+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP - understanding the initial process

aus_national

May 27, 2010
I am about to apply for the BC PNP and was wondering, once you receive the initial nomination from the province, does this automatically entitle you to work on some sort of temporary work visa while you wait for the permanent residence application to be approved?
My current situation is that I am an Australian on a 2 year Canadian working holiday visa which expires around September 15th which I cannot renew. I am currently working full time. I would like to continue working for this same company which will provide me with the guaranteed job offer for my BC PNP application, but am worried that when my working holiday visa expires I will not have a work permit to continue working.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

callmeashley

Jul 19, 2010
Hi,

I am on a working holiday visa (which is what i assume you too are on) the visa does state that this cannot be extended. However there is a loop hole. You have to apply for an extension of your current status, this is available online CIC website. Once you put this application in on it, it has to state that you are on a working holiday visa and you have submitted your application via the PNP to stay on a permanent basis and that you would like to be able to work legally until you receive an answer from them. This in legal terms is called "implied status" it is completely legal and allows you to stay on the conditions of your current visa. You have to send this in before your current visa expires though, and you can not leave the country until they give you a decision (around 61 days) otherwise you can only be here as a visitor.

I hope this helps