+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Been denied at the border twice.

NormanP

Mar 28, 2013
I have been arrested in North Carolina on two occassions. The first, I was charged with assault on my step son, who initiated the confrontation, and lost. I was found not guilty in court.
The second, I was charged with domestic trespass, breaking and entering, and damage to property, by xspouse. On the ill advice of my attorney, I plead no contest to Domestic trespass( a misdemeaner) and a subsequent charge of violation of restraining order( also misdemeaner)The other charges were dismissed.
I now know that even though I was not guilty of either, the fact that I pleaded no contest is what I am stuck with defending.
I attempted to visit my fiance in winnipeg last summer. I had researched as best I could online, charges considered inadmissable. Since the assault charge was not guilty, I did not know I needed documentation of the verdict, so I was turned away, as that verdict is not listed on the internet. At the time, the officer told me the arrest complaint that I showed him on the Domestic trespass, wasn't a concern for him.
I returned with the "not guilty " document, but this time, a different officer denied me based on the three charges listed on the Domestic trespass, breaking and enter, damage to property complaint. Her statement was that the three combined with no documentation of the severity, nor the verdict and sentence would not allow her to admit me.I now have documentation that shows only two misdemeaners are on my record, with other charges being dismissed. Attorneys I have contacted, and paid fees to, will not state with certainty that I would be allowed, but seem to think if I am willing to chance it, I would probably be allowed to visit.
Expense and a lengthy wait are one option, but I really don't feel neccesary. Any advice?