+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Being sponsored by finance

BuffaloSam

Jul 24, 2007
Hello,

I have just proposed to my girlfriend who currently resides in toronto , on. We both agreed it would be best if she sponsored me. I have a few questions however. If I get the sponsorship , I know that i would have to get married within 6 months. Would i then have to apply for a work visa , or will this also allow me to work ? I would need to work in order to help out with rent and to finish up arrangements for the wedding ... HELP!!!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BuffaloSam said:
Hello,

I have just proposed to my girlfriend who currently resides in toronto , on. We both agreed it would be best if she sponsored me. I have a few questions however. If I get the sponsorship , I know that i would have to get married within 6 months. Would i then have to apply for a work visa , or will this also allow me to work ? I would need to work in order to help out with rent and to finish up arrangements for the wedding ... HELP!!!!
Suggest you read www.cic.gc.ca as there is no longer a fiancee visa. You either have to be married or in a common/law relationship for 1 year. Once you are married, you spouse can then sponsor you. If it processed in Canada, it will take at least 8/9 months, during which time you will not be able to study or work. If it is processed through Buffalo, it should take about 3-16 months plus 43 days at Mississagua before it is forwarded to Buffalo. During this period until you become a PR you will not be able to work. You can look into work permits, but you need an employer in Canada who can demonstrate that there are no Canadians or PRs available for the position and the employer has advertised the position extensively.

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BuffaloSam said:
Can you explain to me what a common/law partner is ?
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02e.pdf starting at sec. 5.33

PMM

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
PMM said:
Hi

BuffaloSam said:
Can you explain to me what a common/law partner is ?
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02e.pdf starting at sec. 5.33

PMM

A Common Law Partner is - follow this link (I got it by browsing from CIC's home page): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp#common_law

Just in case the link from the last posting comes up with an error message, it still provides you with the option of clicking on the link that would take you to CIC's home page. So, the link PMM already gave you is still workable to access the main website for CIC Canada; just click on the link that says "home page" and bookmark it.

Then from the CIC website, browse through by starting with the web links on the left hand side of the home page, and most of the routine questions pertaining to the immigration process(es) are answered.

Or, you might be lucky and you will not get an error message, and will be able to access the .pdf file.

BuffaloSam

Jul 24, 2007
well we havnt lived together yet , we met after my band played a gig in toronto ... and we just sort of hit it off. We've been seeing eachother for a year , but havnt lived together. I've gone up every weekend and on occasion stayed for a couple weeks at a time. What do you feel is the best course of action to make this a possibility? Thank you soo much for your time/help.

-Sam

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Raven said:
Hi there,
Since you have an ongoing relationship for over a year then you would qualify for conjugal partner, so she can sponsor you. All you need is proof that the relationship is valid and ongoing......emails, letters, phone records....ect...to prove that you have been together for at least a year.

Best of luck!
The OP has about as much chance as qualifying as conjugal as the proverbial snowball in H**l read:

"People who are dating or who are thinking about marrying or living together and establishing a
common-law relationship are NOT yet in a conjugal relationship, nor are people who want to live
together to “try out” their relationship."

"5.45. What is a conjugal partner?
This category was created for exceptional circumstances – for foreign national partners of
Canadian or permanent resident sponsors who would ordinarily apply as common-law partners
but for the fact that they have not been able to live together continuously for one year, usually
because of an immigration impediment. In most cases, the foreign partner is also not able to
marry their sponsor and qualify as a spouse. In all other respects, the couple is similar to a
common-law couple or a married couple, i.e., they have been in a bona fide conjugal relationship
for a period of at least one year.
Both marriage and common-law partnership (common-law partnerships may be opposite-sex and
same-sex) are legally recognized in Canada for purposes of federal benefits and obligations
(Modernization of Benefits and Obligations Act, June 2000). In order to be eligible for federal
benefits, couples must either be married or meet the definition of common-law partner in each
statute or regulation. IRPA brought CIC’s immigration legislation into conformity with the
Modernization of Benefits and Obligations Act.
Because of Supreme Court decisions, the choice not to marry is a constitutionally protected
choice. Thus, CIC cannot require couples to marry in order to immigrate. However, if they are not
married, they must be common-law partners. There is NO provision for fiancé(e)s or “intended
common-law partners” in IRPA. If a Canadian and a foreign national can get married or can live
together and establish a common-law relationship, this is what they are expected to have done
before they submit sponsorship and immigration applications"

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BuffaloSam said:
So what do you sugguest PMM ?
1. Obtain a work permit for Canada, if you are able to qualify and find an employer.
2. Live together in either US/Canada
3. Sponsor her as a Fiancee to the US, they still have that option.
4. Marry.

PMM