+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP or CEC - might get laid off

ktm_rider

Jan 21, 2014
Hello all,

I am new to Canada and the immigration system here. I would like to say that this is by far the BEST forum out there on Canadian immigration.

Now to my questions. So, i came to BC as a Mechanical Engineer on a work permit through my employer. They put in a LMO and got approved and hence i got the work visa.

I started working late May and now my employer has agreed to file for a BCPNP for myself. However, things are a bit shaky at work and am not sure if i will have a job through this employer throughout the duration of my PNP application and PR application. I think the total time is somewhere around 15-16 months.

I also qualify for a CEC in 4 months from now. I understand that i have to take an English test. I went to USA for my degree, do i still have to take the english test?

So, i am in a dilemma as to whether wait for 4 months and apply for CEC which has a lower approval rate or go forth with BC PNP which has a higher rate of approval. I am thinking of applying for BC PNP and waiting it out and also applying for CEC when i qualify for it.

Can i apply for CEC and BC PNP at the same time? What would the process be? Also do i have to be in Canada to apply for CEC?

Thanks in advance

spookyb

Mar 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
22-Mar-2013
Med's Request
06-Dec-2013
Med's Done....
16-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
24-Mar-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-Mar-2014
LANDED..........
10-Apr-2014
ktm_rider said:
Hello all,

I am new to Canada and the immigration system here. I would like to say that this is by far the BEST forum out there on Canadian immigration.

Now to my questions. So, i came to BC as a Mechanical Engineer on a work permit through my employer. They put in a LMO and got approved and hence i got the work visa.

I started working late May and now my employer has agreed to file for a BCPNP for myself. However, things are a bit shaky at work and am not sure if i will have a job through this employer throughout the duration of my PNP application and PR application. I think the total time is somewhere around 15-16 months.

I also qualify for a CEC in 4 months from now. I understand that i have to take an English test. I went to USA for my degree, do i still have to take the english test?

So, i am in a dilemma as to whether wait for 4 months and apply for CEC which has a lower approval rate or go forth with BC PNP which has a higher rate of approval. I am thinking of applying for BC PNP and waiting it out and also applying for CEC when i qualify for it.

Can i apply for CEC and BC PNP at the same time? What would the process be? Also do i have to be in Canada to apply for CEC?

Thanks in advance
ktm,

I'm not completely familiar with the BC-PNP, but most PNP's require you hold the job throughout the process if you've been sponsored by the employer, so you should keep that in mind. Having said that, you can apply for two different programs. It will be twice the fee and duplicate documents, and you will be asked to withdraw one application when the other is finalized.

For the CEC, you do not have to be in Canada to apply.

You will have to take an English test, even if you studied in the US. My wife and I are both US graduates, but still had to take the IELTS.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ktm_rider said:
I understand that i have to take an English test. I went to USA for my degree, do i still have to take the english test?

Unfortunately, yes. There are two you can chose from, the IELTs or the CELPIP. There can be a long wait to get a seat for an exam, so I recommend getting on this ASAP. Make sure you request at least 2 extra copies of the score report, if you plan to apply to 2 programs.

Can i apply for CEC and BC PNP at the same time?
Yes, it is permitted, alas you have to pay the application fees x2 as well.

What would the process be? Also do i have to be in Canada to apply for CEC?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/cec.asp

See the Instruction Guide and Document checklist. You do not need to be in Canada to apply, but your experience cannot be older than 3 years at the time you apply.