+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BCguy Question - Commuting to/from University (WA, USA to Vancouver, BC)

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BCguy -

I direct these questions to you since you work and live in the area, although anyone with knowledge is more than welcome to reply.

1. Is it permissible/legal to commute on a daily basis to university in CA (I live in Belllingham, WA)? I do not know how long approval process takes for student visa and thought I might me able to simply go to class in CA, while living in US while waiting for approval. I can either drive or take reg. scheduled train service (the AmTrak run from Seattle to Vancouver makes a stop here in Bellingham). With a NEXUS pass, border crossings shouldn't be too troublesome.

2. If I make daily entries into CA but never remain over night (Mon - Fri), do these "daytrips" accumulate until I hit the 6-months limit or does the clock restart anew each time I leave the country.

3. Do transit crossings count towards the 6-month limit? I often visit friends in Pt. Roberts which, as you know, require a 20 - 30 minute drive thru CA to reach. Would I "blow of my alloted days" by travelling to Pt. Roberts?

4. Do you happen to know whether SkyTrain would be a viable travel option for me in such a scenario. How far south does Vancouver-metro area transit system extend?

Thank you for any assisistance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, daytrips don't count with Immigration Canada because when they are looking at people who have PR and have been going outside the country, they don't count day trips as a day absent either.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
NeedleArtist said:
BCguy -

I direct these questions to you since you work and live in the area, although anyone with knowledge is more than welcome to reply.

1. Is it permissible/legal to commute on a daily basis to university in CA (I live in Belllingham, WA)? I do not know how long approval process takes for student visa and thought I might me able to simply go to class in CA, while living in US while waiting for approval. I can either drive or take reg. scheduled train service (the AmTrak run from Seattle to Vancouver makes a stop here in Bellingham). With a NEXUS pass, border crossings shouldn't be too troublesome.YES IKNOW MANY PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN BIRCH BAY OR BLAINE WHO COMMUTE DAILY,SEVERAL PEOPLE I KNOWALSO LIVE IN POINT ROBERTS AND WORK IN SURREY AND RICHMOND

2. If I make daily entries into CA but never remain over night (Mon - Fri), do these "daytrips" accumulate until I hit the 6-months limit or does the clock restart anew each time I leave the country.NO

3. Do transit crossings count towards the 6-month limit? I often visit friends in Pt. Roberts which, as you know, require a 20 - 30 minute drive thru CA to reach. Would I "blow of my alloted days" by travelling to Pt. Roberts?NO

4. Do you happen to know whether SkyTrain would be a viable travel option for me in such a scenario. How far south does Vancouver-metro area transit system extend?THE FURTHEST SOUTH IS SURREY KING GEORGE,THATS STILL a 20 MINUTE DRIVE TO THE US BORDER

Thank you for any assisistance!
Welcome to BC and If you have any problems contact me