08 Dec 09
Passport Req..
06 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 09
LANDED..........
04 June 10
hi..
I know the economy is not so good right now...but would appreciate if anyone can provide some insight about the best suitable cities for civil engineers and planners...Obviosly it will be a city where construction of infrastructure projects are at boom (other than real sector which is down right now).
Your valuable inputs will be appreciated.
Peace

sifarsen

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC,ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08 Apr 08
Doc's Request.
21 Apr 09
Med's Request
06 Nov 09
Med's Done....
08 Dec 09
Passport Req..
06 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 09
LANDED..........
04 June 10
gonzales said:
According to me that good candidates structural engineering are hard to find nowadays. If you are learning in that direction and precise, methodical, and have a good work ethic, I do not have any trouble finding a job, no matter what city you would like to live in.
Thanks a lot for your reply...Unfortunately, I am not a Structural Engineer. I am a planning engineer working in Abu Dhabi in an american company. I have worked in execution and then project management,but not in structural design...I would appreciate if you can provide some insight about project management scope in canada.
Peace..

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
since u are landed you will be a position to discover. but I think Ontario or Alberta will be ideal for you.

Later

Reactions: Avidreader748

sifarsen

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC,ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08 Apr 08
Doc's Request.
21 Apr 09
Med's Request
06 Nov 09
Med's Done....
08 Dec 09
Passport Req..
06 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 09
LANDED..........
04 June 10
EMO said:
since u are landed you will be a position to discover. but I think Ontario or Alberta will be ideal for you.

Later
Thanks for your reply.
I did my initial landing in June 2010. Stayed in toronto for 2 weeks,completed all the formalities and returned back....I didnt see much of construction going on in and around toronto...may be scenario is different in alberta...I would appreciate if anyone can provide some information in this regard.
Peace

sifarsen

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC,ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08 Apr 08
Doc's Request.
21 Apr 09
Med's Request
06 Nov 09
Med's Done....
08 Dec 09
Passport Req..
06 Nov 09
VISA ISSUED...
06 Jan 09
LANDED..........
04 June 10
CharlotteJ said:
CALGARY FOR SURE!
Thanks Charlotte for ur reply...I would appreciate if you can elaborate on the same. Is there lot of construction going on in Calgary. I thought Ontario and BC allocate more money in infrastructure development than any other province..
Also, I would like to thank you for ur informative post on your settling down issues. Wish you all the luck.
Peace

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
look at websites of local newspapers in canada where there is a lot construction going on or at job sites, it can give you a pretty good picture of the job market in different areas of Canada. have you already worked on being certified in Canada for your profession? I belive engineering jobs are regulated in Canada.

If you did, how did you go about it? My husband is an Electrical Engineer and once we get approved for PR, he wants his qualifications to be accredited or credited so he will be licensed/certified to work as an engineer.

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
you are welcome Sifar ...

Well, right now, there are pretty much a few constructions ongoing across downtown Calgary, like new skyscrapers etc, the most famous of which is the Bow and the huge project of Eight Avenue Place towers and shopping mall and many high end brands are also opening shops and offices in Calgary, all happening increasingly and steadily like Armani Exchange, Liv Au Lit and the only Crate and Barrel outside of Toronto is now in Calgary.

Calgary is busy shedding off his " Stampede" image off of its reputation and trying to become a real cosmopolitan hub and no longer a little crazy island in the middle of nowhere. Also the city is attracting more and more wealthy people but still has a long way to go to become really like Toronto I suppose, but they are doing a good job and I do support them and encourage the Calgarians in their new choice of lifestyle. It will only enrich their already rich and lovely city anyway.

Finding jobs in a specific area is difficult I can tell, but I suppose the only place where a lot is happening and currently ongoing with this regard is Toronto.

Building 1 Bloor building, which will be 72 floors tall and Aura currently under construction which will be the tallest mixed-used condo/office tower across Toronto at 75 and a whole range of brand new condo buildings like X2 (51 fl), Burano's (44), the U, the new Four Seasons hotel at 55 fl, the new Shangri-La hotel, the new Trump Tower and Hotel (the second tallest trump on this planet!) and a whole bunch of other buildings and sites planned to be given the green light.

But then again, and as I said in another post, have a plan B and C and D ready and at hand in case you can't find the right job and in the right field, your field.
:)

Sep 10, 2013
Hi,

Its been a long time for your post. i hope you have got what you wanted.
I have similar profile as yours. Planning engineer and i m also looking for immigration.
i have two choice Canada & Austraila. Please suggest on your experience what to do?
Thanks

satish6529

May 2, 2017
Thanks a lot for your reply...Unfortunately, I am not a Structural Engineer. I am a planning engineer working in Abu Dhabi in an american company. I have worked in execution and then project management,but not in structural design...I would appreciate if you can provide some insight about project management scope in canada.
Peace..
Hi. Could you please update me about your job hunt? Thanks.

optimaxx

Star Member
Aug 27, 2019
NOC Code......
Hi, I am civil engineering working as Planner with work experience of 10 years. Appreciate if someone can provide updated status on places where we can find joe bs as of 2019.
According to the CFIB report, vacancies for engineering jobs kept increasing in 2019. If you have relevant experience and education you should apply for the Express Entry as soon as possible since it can open you a pathway to becoming a permanent resident too.

https://www.cfib-fcei.ca/en/research/help-wanted-private-sector-job-vacancies-q2-2019

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
According to the CFIB report, vacancies for engineering jobs kept increasing in 2019. If you have relevant experience and education you should apply for the Express Entry as soon as possible since it can open you a pathway to becoming a permanent resident too.

https://www.cfib-fcei.ca/en/research/help-wanted-private-sector-job-vacancies-q2-2019
The data in terms of jobs in Canada doesn’t always seem to be accurate on the ground. I know people who struggle getting a civil engineering job in Toronto until she got her masters. She was able to get a job easily in the Yukon where she was from. Finding job availability in some of the larger cities may be difficult due to oversupply. If you are willing to move anywhere you will likely have better luck. Would really suggest talking to people currently working in your area of expertise across Canada about what is the actual job situation on the ground. LinkenIn would be a good resource. Keep any contact short and to the point and hopefully you’ll get some responses.

Reactions: optimaxx

EMO

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
Hi, I am civil engineering working as Planner with work experience of 10 years. Appreciate if someone can provide updated status on places where we can find jobs as of 2019.
Finding a job of your choice in Canada is a subject that is tough to delve into especially if you are still living outside of Canada. There are some mindsets that need tweaking to reality on the ground and how things work in Canada as a great nation.

My advice will be to network with people in your career of interest on LinkedIn whom you suspect has a similar background as yours and preferably those who migrated in recent years, as they will still be in touch with current realities.

Thought to drop by and chip this in. Hope it helps someone out there.

Musti82

Star Member
Oct 9, 2017
hi..
I know the economy is not so good right now...but would appreciate if anyone can provide some insight about the best suitable cities for civil engineers and planners...Obviosly it will be a city where construction of infrastructure projects are at boom (other than real sector which is down right now).
Your valuable inputs will be appreciated.
Peace
when i finish my education as international student and then became PR, all my friends were civil engineers, every single one of them went to Edmonton and Calgary, obviously this was the 2007-2008 era but its still same majority of the engineers are getting the job there in Alberta, maybe Toronto might be second choice, but its very competitive here.