+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Been working abroad, will there be a problem for the interview?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Let’s say one gets a full RQ, the evidence to be provided, such as employment and utility bills and bank information etc... all can easily be done with a few clicks within databases the government has full access to, yet they still have to ask ... another shining example of how tax payers’ money is wasted
Ah, I see where you are confused. The government (IRCC in this case) has absolutely no access to any of the data that you list. They even have to ask for explicit permission to access the data that CRA holds. It's all this Privacy Act stuff as well as other limitations.

Can-Da

Apr 13, 2018
Thank you Zardoz!
I do meet the physical presence requirement and have no issue with the compliance.
The only concern I have is since I am currently living and working abroad, my application's mailing address is still my last residence in Canada in case they sent any mails. Not sure if this will be questioned as an integrity issue?
Should I make effort to convince them that I am coming back next year with some ties (property, investment etc?)

Cheers,
Simon
Hi,
I am in the same situation.
I applied in April 2018 and I left Canada in August 2018 to work overseas. I passed my test and my interviewer inOctober 2018 and a positive decision made next day. Don’t worry, tell them the truth and you will be ok. Don’t listen to people in this forum who try to stress you.
Good luck

Last edited:

Madtravel

Jun 4, 2013
Hi,
I am in the same situation.
I applied in April 2018 and I left Canada in August 2018 to work overseas. I passed my test and my interviewer inOctober 2018 and a positive decision made next day. Don’t worry, tell them the truth and you will be ok. Don’t listen to people in this forum who try to stress you.
Good luck
Hi! Did you change your residential address to the one where you are actually residing or you keep it the same as a mailing address in Canada? Do you keep your residential ties with Canada - are you still tax resident of the country? What questions you were asked (if any) regarding your job abroad? Thank you

zsy54531

Nov 27, 2013
So I went there for the test and interview, passed and got the approval!
It was much faster than I thought, the test was easy, I got 19/20. Then they call your name by the order you finish the test, not by alphabet as we traditionally knew of.
The officer only asked me a few questions: where do you live, what do you do. when are you planning to come back. do you have problems with the police here?
So no worries for those who is abroad while application is in process. And don't get freaked out by the super long answers above, it's totally over-thinking.
as long as you meet all the criteria, and behave normally you will be just fine!

wix

Apr 12, 2018
So I went there for the test and interview, passed and got the approval!
It was much faster than I thought, the test was easy, I got 19/20. Then they call your name by the order you finish the test, not by alphabet as we traditionally knew of.
The officer only asked me a few questions: where do you live, what do you do. when are you planning to come back. do you have problems with the police here?
So no worries for those who is abroad while application is in process. And don't get freaked out by the super long answers above, it's totally over-thinking.
as long as you meet all the criteria, and behave normally you will be just fine!
Congratulations! Did you change your home address to the foreign address?

Can-Da

Apr 13, 2018
Hi! Did you change your residential address to the one where you are actually residing or you keep it the same as a mailing address in Canada? Do you keep your residential ties with Canada - are you still tax resident of the country? What questions you were asked (if any) regarding your job abroad? Thank you
No, just I keep my Canadian address.
Good luck

Madtravel

Jun 4, 2013
No, just I keep my Canadian address.
Good luck
Thanks for your reply! So in your case you didn’t hide that you are working and living abroad and at the same time you keep your residential address in Canada in their system ... and an officer didn’t have any concerns in regards to your system address being not where you actually reside abroad... The Canadian address is that where you had been living before moving abroad or it is just where your relatives/friends live and therefore could receive your citizenship mail? Thank you!

Can-Da

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for your reply! So in your case you didn’t hide that you are working and living abroad and at the same time you keep your residential address in Canada in their system ... and an officer didn’t have any concerns in regards to your system address being not where you actually reside abroad... The Canadian address is that where you had been living before moving abroad or it is just where your relatives/friends live and therefore could receive your citizenship mail? Thank you!
I told the agent that I kept my old Canadian address (I spoke with the man who took my apartment to signalize me any letter from CIC). The agent told me that it is OK because they need a Canadian address for correspondence. For my test, they didn't send a letter or email but I discover it in ecas. For oath letter, I am waiting now and the agent told me that that they will send an email.
Good luck

Pescatore

Feb 8, 2018
Hi, I was living out of Canada after submitting my application. Advised CIC of my change of a dreams gave them a Canada postal address. No problems at interview. So as everyone says always be open and honest.

zsy54531

Nov 27, 2013
Someone(@Can-Da ) is answering the questions on behalf of me???
Anyway, no harm. Here is my timeline:
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on May 10, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on July 10, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on August 8, 2018.
  4. We sent you a notice on October 15, 2018 to appear and write the citizenship test on November 21, 2018 at 8:16 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
  5. We sent you a notice on November 22, 2018 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on January 24, 2019 at 8:00 AM. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
It is of course GOOD to KNOW that IRCC currently is NOT approaching at least SOME, and perhaps many, or perhaps even most applicants living abroad, with RQ-level skepticism. So your reporting is valuable information.

But the conclusion you draw from your experience is simply NOT valid.

The conclusion does NOT logically follow from the premise. There are scores and scores and scores of examples throughout just this forum illustrating this. There are significant logistical RISKS involved if an applicant goes abroad to live or work while the application is pending. There are elevated RISKS of non-routine processing and timeline delays.

How things go for one individual NEVER for-sure indicates how things will go for someone else. NEVER.

The fact you did not encounter either does NOT mean there are no such risks.

Even how things go for many or most applicants CANNOT be relied upon to indicate how things will for-sure go for someone else. Even when most of the facts, most of the circumstances, are nearly identical. THERE ARE ALWAYS SOME DIFFERENCES IN THE FACTS. And those differences can have a big impact

And this is important. A big part of what this forum is about is providing information which will help prospective applicants and applicants better navigate the process, help them make informed decisions. While many topics here are about specific rules and instructions, most of which can be answered by the Instruction Guide itself or otherwise learned by reading IRCC online information, a huge part of what this forum facilitates is identifying RISKS and PITFALLS, so that applicants can recognize the RISKS and then make decisions which will improve their odds of avoiding those they can avoid, better preparing for those they cannot avoid, or otherwise making decisions with due consideration for the potential consequences.

Just the logistical contingencies attendant living abroad significantly increase the RISKS of something going awry, apart from the obvious increased RISK of RQ. (The fact you did NOT have non-routine processing related to requests for more information about presence does NOT indicate the absence of this risk. Note: I personally had several elevated risk factors for RQ, but was NOT RQ'd, but I certainly prepared for it in case it happened, precisely because I had a higher risk of it than most.) While many prospective applicants who are headed abroad after applying may have priorities compelling them to do so notwithstanding the risks, for many postponing going abroad is readily feasible and likely a more prudent decision. Otherwise, those going abroad should be aware of the logistical hurdles and be prepared for the possibility of non-routine processing and delays, IN CASE that happens.

Another caveat: going forward, we are NOW less than a year away from the next Federal Election, and the outcome of that election could have a dramatic effect on how IRCC approaches applicants who are abroad. If, for example, the Conservatives form the next government, historically they have employed a very negative approach those who they describe as "applying-on-the-way-to-the-airport" (in fact, when they last had a majority government, not only was the risk of RQ and a very lengthy delay in processing the norm for those living or working abroad, they attempted to change the law to in effect make living abroad while the application was pending a stand-alone ground for outright denying the application).

ahass

Nov 6, 2013
I had the exact same case, working in Canada for over 5 years. Studied in Canada before that. Left Canada temporarily for the last 3 months (almost 10 months after applyin) for a job in another country and also for family reasons. My interviewer was not as understanding unfortunately. I was completely transparent when he asked me if I was still working and he Immediately handed me a request for additional documents and said he needs to review my file further. My test score was 20/20 and the test itself came very late (13 months). So now Im stuck with additional delay. Only because I moved back temporarily 10 months after my application. So I would say it’s still a risk to move, even if it is temporary, even if it is much after the application.

uyuki314

Apr 26, 2015
Hi all,

I'm on the same boat. One question for you guys. Did you guys contact CIC that you are leaving Canada more than 2 weeks in a row.
When to contact us
While we process your application, contact us if any information on your application changes or if you:

Did you guys follow that?