+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Been in USA for 10 years..

Hiyume1

Oct 31, 2020
I was issued PR in 2008 after I married my canadian citizen wife in 2006. Unfortunately had to move back to the US in late 2009 and other then a few visits I have never been back, my wife has been living with me the majority of that time in the US, we are moving back to Canada very soon and from what I understand I still have been meeting the residency requirement since we've been together. Will it be difficult to renew the card once I'm back? Also what is the best way to cross the border since my card has been expired for 7 years, still provide it? I was reading on the CIC website I can provide my SIN card as proof of my PR status if my card is expired? Just dont want to be hassled at the border If possible.. Thanks

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was issued PR in 2008 after I married my canadian citizen wife in 2006. Unfortunately had to move back to the US in late 2009 and other then a few visits I have never been back, my wife has been living with me the majority of that time in the US, we are moving back to Canada very soon and from what I understand I still have been meeting the residency requirement since we've been together. Will it be difficult to renew the card once I'm back? Also what is the best way to cross the border since my card has been expired for 7 years, still provide it? I was reading on the CIC website I can provide my SIN card as proof of my PR status if my card is expired? Just dont want to be hassled at the border If possible.. Thanks
Collect the documents which establish that you both are staying at same address in past 5 years. Like credit card bills, utility bills with both names, home lease agreements etc. Along with these documents you should have CoPR and expired PR card. Then you can drive to border to enter Canada. Officer will assess your documents and let you in. Once you are in Canada, you can apply for new PR card with same documents.

Hiyume1

Oct 31, 2020
Thanks so much for your reply. I was able to gather taxes for the last 5 years, gas bill statement dating back 3 years (their records only go back that far), an official statement from state farm saying we have had insurance for house and cars for the last 10 years, closing details on our house from 2017, bank statements from the last five years with both of our names (should I print them all? Its like 400 pages) I don't have alot with both of our names from 2015-2016 up until near the end of 2017 for inexplicable reasons, will tax documents and bank statements from those years cover it, she wasn't on our previous house that would of covered 2015-2017 because of no credit history..

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much for your reply. I was able to gather taxes for the last 5 years, gas bill statement dating back 3 years (their records only go back that far), an official statement from state farm saying we have had insurance for house and cars for the last 10 years, closing details on our house from 2017, bank statements from the last five years with both of our names (should I print them all? Its like 400 pages) I don't have alot with both of our names from 2015-2016 up until near the end of 2017 for inexplicable reasons, will tax documents and bank statements from those years cover it, she wasn't on our previous house that would of covered 2015-2017 because of no credit history..
If the bank statements are too much to print, at least you can have the soft copies handy. However, please print other records for CBSA to verify. Border officer would most likely let you in without much hassle. The file will be scrutinized when you apply for PR card.

Note: You can not fly in with these documents. You have to drive through land border.