+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Being messed around by emplyer

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
I am a BC PNP Tech nominee with a closed work permit from a government job.

I have been messed around during the hiring process by a lack of due diligence from HR and my manager, where they have changed what they require a ridiculous amount of times, where they do not research a topic before agreeing to it and instead find out along the way. In addition to being unable to do very simple tasks such as signing into a website to send me some information I need for a visa.

I quit my last job to join them and I worked for 2 months with the understanding that I would get an LMIA, but it turns out my manager did not know what that was even though I told said manager multiple times that I needed it. This meant that my visa expired, however luckily I am now a PNP nominee with support from the organization due to my job type (this was my last option and wasn't available before as they wouldn't originally give me a 1 year term, which is fine but means that I could not work until I get a new visa).

I finally got a new visa, but now I have been told I can't start until after a security clearance (I was told I already had this as I had one done earlier this year - this took 6 months but luckily I had another job then). I then get told while I'm waiting I can be put on a contract. I then get told there is a new rule saying previous public servants can no longer be put on contracts.

This has left me in a horrendous situation where I have not worked at all in almost 3 months and I am just waiting around doing nothing but waiting for security clearance and spending my money. They are giving me no time line on how long it will take, I also have a closed work permit so I can't apply for a different job.

I am stuck right now and I have no real idea what to do. I assume legally I'm stuck as the employer is named on the visa - this means I can only work for them.

Any ideas what I can do before I go completely crazy?

Reactions: ImpatientDragon

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a BC PNP Tech nominee with a closed work permit from a government job.

I have been messed around during the hiring process by a lack of due diligence from HR and my manager, where they have changed what they require a ridiculous amount of times, where they do not research a topic before agreeing to it and instead find out along the way. In addition to being unable to do very simple tasks such as signing into a website to send me some information I need for a visa.

I quit my last job to join them and I worked for 2 months with the understanding that I would get an LMIA, but it turns out my manager did not know what that was even though I told said manager multiple times that I needed it. This meant that my visa expired, however luckily I am now a PNP nominee with support from the organization due to my job type (this was my last option and wasn't available before as they wouldn't originally give me a 1 year term, which is fine but means that I could not work until I get a new visa).

I finally got a new visa, but now I have been told I can't start until after a security clearance (I was told I already had this as I had one done earlier this year - this took 6 months but luckily I had another job then). I then get told while I'm waiting I can be put on a contract. I then get told there is a new rule saying previous public servants can no longer be put on contracts.

This has left me in a horrendous situation where I have not worked at all in almost 3 months and I am just waiting around doing nothing but waiting for security clearance and spending my money. They are giving me no time line on how long it will take, I also have a closed work permit so I can't apply for a different job.

I am stuck right now and I have no real idea what to do. I assume legally I'm stuck as the employer is named on the visa - this means I can only work for them.

Any ideas what I can do before I go completely crazy?
Sorry for your situation. I don't have much advice to offer unfortunately.

You certainly cannot work for another employer since you hold a closed work permit. You can only legally work for the employer named on your work permit. So the options would be to wait longer and hope this situation with your current employer is resolved soon or to look for another employer (of course you'd need to obtain a new closed work permit before you can start working for them which is no small feat). Remote work outside of Canada is possible on the closed work permit provided it's for a company that is not Canadian and they do no work in Canada / have no Canadian customers / clients.

Good luck.

s33d5

Apr 6, 2022
Sorry for your situation. I don't have much advice to offer unfortunately.

You certainly cannot work for another employer since you hold a closed work permit. You can only legally work for the employer named on your work permit. So the options would be to wait longer and hope this situation with your current employer is resolved soon or to look for another employer (of course you'd need to obtain a new closed work permit before you can start working for them which is no small feat). Remote work outside of Canada is possible on the closed work permit provided it's for a company that is not Canadian and they do no work in Canada / have no Canadian customers / clients.

Good luck.
Thank you for the reply, I am looking into remote work now.

I'm not sure if you'd know, or if someone else would. Under the BC PNP Tech nomination, would it be possible to change employers after BC PNP Tech nomination?

Thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply, I am looking into remote work now.

I'm not sure if you'd know, or if someone else would. Under the BC PNP Tech nomination, would it be possible to change employers after BC PNP Tech nomination?

Thanks again
I don't know.

Reactions: s33d5