+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Being non-resident for tax purposes but maintaining my PR

Alghali11

Mar 4, 2019
I got my PR last month and I am planning of leaving Canada for 3 years with my husband who is Canadian Citizen. we will be working outside Canada and we plan to come back after 3 years to Canada. In these 3 years I want to maintain my PR status in Canada by spending few month each year to meet the minimum requirements. I am not sure if my physical presence in Canada will count towards residency obligations if i declared that I am non-resident for tax purposes.
any thoughts?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got my PR last month and I am planning of leaving Canada for 3 years with my husband who is Canadian Citizen. we will be working outside Canada and we plan to come back after 3 years to Canada. In these 3 years I want to maintain my PR status in Canada by spending few month each year to meet the minimum requirements. I am not sure if my physical presence in Canada will count towards residency obligations if i declared that I am non-resident for tax purposes.
any thoughts?
You must contact CRA who will determine your status every year based on your ties to Canada. Your spouse needs to do this as well.