+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Becoming a non-resident

Whacket

Nov 6, 2015
I have already asked this question in another thread but realized that i was asking to very different questions so i want to split this out:

Hi, my fiance and i will be leaving Canada at the end of April and will be moving back to the UK with the plan to settle for the foreseeable future. We both have PR and have been in Canada for the last 4.5 year.

When we leave we would have sold our car, moved out of our rented apartment and will be swapping out our Canadian drivers licenses . The only ties that we have will be a small amount of items in storage that we are planning to ship back at a later date plus our bank accounts (credit card, and savings). The reason for us keeping the savings in Canada are we are hoping for the rate to change at which point we will move the money across. Credit card is so we have a means to purchase stuff until we are fully settled in the UK,

Our current plan is to file a departure tax return for each of us once we leave, with the hope that we are not required to file or pay Canadian taxes when we arrive back to the UK (more upheaval than we want) - Need to be classified to be as "non-resident"

With this... Without a T4 how do i determine the details needed in the tax return? or will the company provide that when i leave? Is this enough or should i file an NR73? Also, if i do not file an NR73, how will i be able to determine what my status is?

On another note, if we were to return home and feel that we have made a terrible mistake, then decide to return back... how does this affect our situation?