work in hopefully less than an hour and is within one of your preferred school districts. You also need to decide whether you want English or French immersion in the secular school board or catholic school board. Going to one school or another is not a huge deal in Canada. It masters more on whether your child gets a good teacher that year.

Reactions: pseetha

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
The issue you will continue to run into is that there is a low vacancy rate in Canada and you are on a budget. You'll have to find a balance between finding an available apartment in your budget that will allow you to commute to work in hopefully less than an hour and is within one of your preferred school districts. You also need to decide whether you want English or French immersion in the secular school board or catholic school board. Going to one school or another is not a huge deal in Canada. It masters more on whether your child gets a good teacher that year.
Agreed with your point that end of the day the teacher is all that matters..but better schools have better teacher/ infrastructure etc.
Atleast in US..that's the case..at the same time my travel..since I would work in mississauga..both etobicoke and oakville / Burlington seem attractive..just confused how to decide

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agreed with your point that end of the day the teacher is all that matters..but better schools have better teacher/ infrastructure etc.
Atleast in US..that's the case..at the same time my travel..since I would work in mississauga..both etobicoke and oakville / Burlington seem attractive..just confused how to decide
The school system is very different than the US. Very few awful schools like you see in the US and the difference in quality of education between wealthy neighbourhoods and low income neighbourhoods are not that large. The ranking also are not accurate because they are likely skewed by a few new students who have just started going to school in English or French who may bring down the overall school test scores but will likely be all caught up in 1-2 years. Many great schools with awful infrastructure are ranked at the very top in Toronto it is only due to the fact that the schools are in established areas and the buildings are old.

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
The school system is very different than the US. Very few awful schools like you see in the US and the difference in quality of education between wealthy neighbourhoods and low income neighbourhoods are not that large. The ranking also are not accurate because they are likely skewed by a few new students who have just started going to school in English or French who may bring down the overall school test scores but will likely be all caught up in 1-2 years. Many great schools with awful infrastructure are ranked at the very top in Toronto it is only due to the fact that the schools are in established areas and the buildings are old.
Agreed with your points..I'm just confused between oakville / Burlington region or etobicoke.
I would work in mississauga and my only expectation is excellent school and apartments in that region.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agreed with your points..I'm just confused between oakville / Burlington region or etobicoke.
I would work in mississauga and my only expectation is excellent school and apartments in that region.
Nobody can tell you where to live. You'll have to look around and see what apartments are available, The vacancy rate is quite low so you have to find an apartment that is available and fits your budget.

Reactions: pseetha