+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best and Worst things in Canada

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I would like to open this thread to enlighten the prospect immigrants to Canada about living there. Even though the best way is simply to study this topic and if possible to visit Canada at least. I would like to ask any immigrant and Canadian born to list what is in your opinion TOP 5 best things and TOP 5 worst things in Canada. Please be honest.

gsantosjr

Sep 10, 2016
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-08-2016
AOR Received.
24-08-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
29-07-2016
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
13-12-2016
I think the top 5 may be highly affected by the country we currently live in.
Sorry, but I was not able to quickly find 5 worst things.

TOP (in order of importance):
* Less urban violence.
* Stable economy allows less interest rates.
* More educated people.
* Less social differences.

WORST:
* Distance and cold weather may reduce family visits.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
No jobs, high taxes and extreme winter weather.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Compared to where I come from:

Top best

Beautiful nature
Relaxed friendly people
Speed of getting / quitting a job
Speed of getting / giving notice on an apartment

Top worst

Lack of social safety net
Lack of paid sick days
Little paid vacation
Extreme weather

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Add high taxes to the list.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Compared to where I come from:

Lack of paid sick days
Little paid vacation
How much Canada offer paid vacation days a year? 10? I have seen that some companies in IT field pay sick leaves in Canada.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Most of the jobs are contract jobs. No paid leaves.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Softdev00 said:
How much Canada offer paid vacation days a year? 10? I have seen that some companies in IT field pay sick leaves in Canada.
In most provinces, you start with 2 weeks vacation and after 5 years with the same employer, you can get 3 weeks.

I have heard of mostly public service, educational etc. paying sick days but usually limited to 10-20 days per year. I know one person who works in a hospital and gets sick leave paid through a union insurance but mostly in Canada, if you don't work, you don't get paid. After 2 weeks of being sick though, you can apply for EI sickness benefits but that's only a very small amount that you would get for up to 15 weeks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ttrajan said:
Most of the jobs are contract jobs. No paid leaves.
I don't agree with that. Most people I know have paid vacations and also paid sick days.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ttrajan said:
No jobs. I have PR and working in my home country.
I personally think this is not true, if there would be no jobs then why Canada doesn't have high unemployment rate? Bad thing in Canada is that they rely so much on oil. The wise man would look other options as well to rely on, for example services. What do you work as?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
A huge amount depends on what you do, where you go and your level of experience. There is no "one size fits all" answer to the question of jobs/benefits.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
zardoz said:
A huge amount depends on what you do, where you go and your level of experience. There is no "one size fits all" answer to the question of jobs/benefits.
agreed. it's going to depend on the industry and type of employment. generally part time jobs will not have paid sick/vacation days. when working full time (and even on full time contract at some places), there will be paid sick/vacation. this isn't unique to canada, and i'd say canadian employers are quite generous compared to the US. my husband is in a union for the city and he gets 4 weeks vacation, plus enough sick time that equals short term disability for most places. i work for a private company and get 3 weeks vacation AND 3 weeks sick. most places will give at least 2 weeks vacation and sick... that's pretty standard.

personally i haven't found any "negatives" for moving here, and i haven't found it to be more difficult to get work than in the us. there are more people than good paying jobs no matter if you're in canada or another country. i'd argue there's LESS competition in canada since there are less people here, and in my experience it was easier to find employment here than in the us. for me, in the us, i was a small fish in a large pond. here i'm a bigger fish in a smaller pond, and my skills/work ethics are highly valued. not all places are going to have a lot of opportunity and not all places will have limited opportunities. people with very specific skills (not general) will find it easier to find full time employment. for those like me who have more general experience, it's not impossible to do. it takes time, effort, and sometimes doing jobs that are "below" education/experience level to get references. i worked part time for a year, then used that job to leverage myself into a full time position. i'm sure i could have been successful after 6 months as well.

for me i love the overall quality of life here. people are less stressed, friendlier and more respectful of eachother. i appreciate the gun safety laws and even the new "distracted driving" law in ontario. i don't mind the higher taxes because of what i get in return (healthcare, safe roads that are maintained, clean neighborhoods, snow removal, etc.). There are also a ton of free services for newcomers including language classes, mentorship/job search programs, etc. As for most things in life, you get out what you put in.

what isn't ideal to me are the high gas prices and the low value of the loonie. exchanging money to us is brutal right now... i wish it would go back up to a reasonable rate!